Wii

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I see I'm not the only one who's going to go the route of buying the Wii in addition to the 360 or PS3 (most likely the former).

My only reason to get the PS3 would be for getting SOCOM, my favorite non-computer online game. Since 360 will release GTA at the same time that PS3 does, however, I think I'll probably go that route.

I had a chance to pick up a Wii at Toys R Us around 11:30 AM on Friday morning. They had a bunch of display boxes but the actual systems were in a locked case behind the counter. There were a good 6 left. I passed.

I just looked on Ebay, people are STILL paying $400+ for this thing... LOL

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
the 360 if you buy the internet adapter with is like only maybe 120 dollars cheaper than the ps3.. maybe a little more. And than since ps3 has free internet and 360 doesnt thats another 60 dollars a year. And than the fact that the ps3 is just a better system unless your a halo fan...

Seeing as how I've never really ever had the urge to play online, a PS3 makes little sense for me

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
I think it broke and there is a recall.

lolz, pwn3d :drink

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
So, you can play Gamecube games on the Wii? Am I understanding that correctly? Also, you can download games from old Nintendo onto the Wii? What about N64 games?

(Sorry for all the questions)

Yes to every question but the N64 one. That one I'm not sure about.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 01:57 AM)
yes you can download n64 games but right now the wii doesnt have many games available to download.

Sweet. I hope they get most-to-all of the N64 games on there eventually. I think that was the best 'friends' system. So many great games... Mario Kart, the whole wrestling series, Mario Party.

FYI for those interested I bought a Wii last week and am absolutely loving it. Since I have had mine my mom and my grandma have each bought one off ebay. It's almost as fun watching people getting into the games as it is playing them. My girlfriend's mother nearly died playing tennis. Honestly, beyond people complaining about sore muscles everyone seems to really enjoy it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 06:09 AM)
And Perfect Dark, the sequel to Goldeneye.

Eh Goldeneye in my opinion was much better than Perfect Dark... but yeah the n64 was really an awesome system with great games. I cant wait till March when the new Mario Party for Wii comes out.... imagine all those mini games with the Wii controller.

Two interesting articles on the Wii:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/ongoingfeature...4785&page=0

Did Wii break your TV?

People aren't getting a grip on Nintendo's new system.

By Mike Smith

29 Nov 2006

Picture this. You're lining up the perfect shot in Wii Bowling, remote in hand. You set up the shot, swing the remote with all the strength you can muster, and... follow through a little more than you intended.

Somehow the remote leaves your sweaty-palmed grip and bang, smash, there goes your TV, window, photo of your granny, anything that happens to be in the path of the newly liberated remote.

Hold on, though. If you're wearing the (supplied) wrist strap, no harm done, right? So you'd think. As you can see, some Wii owners are finding the strap decidedly lacking. (Check out nascent site wiihaveaproblem.com for more strap malfunctions.) The problem isn't with the amply broad strap itself, but the considerably narrower section that connects the strap with the remote, which is prone to fray in some circumstances. The result is smashed remotes, smashed televisions, smashed windows, and unhappy (or, at least, somewhat red-faced) customers.

Teething hardware troubles are hardly new to the world of console launches, especially in the last year or so. The Xbox 360's original overheating issues are well documented, with the first production run of consoles suffering what is generally regarded to be an unusually high failure rate. We're even hearing the start of mutterings about overheating issues with some brand new PS3s. But it's probably the first time a console's design has lead --albeit indirectly -- to quite such a catalogue of destruction. To its credit, Nintendo appears to be happy to replace the wrist strap in some circumstances, but if there really is an underlying design weakness, then it needs to be addressed before an unfortunate (or worse, sue-happy) bystander gets beaned by a stray remote.

Sure, it's easy to laugh at the misfortune of these hapless Wii'ers, especially if you're still combing stores for miles around looking for yours. One broken strap could be regarded as misfortune, but as the volume of fractured straps grows, it starts to look more like carelessness -- or, at least, evidence of a lack of real-world testing.

In the meantime, wise Wii owners will want to consider hunting round the house for something a little stronger -- or waiting for one of the more opportunistic peripheral manufacturers to cash in on the opportunity to flog reinforced replacements at an inflated price. That's business.

