Scotty Po

aboz56

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:44 AM)
Speed. Ozzie wants speed. Pods can hit 280 batting 9th with 40 stolen bases easily if healthy. Crisp, Crawford, Figgins or Patterson is what I mean by fixing center with someone who can lead off. If Pods can not perform well enough to lead off, move him to 9th.

Well, Pods pretty much proved last year that he's not fast anymore, didn't he?

Also, the only way CF is getting upgraded is through a huge upgrade. None of those are a huge upgrade, especialy seeing as how Crisp and Crawford would be playing out of position (though I do believe Crawford could probably play an adequate CF).

Pods is just an absolutely horrid choice for the LFer next year. I really can't think of a worse option...honestly.

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 05:07 AM)
Seriously, All this affection going around for Podsednik and Figgis is making me want to :drink heavily. Chone is a lateral move, and not much of a move at all, esp if its going to cost anything in terms of talent, did everyone suddenly forget that Scioscia was batting him 9th near the end of the season???? :bang Add to the fact Chone is only 2 years younger than scott and i say no thank you.

The only person i would want coming back our way from the Angels to lead off it Reggie Willits, lead milb in OBP and is a excellent bunter and exceptional out in CF and all around badass lead off man, and hes a switch hitter, sign me up.

I'd rather deal Podsednik to the rockies for Patton and Morillo or the Padres since Roberts appears to be on the verge of signing with the Giants.

If we can't get Willits. I'd rather have KW sign Lofton to a 1-2yr deal as a stop gap and eventually a 4th OFer(2008) or Guillen to an incentive laden deal. Next years crop of FA is going to be much much better, and Ichiro is tired of playing on a non contender.

In closing Chone Figgins is a 1337 SuX0r

I disagree with quite a bit of this.

For starters, I don't see Figgins instead of Podsednik as a lateral move at all. Figgins is much better defensively, he's a better fundamental baseball player, and he can actually steal at a productive rate. Add to that his versatility, and he'd be a great addition IMO to this team next year, so long as it doesn't cost f'in Crede (which would be completely ridiculous if Stoneman asked for that after the years both had)

I've already talked about Willits before, and I'm just not comfortable going into the year with a rookie leading off. However, at this point, it may be the only option.

Also, I'm almost positive Lofton has no shot of signing here. He wasn't well thought of in the clubhouse while he was here.

What people also need to realize is that the Winter Meetings haven't even come yet. There's still a ton of time for moves and upgrades to happen. Hell, KW struck with the Hermanson and Dye signings in early December before the 2005 season and I thought it was early. There's plenty of time...just be patient.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
The problem is not in finding a superior left fielder. It's in finding a superior leadoff hitter.

I think there are really two seperate issues that people are conflating:

1) Sox need a better LF

2) Sox need a capable leadoff hitter.

On issue #1, Sweeney or Fields could probably give replacement level offense and defense in LF next season just as in house options. Now personally I don't think that's a great move when you've got a 90-95 win team on paper and an upgrade in LF might put you over the top, but if it comes down to it I won't be that upset for giving young and cheap players a chance.

On #2, it's certainly harder to find a good leadoff hitter then a good LF and seemingly every other position player on the Sox isn't fit for leadoff. My solution? Plug Iguchi into leadoff and take care of finding a new LF.

Iguchi gave a 281/352/422 line last year and while not a huge threat on the bases he runs well enough to stretch singles into doubles and he goes from 1st to 3rd well enough. Iguchi will be 32 next year and in his 3rd year of MLB. IMO it will be his "career" year. I'm thinking a 290/370/450 line isn't out of the question.

Basically KW needs to tell Ozzie whatsup and if he doesn't like it he can find another job. Bat Iguchi leadoff and find a good LF -- get creative: find a platoon partner for one of the youngters perhaps.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
There is literally no debate - I want any other player - major or minor league - who is capable of playing left field next year and taking pitches. Podsednik is worse than any other major leaguers and a good deal of minor leaguers playing his position, taking pitches

Podsednik was 27th in MLB in pitches seen per plate appearance. Only Thome and Dye had higher P/PA.

As you could have guessed, A.J. saw the fewest pitches/PA on the team, followed by Uribe.

