Dave Roberts looking like a strong possibility

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

IMO, he is better than Pierre. Comes cheaper and is a better overall player.

I'm a big fan of signing Roberts as a stop gap. .344 career obp which isn't fantastic but he can run and has a real good steal rate, so he'd be in scoring position a decent amount. Ozzie also gets his speed at the top of the order and he's a pretty nice upgrade over Pods. He also shouldn't be that expensive so I think it'd be a nice value sign. I'm all for it.

Edited by Rowand44

I could imagine a line-up like this:

CF-Roberts

SS-FA/trade (Lugo woud be nice or Uribe trade bring back)

RF-Dye

DH-Thome

1B-Konerko

3B-Crede

2b-Iguchi

C-AJ

LF-Fields/Sweeney

I really think we need the top two hitters to be speedy contact hitters, and then stack teh bottom the line-up. I dont think this lineup is unfeasable at all and it would make the offense much more consistent.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
stop gaps are solutions that medoicre teams sign. Pods is ajust as good as Roberts and he isn't much if any improveemnt over Pods.

:huh: You Could sign him for maybe a year with an option and see if Ryan is ready next season. I see that as a very smart move made by a good team to help let your younger talent develop. As far as Dave vs. Scott, Roberts can actually play the "Ozzieball" game better. He can still steal bases at a good rate, he can actually bunt and he can at least catch the ball in left field. He's an upgrade over Pods especially with our manager and it shouldn't cost that much money.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
stop gaps are solutions that medoicre teams sign. Pods is ajust as good as Roberts and he isn't much if any improveemnt over Pods.

I would consider Roberts a considerable upgrade over Pods.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
I'm a big fan of signing Roberts as a stop gap. .344 career obp which isn't fantastic but he can run and has a real good steal rate, so he'd be in scoring position a decent amount. Ozzie also gets his speed at the top of the order and he's a pretty nice upgrade over Pods. He also shouldn't be that expensive so I think it'd be a nice value sign. I'm all for it.

All of those things, plus he'd bring another veteran presence, a team-oriented attitude, and he's just flat out a good guy.

I'd really like this signing.

He's better than Pods, but like fathom pointed out, he rarely if ever has been able to stay healthy a full season. He has his big season during a contract year, that scares me, and he's 34 years old. That's a time a lot of players whose game depends almost entirely on their legs fall off a cliff. There aren't many 35 or 36 year olds who steal 45 bases a year. Maybe he can be one, but I wouldn't bid too high.

Dave Roberts and Scott Podsednik are both each other's number one comparables on baseball-reference.com. But Roberts strikes out much less and is the more valuable leadoff hitter at this point in time. He seems to be getting better as he passes his 'prime' years which is unusual.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could imagine a line-up like this:

CF-Roberts

SS-FA/trade (Lugo woud be nice or Uribe trade bring back)

RF-Dye

DH-Thome

1B-Konerko

3B-Crede

2b-Iguchi

C-AJ

LF-Fields/Sweeney

I really think we need the top two hitters to be speedy contact hitters, and then stack teh bottom the line-up. I dont think this lineup is unfeasable at all and it would make the offense much more consistent.

Why the hate for Anderson?

I recall reading that Roberts might sign with the Giants if Bochy went there.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

IMO, he is better than Pierre. Comes cheaper and is a better overall player.

AGREED, and better than Pods too. I'll take it in that respect, no doubt.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I would be interested in what you think of Thome? I think people have some sort of impression that Roberts is nearing 40. He is 34.

People are concerned that a guy that plays his game based on speed is more of an age concern since the speed goes first it seems like. Good point though.

The other thing I like is that the Roberts is over 80 percent for his career and was over 80 percent last year in stolen base success rate. That's actually stealing to HELP YOUR TEAM, as opposed to number padding. If you can steal at 80 percent success or more like Dave, you actually help produce additional runs.

Ideas as to how much cash and years Roberts is going to get? Out of leadoff outfielder types that I can think of -- Frank Catalanatto (sp), Gary Matthews Jr, and Juan Pierre (am I missing any?) -- it's possible Roberts gets the least amount of money of the group. Him or Cat, for sure. Again; the Sox shouldn't be making "leadoff hitter" into a position, per se. If Roberts wants more than two years at five million per... Well, he's really not the type of player who deserves that.

If they really want to get the slappy leadoff hitter type, I'd go after whichever of the two wants less money, Cat or Roberts. Cat has more power and better on-base skills, but I'd venture to guess that Roberts' baserunning and defensive skills are better than Cat's. All in all, they're pretty similar players.

Win Shares and VORP both have Roberts as the better player, and I'm not sure how well those stats can incorporate baserunning, so I'd probably rather have Roberts. I would just force Ozzie to realize that Anderson is the starting CFer, and if, say, Jerry Owens turns out to be the 4th OFer, he's not playing for BA every third day.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
3E8 brought up a good point with Cat and our LHH situation. The killer for us last year seemed to be our inability to hit LH, especially at the top of the order. Neither Roberts or Cat are especially good at hitting LHP, but it's hard to find guys that are, the leadoff spot even more so.

Im really not sure what Williams has in mind for the lead off spot, but getting someone at the top of the order than can knock around LHP is something that needs to be on the top of the list this off-season.

Is Eduardo Perez a FA, because he kills lefties. Or LeCroy, as a first baseman/pinchhitter

I'm definitely not a fan of signing Roberts.

We're supposedly going for it; acknowledging a window of opportunity only extends as far as our rotation, yet we're in negotiations with Dave Roberts as a "stop gap" solution in LF?

It wouldn't irritate me if the difference between Roberts and Podsednik weren't so minimal. I don't acknowledge "intagibles" such as veteran experience or a likelihood of accepting Ozzieball, either. I believe any gain earned is minimal. Might as well hold onto Podsednik.

Honestly, how does this improve our ballclub? Look at the roster, people: LF may be one of the few positions Williams can realistically improve. SS and CF are the only other viable areas for improvement, but it's not clear whether Anderson or Uribe are at risk of losing their jobs.

I'm not suggesting Williams run out and spend a large sum of money to reinforce our "win-now" attitude. I understand personnel decisions don't necessarily have to be flashy or expensive to prove successful. But Dave Roberts?!

As I suggested in another thread, a RH platoon player would prove more useful. Such a move would force Guillen not to misuse Mackowiak in CF.

If KW brings Roberts in to leadoff, do you think he'd be bringing him in as a LF or a CF? Like just about everyone else on this site, I want Pods gone. Are we sure that KW wants him gone too? Is KW sold on Anderson in CF?

The reason I ask is that a lineup which includes Roberts in CF and Pods in LF would be scary bad.