Sheffield Traded to Tigers..

bschmaranz

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
He was a top prospect but he wasnt THE top prospect. When you take health, age, stuff and projections into account, I would've placed Sanchez as Detroit's #3 pitching prospect. But how much "major league caliber" starting pitching does one organization really need? I count the Tigers having TEN arms that could start for them next season, if need be. If any team had room to trade a couple of quality young arms...it was Detroit without question.

Bookmark'd

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
If there's any justice in the world, a general manager out there will pull a Dave Dombrowski and overpay for one of our starting pitchers. It's just annoying to me how fortune falls onto the hands of New York -- a team which doesn't need it. Even if none of the prospects pan out, it's far better than say a compensation pick.

Considering what Sheffield cost the Tigers, in a pitching market where even Jeff Suppan may command 7-9 million, anything less than two quality prospects is a travesty. Please lord, have someone overpay for our players. Other teams are doing it!!!!11

Somebody needs to get you some Prozac or something.

I place almost no value in individual prospects, so get a bunch of them and hope one pans out. There is no guarantee that any of these guys will make the 25 man roster, or once there have any impact. If we are scoring who wins this trade in 2007, I'd say Detroit. Perhaps down the road, if one of these guys pans out, the trade will need to be rethought. But I don't think the Yankees lineup is better without him. These guys didn't play for the Tigers. He's an upgrade for what they had. For that, I like this trade for Detroit.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 07:31 AM)
I place almost no value in individual prospects, so get a bunch of them and hope one pans out. There is no guarantee that any of these guys will make the 25 man roster, or once there have any impact. If we are scoring who wins this trade in 2007, I'd say Detroit. Perhaps down the road, if one of these guys pans out, the trade will need to be rethought. But I don't think the Yankees lineup is better without him. These guys didn't play for the Tigers. He's an upgrade for what they had. For that, I like this trade for Detroit.

A lot of that is going to depend on the health/growth of their rotation. Detroit does have a lot of options at starting pitcher, which lessens the pain somewhat, but they still gave away one of their best backup plans for this season. Especially if injuries or regression hits any of those guys a bit.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
A lot of that is going to depend on the health/growth of their rotation. Detroit does have a lot of options at starting pitcher, which lessens the pain somewhat, but they still gave away one of their best backup plans for this season. Especially if injuries or regression hits any of those guys a bit.

No doubt, but after 30+ years of watching prospects, I will take a major league ready player, especially a starter, over two or three prospects. I barely take a glimpse at the draft, except to see what positions are being drafted, add four or five years and see how that might fit.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)

Maybe not, but the team will be better without him.

After reading how Jaret Wright was acquired by the Orioles for their 25 year old rookie-reliever Chris Britton, I'm utterly convinced we should receive quite a return for any of our starters.

If an oft-injured pitcher such as Wright is worth a young reliever with respectable numbers, how much could Garcia or Buehrle bring in? Orioles were so desperate to avoid bidding for Wright in the free-agent market they gave their divisional rival an additional reliever.

I just hope when the opportunity arrives and one of our SP's are delt, we're not forsaking a quality package because Williams is unwilling to eat a certain amount of their salary. If trading Garcia means paying 4 million to receive the best in return, so be it.

this is a fanstastic trade by the Yanks. There was a report they might pick up Sheff's option, then he freaked out, they still picked it up, and everyone knew he was going to be out of the Bronx, and they still get Sanchez and 2 solid relief prospects?

For a guy they didn't plan on keeping, that's a hell of a return, plain and simple.

As far as Detroit's side of the deal...Sheff will always be a good hitter, power or not, and that I have no doubt about.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)

One of their best backup plans? Backup for what? Definitely not starting pitching.

Sanchez was behind the following pitchers on Detroit's "starting pitching" depth chart...

Bonderman

Verlander

Maroth

Rogers

Robertson

Miner

Ledezma

Miller

Colon

Tata

And he was probably tied with Jair Jurrens.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
Maroth has never lived up to the hype and with a bad elbow I doubt he ever will.

but who knows, maybe he can actually field his position. That would be a bonus in that rotation.

When did Mike Maroth ever have any "hype"?

All I know is that he was having a great season prior to his injury last season.

Couple thoughts that I haven't seen brought up yet...

1) Sheff is a righty... Tigers needed lefty bats last year so it doesn't fill that need althought he immediately becomes their best right handed hitter...

2) SANCHEZ *INJURY* is what kept Tigers from dealing him to Washington for Soriano... Once Sanchez missed that infamous start in Toledo, Washington backed off... Sanchez when on the shelf briefly, came back and hurt the same elbow...

Moral of the story, I think the Tigers knew more about Sanchez's medical history (and tapped his future as questionable) than they let on ... this is the same organization that let John Smoltz go for Doyle Alexander... they won't repeat that mistake again.

As for Sheff's "clubhouse" issues - Leyland was happy as a pig in slop... he's a large supporter of Sheff and will surely keep him in check in the clubhouse... The Tigers clubhouse was very happy go lucky last year - IRod, Mags, and the like all got along because Leyland changed the attitude... there were never any problems in their clubhouse last year.

Edited by wsdp

QUOTE(wsdp @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
As for Sheff's "clubhouse" issues - Leyland was happy as a pig in slop... he's a large supporter of Sheff and will surely keep him in check in the clubhouse... The Tigers clubhouse was very happy go lucky last year - IRod, Mags, and the like all got along because Leyland changed the attitude... there were never any problems in their clubhouse last year.

That will change this year. He doesn't have clubhouse issues he has "quality (or lack thereof) of human being issues"

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
That will change this year. He doesn't have clubhouse issues he has "quality (or lack thereof) of human being issues"

He worked with Sheff in Florida - they have a relationship off the field and Leyland's a no non-sense guy... not sure where you're coming from...

QUOTE(wsdp @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
He worked with Sheff in Florida - they have a relationship off the field and Leyland's a no non-sense guy... not sure where you're coming from...

I've worked with him in the past as well. Leyland was with Sheffield for one year before he left. Leyland may be able to deal with him but the other players will not.

QUOTE(wsdp @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Couple thoughts that I haven't seen brought up yet...

1) Sheff is a righty... Tigers needed lefty bats last year so it doesn't fill that need althought he immediately becomes their best right handed hitter...

2) SANCHEZ *INJURY* is what kept Tigers from dealing him to Washington for Soriano... Once Sanchez missed that infamous start in Toledo, Washington backed off... Sanchez when on the shelf briefly, came back and hurt the same elbow...

Moral of the story, I think the Tigers knew more about Sanchez's medical history (and tapped his future as questionable) than they let on ... this is the same organization that let John Smoltz go for Doyle Alexander... they won't repeat that mistake again.

Did you bring up this point yet?

38 years old, cant use the juice anymore.