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/

Look What Zelda's New Attack Does...

11-30-06

Is Zelda pissing you off? Can't figure out how to work the fishing pole? Haven't even made it that far yet? Well, whatever you do - DO NOT- throw the controller out of anger. You never know when you put your laptop at your feet and accidentally chuck the controller into the screen. That's exactly what this user did. The best part is that the strap still managed to break, what are the odds of that? Also; how awesome is it that the website is Best Buy? I bet he was ready to buy an HDTV before he realized the dangers that lurk ahead!

Girl Gamers Are So Hot...

11-30-06

...Until they throw a Wii Remote right into your friend's parent's TV while they are out of town. See kids, Alcohol is bad mmkay? Here's what the submitter had to say about this:

We were playing Wii and drinking at a friend's house whose parents

were out of town. My friend wanted to play. She is a s***ty drunk.

Only after one drink. Swung the controller in home run derby... lost

grip. Strap broke. TV cracked. Remote still works.... I'm impressed.

It may "still work" but If I was your friends parents, I'd be pissed off. As for you my friend, I hope her destroying the TV was enough to "close the deal".

Official Wii Safety Guide

11-30-06

So I was browsing the Nintendo Official Safety Guide and noticed it may be missing a few key details that users could find helpful. I was going to write some totally awesome post bashing the safety warnings. The post would even draw attention to how their remote illustration images aren't even the same image height... but then... I realized something. Corporations shouldn't have to inform you that swinging an object in the general direction of a TV has risks. Sure they have commercials where people swing the remote like mad - they are called ACTORS - and they're paid to do silly things that make us go buy innovation. Don't get me wrong, I think it sucks your TV is busted, I just think it's funny is all, and apparently so does everyone else.

If you want to read the Wii Saftey guide and you haven't figured out you could click on the image above OR the link at thes tart of the article. Then here is a short bus version just for you.

Girl Power!

11-30-06

Atte ALGEYA, cartoonist to PiLLI Adventure, focused on the greatest threat to men in the living room.... The female backswing - Having personally sustained a blow and lived to tell about it. You should be cautious, there is a reason no one watches the Pro Women Leagues, they're not exactly aware of their surroundings at all times.

I played this game for the first time last weekend. I had a blast. I was playing with some kind of Japanese sword and chopping people in half and cutting their heads off. AWESOME!!!! You definitely have to stay far away from me though, I get a little crazy and swing every two seconds. Hahahaha :)

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)
Golden Eye and Mario Kart are still popular here in the dorms. As well as Super Smash Bros and Wayne Gretzky hockey. Classic system.

You cant go wrong with Kart, such a classic game. Another good game along those lines is a game made for dreamcast (i know, i know) that I used to play in college called powerstone 2, it was honestly one of the most entertaining games ever (especially with some herbal assistance)

Unfortunatly Pefect Dark can't be on there due to legality issues. Their still trying to get GoldenEye though. So far I've downloaded only Bomberman '93 which was for some console I've never heard of.

As for the breaking TVs by throwing the remotes, yeah I've a ton on that, even seen the pictures to back it up. My wrist strap already broke, but luckily I did not lose control of the controller. Their only connected by really thin string for whatever reason. I'm sure Nintendo will be fixing this soon.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
I was always Tim Henman.

Anyone ever play a game called Wetrix on the Dreamcast? I think it was a 10 dollar cheap-o I bought at a Wal-mart when I was bored one night. Ended up being of the greatest games for the short-lived console. Essentially it was tetris style where you build up walls to keep as much water (from rain) in as you could. I wish I still had it. It was a great game.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
Anyone ever play a game called Wetrix on the Dreamcast? I think it was a 10 dollar cheap-o I bought at a Wal-mart when I was bored one night. Ended up being of the greatest games for the short-lived console. Essentially it was tetris style where you build up walls to keep as much water (from rain) in as you could. I wish I still had it. It was a great game.

I played a game just like that for N64. It may have been the N64 version of it, I cant remember though. It was real basic, with a 3D view of a green piece of land, and you had to build walls to keep up with how fast the rain was coming.