There is so much silly, irrational, emotion-based talk about Podsednik being a major problem, a major reason for the Sox failure to make the playoffs, a terrible player, and now even not fast (while he was one of 10 players to steal 40 bases, and didn't even play every day).

Whatever detriment Pods was with his subpar year, it is certain that he did not cost the Sox as many runs as Mark Buehrle, who gave up 31 more earned runs in '06 than in '05 in 32 less innings. or Jon Garland who gave up 20 more runs this year in 10 less innings. or Fred Garcia who gave up 21 more runs this year in 12 less innings. or the entire pitching staff who gave up 151 more earned runs in 06 than in 05.

So Pods, if he's with the Sox next year will have little effect on whether or not they make the playoffs compared to the effect of the starting pitchers rebounding from last year's failure. There is no desperate need to improve the 3rd best offense in baseball. We won the World Series with the 14th best offense in baseball. With Pods upside; being one of the few elite speed guys in baseball (who stole 44 bases in the 1st half of '05), who lead the team on batting in '05 (yes better than Dye, better than Konerko, better than Iguchi) and cheap salary compared to comparable players (Pierre $9 million dollars a year) is certainly a good option and a bargain in left field. I still think Ken Lofton would be a better choice and probably relatively cheap.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
Podsednik was 27th in MLB in pitches seen per plate appearance. Only Thome and Dye had higher P/PA.

As you could have guessed, A.J. saw the fewest pitches/PA on the team, followed by Uribe.

Think this has anything to do with the fact that he struck out looking around 80 times last year? Sure he was taking pitches but a large portion of the time he was watching 3 pitches over the heart of the plate. I don't think anyone is really blaming him for the s***ty season last year or even considering him a top 5 reason for why they underachieve. I think it's just people getting sick of watching a bad baseball player day in and day out.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
I think the "plug Iguchi into the leadoff spot" people aren't listening to what the sox have said for a while now.

For me, it's not necessarily what I think will happen, it's what I want to happen if someone else isn't brought in (there are still options -- Kenny Lofton being one, although someone said that there were some problems between he and KW).

Tad's a 5-7 hole hitter who happens to be the best option the sox have for a #2 hitter.

And I don't like that you or the Sox organization are "pigeon-holing" Iguchi as a #2, #5, or whatever hitter. He's a versataille player. He could hit pretty much in any spot in the lineup if you asked him to. Personally, I don't think a guy with a career .430 slugging percentage would be a great #5 hitter. We have those spots covered, anyways; Dye, followed by Crede and AJ.

What we don't have is a guy who has shown he can get on consistently at the top of the order. We have that guy already on the team. If Iguchi is going to have a career year, it's going to be this year; contract year, and his third year in the majors, but right around the age where 2nd-basemen generally start to fall off. If given free reign over most of his ABs (ie not asked to hit behind anyone or bunt 10-15 times per year), I think he'd be fully capable of a .290/.360/.450 season.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
There is so much silly, irrational, emotion-based talk about Podsednik being a major problem, a major reason for the Sox failure to make the playoffs, a terrible player, and now even not fast (while he was one of 10 players to steal 40 bases, and didn't even play every day).

Perhaps not fast was the wrong terminology, but he hasn't been able to steal at a productive rate since his injury in 2005. What good is speed if it doesn't result in stolen bases, or rather, PRODUCTIVE stolen bases? The occasional infield single? the 3 runs he'll score from first all year on gappers that no one else does? Big f'in deal. He's getting on base at a jacks*** rate, so it hurts the team to have him on the club.

Jermaine Dye could steal 40 bases too, but he'd steal them at about a 50% clip, so it wouldn't be productive enough to make a difference.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
And I don't like that you or the Sox organization are "pigeon-holing" Iguchi as a #2, #5, or whatever hitter. He's a versataille player. He could hit pretty much in any spot in the lineup if you asked him to. Personally, I don't think a guy with a career .430 slugging percentage would be a great #5 hitter. We have those spots covered, anyways; Dye, followed by Crede and AJ.

What we don't have is a guy who has shown he can get on consistently at the top of the order. We have that guy already on the team. If Iguchi is going to have a career year, it's going to be this year; contract year, and his third year in the majors, but right around the age where 2nd-basemen generally start to fall off. If given free reign over most of his ABs (ie not asked to hit behind anyone or bunt 10-15 times per year), I think he'd be fully capable of a .290/.360/.450 season.

