Trade Winds?/Good Suntimes Info

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Oh I agree I just wanted to throw that out there thats all .

As far as Coco goes ,I think a more likely scenerio would be Garcia for Coco and a quality prospect or two .

I've spoken with Coco. I like him....... He's would be an assett to the team.

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Oh I agree I just wanted to throw that out there thats all .

As far as Coco goes ,I think a more likely scenerio would be Garcia for Coco and a quality prospect or two .

I've spoken with Coco. I like him....... He's would be an assett to the team. Edited by forrestg

How would people feel about giving Walker and Speier around 4M deals for 2 seasons with a team option for a 3rd? (think of the deals Howry and Scott Eyre got last off-season).

It significantly beefs up our pen, adding Speier and Walker to Jenks, MacDougall, Thornton etc. should definitely increase our bullpen ERA from last season which we majorly struggled at.

Signing Walker gives you the flexibility to trade Cotts + prospect for say Coco Crisp as well, if you don't want to sign Pierre or Dave Roberts in the off-season.

Wonder what the Angels would want for Figgins as well? I assume they're gonna go real hard after J.D Drew now since they missed out on Ramirez today.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
How would people feel about giving Walker and Speier around 4M deals for 2 seasons with a team option for a 3rd? (think of the deals Howry and Scott Eyre got last off-season).

It significantly beefs up our pen, adding Speier and Walker to Jenks, MacDougall, Thornton etc. should definitely increase our bullpen ERA from last season which we majorly struggled at.

Signing Walker gives you the flexibility to trade Cotts + prospect for say Coco Crisp as well, if you don't want to sign Pierre or Dave Roberts in the off-season.

Wonder what the Angels would want for Figgins as well? I assume they're gonna go real hard after J.D Drew now since they missed out on Ramirez today.

So your talking about a pen with :Jenks,Thorton,MMac,Speier,Walker and Riske and poss. Hager as a 12 th pitcher .That on paper would be one hell of a pen .Would take alot wear and tear off the starters ,BMac especially ,with 07 being his 1st full season you would want to keep his innings down .

The only thing is I hate to give up on Cotts but I guess you have to give up something to get Coco .

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You want to give $4million per to Walker??? Or are you expecting both will settle for 2 year, $2 million per deals? In the first case, that's too much for Walker. In the second case, that's not enough for Speier.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
You want to give $4million per to Walker??? Or are you expecting both will settle for 2 year, $2 million per deals? In the first case, that's too much for Walker. In the second case, that's not enough for Speier.

Walker's had an ERA under 4 IIRC for the last 5 seasons, and had a great season this year. Scott Eyre got something like 3 years for $11M didn't he? So Walker will find a way to get paid, because he's the best lefty reliever out there, and there's always a big demand for those.

Speier may cost more possibly, but I'm hoping the Sox go in hard for him early, and maybe offer some incentives to that deal and a team option for a 3rd or 4th season, probably will have to go 3 years to get a deal done actually.

Scott Eyre said he and his agent had a set price, and Jim Hendry overbidded, so he went to the Cubs. Eyre was more than a LOOGY with all of his appearances in 2005, so I expect Walker to get a contract similar to Mike Myers'.

I'm not that big of a fan of signing free agent relievers to multi year deals, but I'd take Walker if he agrees to something like Myers' contract.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
From the links I see on ESPN, Walker already made more in 2006 than what Myers did in 06.

Walker is going to get paid this off-season, and I dont really have a problem with it being from the Sox. Guy has put up solid numbers the last 4 years.

But his numbers against the tough lefties of our division are not that good.

Twinks

Morneau is hitting 400 against him

Mauer is hitting 714 against him

Injuns

Hafner is hitting .385

Sizemore is hitting .750

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)

Dbaho, stop playing with my emotions. Our 'pen would be f***ing' sick!

The major thing I am worried about with signing Walker though is that he had a post ASB 4.50 ERA with a .306 BAA.

He has better splits against lefties, and finished with a 2.81 ERA, but the Sox need to figure out why he went Neal Cotts like at the end of the season, and whether over the course of the next few seasons if Walker would be an upgrade over Cotts.