Dude, the sox aren't going to have Iguchi leadoff. There have been plenty of opportunities to have him there. The sox aren't doing it

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 02:49 AM)
Dude, the sox aren't going to have Iguchi leadoff.

I'll post this one more time hoping that you actually read it:

For me, it's not necessarily what I think will happen, it's what I want to happen if someone else isn't brought in (there are still options -- Kenny Lofton being one, although someone said that there were some problems between he and KW).

There have been plenty of opportunities to have him there. The sox aren't doing it

Yes. Plenty of opportunities... because he's been here for a whole, what is it, two years? And it's not like we already had a "leadoff hitter" here in Podsednik or anything, right?

Then again, maybe a better option would be to go after Christian Guzman, ehh? Maybe he's a good option cause he could probably steal some bases, right beck?

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)

OK, on a list of things "important to winning baseball games" I'd rank that about #123 -- especially since all those pitches aren't leading to many walks.

Really? I'd say most of it is fact based objective analysis that sees a career Ops+ of below 90 and a terrible defender by any standard.

Whatever detriment Pods was with his subpar year, it is certain that he did not cost the Sox as many runs as Mark Buehrle, who gave up 31 more earned runs in '06 than in '05 in 32 less innings. or Jon Garland who gave up 20 more runs this year in 10 less innings. or Fred Garcia who gave up 21 more runs this year in 12 less innings. or the entire pitching staff who gave up 151 more earned runs in 06 than in 05.

So Pods, if he's with the Sox next year will have little effect on whether or not they make the playoffs compared to the effect of the starting pitchers rebounding from last year's failure. There is no desperate need to improve the 3rd best offense in baseball. We won the World Series with the 14th best offense in baseball. With Pods upside; being one of the few elite speed guys in baseball (who stole 44 bases in the 1st half of '05), who lead the team on batting in '05 (yes better than Dye, better than Konerko, better than Iguchi) and cheap salary compared to comparable players (Pierre $9 million dollars a year) is certainly a good option and a bargain in left field. I still think Ken Lofton would be a better choice and probably relatively cheap.

Last time I checked Pod's s*** defense helped quite a few runs score for the other team last year. Yes, there is desperation to improve every aspect of the team. If the offense gets better it puts less pressure on the entire pitching staff -- and vice versa. There is no simply saying, "well, Pods is good enough". No, there is no "good enough".

The one position on the Sox that is manned by a replacement level player is LF. And no, he's not an "elite speed guy". Elite speed guys don't get picked off so much and have such a piss poor successful steal %. He's medicore at speed and terrible at baseball.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
I bet Pods is better than he was last year if he starts back here, just going off of a hunch. They very well may use him as a stopgap solution for at least half a year until Sweeney/Fields are ready.

good point. He probably will be better. I still think if someone shines in spring training and forces a decision by ozzie, pods could find his ass on the bench.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 03:02 AM)
I'll post this one more time hoping that you actually read it:

Yes. Plenty of opportunities... because he's been here for a whole, what is it, two years? And it's not like we already had a "leadoff hitter" here in Podsednik or anything, right?

Then again, maybe a better option would be to go after Christian Guzman, ehh? Maybe he's a good option cause he could probably steal some bases, right beck?

Keith, right. It's not what you and I want. It's what the sox want. They could have had Iguchi lead off many times when Pods sat vs LHP. The sox never did and have never talked about it.

Re: Guzman. It's always nice to bring up irrelevant past suggestions that have nothing to do with the current debate. However it does show how you handle a little criticism. And the larger point was made about replacing Uribe, that the sox needed better OBP and speed from SS. That's why the sox and their staff get paid the big bucks and we sit back and play GM.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
No, it's the other way around. Leadoff hitter isn't a position. We have one on the roster right now. He's our 2nd-baseman. Whether or not our manager is too thick headed to put him there is another thing.

LOLerz. Yeah, Pods was sooooo great in 2005, leading our offense to what, 9th in the AL in runs scored? I can't think of any other position play on the 2006 White Sox who was as useless as Pods was last season. Outside of one month, the guy couldn't hit. His defense wasn't great, and he got picked off and thrown out way too much.

And as DA said, what's to say he won't be hurt next year? He got hurt in '05, and came into '06 recovering from surgery. Yeah, speed never slumps... it just gets hurt and costs your team runs through stubborn-ness.

That's the epitome of intelligent baseball analysis. C'mon, you're better than that. While leadoff hitter is not a defensive postion, it is a position in the lineup. There are two sides to the game, offensive and defensive. You position your players in the field ... 1 thru 9 ... to prevent runs as best possible. You also position your players in the lineup ... 1 thru 9 ... to score runs as ofter as possible. As for Iguchi batting leadoff, he's never done so that I'm aware of, yet you think Ozzie is thickheaded because he doesn't play your hunch that Iguchi would be a good leadoff hitter. My hunch is that he'd be batting out of position. What Pods did in '05 with his very solid 1st half was spark this team to what proved to an insurmountable lead that allowed the to reach the playoffs, which in turn allowed them to bring home the trophy.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
I think the "plug Iguchi into the leadoff spot" people aren't listening to what the sox have said for a while now. Tad's a 5-7 hole hitter who happens to be the best option the sox have for a #2 hitter. Never has it been talked about him batting leadoff.

You're overvaluing the lineup order so terribly.

I agree that the big boppers go into the meat of your batting order, but I don't believe you need a good "2-hole hitter" or that "this guy would fit in the 6 spot well." Lineup order is one of the most overrated aspects of baseball.

However I do know this. Leadoff hitter see the most PA's in your lineup and Pods doesn't deserve seeing the most PA's, he's just that bad.

Iguchi however is a nice little blend of speed, and power. Not meat of the order worthy, but certianly a guy who deserves to go in the batters box the most times in our lineup.

It's not absurd suggesting him as our leadoff guy, if anything its a very good idea.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)

I agree that the big boppers go into the meat of your batting order, but I don't believe you need a good "2-hole hitter" or that "this guy would fit in the 6 spot well." Lineup order is one of the most overrated aspects of baseball.

However I do know this. Leadoff hitter see the most PA's in your lineup and Pods doesn't deserve seeing the most PA's, he's just that bad.

Iguchi however is a nice little blend of speed, and power. Not meat of the order worthy, but certianly a guy who deserves to go in the batters box the most times in our lineup.

It's not absurd suggesting him as our leadoff guy, if anything its a very good idea.

I feel like Iguchi would be an exceptional leadoff hitter, mainly because of how well he adjusted to hitting second. remember, he was a middle of the order, 30-homerun guy in Japan, then he came over here and was the perfect #2 hitter. he did everything that could be asked hitting in that spot with Pods in front of him. I don't see why he couldn't switch to first in the order and do everything we need of a leadoff hitter, regardless if he's unhappy there like he was hitting second. he'd still get the job done.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)

By your logic, a team's best hitter should then hit leadoff because he'll have the most PA's, regardless of power numbers, speed, OBP? A team needs a mix of hitters [esp. the sox] or they'll be too much like the 2000-2004 sox, a station to station softball team that's susceptible to slumps and overly reliant on the long ball for scoring runs.

Lineup order is very important. If you don't have guys on base or in scoring position for your RBI's guys, a team will have trouble scoring runs. Most winning teams place a heavy emphasis on lineup order to maximize their chances of scoring runs. To say it's overrated [in the pros at least, maybe not little league] is kinda silly.

I never said Iguchi hitting leadoff was absurd. But Ozzie and KW have never talked about Iguchi hitting leadoff--only hitting lower in the order like he did in Japan. Only armchair coaches and GM's have talked about Iguchi leading off. The Sox have had chances to put Iguchi in the leadoff spot but haven't done it.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
What Pods did in '05 with his very solid 1st half was spark this team to what proved to an insurmountable lead that allowed the to reach the playoffs, which in turn allowed them to bring home the trophy.

And tell me, YASNY, what exactly Podsednik sparked? Oh, right, a 9th place (in the AL) offense. I would never, ever want a future Sox to copy ANYTHING from that 2005 offense (except the power. power = goodzzzz).