The problem with trying to sign both Spier and Walker is that the sox current pen may actually work against them. Because of their back end depth of Jenks, Macdougal and Thorton they may not want to sign on as a perceived middle relief man or someone who would get limited meaningful opportunities/holds.

QUOTE(cws05champ @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
The problem with trying to sign both Spier and Walker is that the sox current pen may actually work against them. Because of their back end depth of Jenks, Macdougal and Thorton they may not want to sign on as a perceived middle relief man or someone who would get limited meaningful opportunities/holds.

Your right but another way to look at it is they may want to sign for that easy $ .Theres not as much pressure like with the set up or closer roles .Dont get me wrong you still have to hold a team to get to the set-up/closer .

IF the Sox signed Speier and Walker, they would be the middle men. Matt and Mike would retain their setup duties.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Urbina? I can't find anything regarding the outcome of his trial, if he's still in jail, etc. Being a close friend of Ozzie, I'd think he'd be amicable to signing with the Sox (assuming he's been liberated), perhaps to a cheap one-year incentive-laden deal to re-establish himself as a major-leaguer after a long layoff.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
IF the Sox signed Speier and Walker, they would be the middle men. Matt and Mike would retain their setup duties.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Urbina? I can't find anything regarding the outcome of his trial, if he's still in jail, etc. Being a close friend of Ozzie, I'd think he'd be amicable to signing with the Sox (assuming he's been liberated), perhaps to a cheap one-year incentive-laden deal to re-establish himself as a major-leaguer after a long layoff.

Jail or prison ?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox12.article

Chris De Luca says:

Garcia/Buerhle two most likely to go

Sox will make run at Roger Clemens

Jamie Walker atop wish list as reliver

Neal Cotts will be shopped

Dave Roberts/Pierre interested in Sox

Sox covet Michael Young

I know a lot of this is old news, but some is new. BTW, we should get the Trade Winds/Rumor Mill thing back.

Why would we go after Rocket. He's really old and probably won't last another season.

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
Why would we go after Rocket. He's really old and probably won't last another season.

Why ? Cuz DeLuca says so .So let it be written so let it be done .But seriously I agree about Roger ,we dont need an expensive pitcher with bad hams .It does get a chili in the spring and fall around here ,never good for hamstrings .

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
Why ? Cuz DeLuca says so .So let it be written so let it be done .But seriously I agree about Roger ,we dont need an expensive pitcher with bad hams .It does get a chili in the spring and fall around here ,never good for hamstrings .

Lets be glad DeLuca isnt the GM.

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)

Lets be glad DeLuca isnt the GM.

De Luca would not just make up this. This from his sources, so if you say this, you really mean you wish KW wasn't GM.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
De Luca would not just make up this. This from his sources, so if you say this, you really mean you wish KW wasn't GM.

NO your trying to put words in my mouth .All I said was he didnt say anything that we didnt already know .Everyone knows Texas needs pitching just like most other teams .Im not saying what he said was bulls*** ,what I am saying is that it doesnt take much to put 2 and 2 together .We have pitching and they need it .

Now as far as KW hes one of if not the best GM in all of sports .Nowhere in what I wrote did I say or imply otherwise .All I was doing was poking fun at DeLuca .

If Im going to believe any reporters in Chicago sports it will be Bruce Levine.

The Sox could go after the Rocket all they want, but unless they pay him about $20 million for a full season, allow him to stay in Texas with his family when he isn't pitching, and kissing his ass any number of other ways, he won't be signing with them. Let him go to Boston or the Yankees and get lit up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
The Sox could go after the Rocket all they want, but unless they pay him about $20 million for a full season, allow him to stay in Texas with his family when he isn't pitching, and kissing his ass any number of other ways, he won't be signing with them. Let him go to Boston or the Yankees and get lit up.

Yup .Considering the Sox need a reliever and a new lead-off guy I think those are bigger priorities .Not to mention where is the room on the payroll to fit Rogers salary ? This is why I dont see that happening .