My hunch is that he'd be batting out of position.

Because...? 'Cause Ozzie said/thinks so?

Keith, right. It's not what you and I want. It's what the sox want. They could have had Iguchi lead off many times when Pods sat vs LHP. The sox never did and have never talked about it.

Because Ozuna has always been there to do a nice job against left-handed pitchers.

Look -- I'm not saying that KW and co. should go about the rest of the offseason with the thinking that, "hey, we already have our leadoff hitter". What I'm saying is that the Sox shouldn't "force" a leadoff hitter on the team just for the hell of it. If it ends up that way, that you come up with a real "leadoff hitter" (one of the slap hitting joys like the one we've had the past two years), then so beit.

I'm saying that, if the Sox end up with say, Jose Guillen out in LF, ie a guy who isn't an ideal top-of-the-order hitter, they shouldn't back themselves into a corner and say, "Oh, s***, now we gotta get Furcal or Vizquel or Rollins or else we won't have a real leadoff man!" That's not a smart way to go about things.

And before anyone brings up the name, no, Jerry Owens is not a good option. Dude's going to be a 4th OFer... He has absolutely no power, and his OBP is too batting average reliant.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 06:09 AM)
That's the epitome of intelligent baseball analysis. C'mon, you're better than that. While leadoff hitter is not a defensive postion, it is a position in the lineup. There are two sides to the game, offensive and defensive. You position your players in the field ... 1 thru 9 ... to prevent runs as best possible. You also position your players in the lineup ... 1 thru 9 ... to score runs as ofter as possible. As for Iguchi batting leadoff, he's never done so that I'm aware of, yet you think Ozzie is thickheaded because he doesn't play your hunch that Iguchi would be a good leadoff hitter. My hunch is that he'd be batting out of position. What Pods did in '05 with his very solid 1st half was spark this team to what proved to an insurmountable lead that allowed the to reach the playoffs, which in turn allowed them to bring home the trophy.

That's a nice theory but the reality is your leadoff hitter is only guaranteed to leadoff once a game. Pods got way too much credit for his contribution to the 2005 White Sox. He scored a very pedestrian 85 runs. He actually was a better offensive player in 2006 save for the batting average and a few more ks. He drove in more, he scored more, he slugged better, and everyone agrees he wasn't very good in 2006.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
By your logic, a team's best hitter should then hit leadoff because he'll have the most PA's, regardless of power numbers, speed, OBP? A team needs a mix of hitters [esp. the sox] or they'll be too much like the 2000-2004 sox, a station to station softball team that's susceptible to slumps and overly reliant on the long ball for scoring runs.

Lineup order is very important. If you don't have guys on base or in scoring position for your RBI's guys, a team will have trouble scoring runs. Most winning teams place a heavy emphasis on lineup order to maximize their chances of scoring runs. To say it's overrated [in the pros at least, maybe not little league] is kinda silly.

I never said Iguchi hitting leadoff was absurd. But Ozzie and KW have never talked about Iguchi hitting leadoff--only hitting lower in the order like he did in Japan. Only armchair coaches and GM's have talked about Iguchi leading off. The Sox have had chances to put Iguchi in the leadoff spot but haven't done it.

1st) He's saying lineup order is overated because over the course of a season the optimum lineup will yield 20 or so more runs than the least optimum lineup. There was a lot of work done on this least season by Beyond the Boxscore and Baseball Musings.

Of course you want the best hitters to see the most PA, which is why they usually bat earlier. However, changes in lineup matter little to RS at the end of the year. Maybe it's worth a win or two.

2) I don't think us "armchair gm's" really care if our ideas our plausible to the guys running the show -- that's the fun of being an "armchair gm".

If I was GM I'd order Ozzie to bad Iguchi leadoff, it's that simple.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Just 1 thing on Iguchi, the Sox tried to move him down the order in ST last season and he struggled. If they tried to move him into the leadoff spot, and he struggled majorly again, what do you do then?

Iguchi was experimenting with his swing in spring training. I'm not sure if it was because of the change in the lineup, but I think he said he was just trying out some things, they didn't work, and so he went back to swinging like he always did right as the season started. I don't know that he'd start to falter if put into the leadoff spot just because it be a change in the order.