Phil Rogers Article

DBAHO

Here it is;

When the Detroit Tigers added Gary Sheffield, giving the defending American League pennant winners a 3-4-5 lineup of Ivan Rodriguez, Sheffield and Magglio Ordonez, White Sox general manager Ken Williams shrugged off this seeming improvement.

"Jermaine Dye, Jim Thome, Paul Konerko," Williams said, reciting the names of his 3-4-5 hitters, who were the league's best last season. "It's whoever pitches, wins."

In the big sense he's right. But that doesn't mean Williams should ignore another obvious place to improve his team.

Can the White Sox really stick to the status quo in left field and center field? As much as anything, including the increase in staff earned-run average to 4.61 from 3.61 in 2005, lack of production from center and left fields left the Sox five games out of the playoffs.

In center field, where rookie Brian Anderson buried himself hitting .152 through June 10, the Sox finished the season with a .240 average, 12 homers, 47 runs batted in and 67 runs scored. Their .672 OPS (on base plus slugging) ranked ahead of only Seattle, and they were last in the league in average and runs and 13th in RBIs.

In left field, where Scott Podsednik had a better year as a hitter than he did during the World Series season (but not as good as a runner or a fielder), the White Sox finished with a .280 average, four homers and 57 RBIs. Their .720 OPS was 12th (ahead of Cleveland and Baltimore) and they were last in home runs and RBIs.

Williams added an outfield option in Luis Terrero, a right-handed batter who has hit .235 in 182 games for Arizona and Baltimore, in a minor signing. But otherwise any 2007 improvement currently would have to come from Rob Mackowiak, Anderson, Podsednik and a cast of prospects that includes Ryan Sweeney, Jerry Owens and Josh Fields (a third baseman who could switch to left).

Maybe there's a Marcus Thames in the group of younger players, if not a Craig Monroe, but Williams should know what he has in Podsednik. It will be a mistake if he doesn't make a move to upgrade, either through a trade or second-tier free-agent signing. That would leave one spot open-left or center-for Sweeney, Anderson and Owens.

Manny Ramirez? He's available, and could give the White Sox one of the best 3-4-5-6 combinations in history. But, of course, he brings a ton of baggage, not to mention being owed $38 million over the next two years and having full veto rights on any deal. He might only waive those if the team getting him picked up his $20 million options for 2009 and '10.

Pat Burrell, owed $27 million over two years by Philadelphia, isn't as dynamic a run producer as Ramirez but could give the White Sox five hitters (including Joe Crede) capable of 30 homers and 100 RBIs. Both Ramirez and Burrell-especially replacing Podsednik and force-fitting Tadahito Iguchi into the leadoff spot-would exacerbate the slow-pitch softball nature of the Sox lineup, which sometimes drove manager Ozzie Guillen nuts last season.

Which brings us to Atlanta's Andruw Jones, who could be pried loose, albeit likely as an expensive one-year rental before commanding megabucks, and Tampa Bay's Rocco Baldelli, who returned strong after missing 2005 with Tommy John surgery and a torn ligament in his knee. Along with the oft-rumored Chone Figgins (more expendable in Anaheim after the signing of Gary Matthews Jr.), Jones and Baldelli are well-rounded outfielders who make sense.

The Brewers would love to deal Geoff Jenkins and the Cubs are trying to build a market for Jacque Jones. Either would be a better option in left than going to arbitration to keep Podsednik. Cliff Floyd, on a one-year contract, probably is worth a look. Among the other free agents who could fit are Kenny Lofton, David Dellucci, Preston Wilson, Darin Erstad (if he's healthy) and Ray Durham (if he's willing to play the outfield).

Seeing double

Ned Colletti is cornering the market on leadoff hitters. One year after signing Rafael Furcal to a surprising three-year, $39 million contract, the Dodgers GM landed Juan Pierre for five years, $45 million.

They apparently will bat Pierre in the No. 2 spot, using his high-contact, low-impact approach in a traditional, Nellie Fox fashion. It's amazing that a guy the Cubs were ambivalent about re-signing could land a five-year contract, but Pierre has a good reputation within the game and led the National League with 204 hits.

"This man gets on base an awful lot," Colletti said. "He gets 200 hits or more, is a great guy on a club and, like Nomar [Garciaparra], has great qualities as a human being."

Pierre also led the league with 20 caught-stealings, the fifth time in six years he has been at the top of that category. The most troubling stat was just 32 walks in 740 plate appearances. Pitchers have realized there's no reason not to challenge him.

The Dodgers would have been better to re-sign Lofton and wait another year on 22-year-old Matt Kemp, who has shown he can become a dynamic force in center.

Whispers

J.D. Drew-to-the-Red Sox was supposed to be a done deal but still hasn't been announced. Maybe agent Scott Boras just wants to give the Cubs more time to up the ante. ... A lot of contracts are upside now, like the Astros paying newcomer Carlos Lee more than Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman and the Cubs paying Aramis Ramirez more than Derrek Lee. It will be interesting to see which guys start complaining next year. ... The departure of Gary Matthews Jr. means Texas will continue its revolving door approach in center field. They are pursuing Jay Payton, Dave Roberts and Lofton but won't offer more than two years because they want to leave room for a better crop of free agents next year. Vernon Wells, Jones, Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand are signed only through 2007. ...

San Francisco is hurting after making unsuccessful plays for Alfonso Soriano, Matthews Jr., Pierre and Lee. This is hard to believe, but Omar Vizquel and Randy Winn are the only veteran position players under contract in San Francisco. (Vizquel to the White Sox in a package built around Juan Uribe, Podsednik and prospects would be a nice get for Williams.) ... Great scene at a St. Paul supermarket last Tuesday when shoppers spotted Justin Morneau and started chanting "MVP, MVP, MVP." Despite controversy, Morneau was an excellent choice as the AL MVP. Ditto Ryan Howard in the NL. Frank Thomas, moving from Oakland to Toronto, finished fourth in the AL voting, only 19 points behind David Ortiz. If he had finished ahead of Ortiz, he would have joined Willie Mays, Joe DiMaggio and Yogi Berra as a six-time pick in the top three. Barry Bonds has nine top threes, followed by Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle and Henry Aaron with seven each. Can we stop asking if Thomas deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame please? ...

Shortstop Bobby Crosby says the A's misdiagnosed his latest back injury, as they have two previous injuries. As contracts spiral medical care becomes a bigger issue for clubs. ... Thumbs up to Clay Rapada, a tall left-hander who was undrafted after pitching at Virginia State but just landed a spot on the Cubs' 40-man roster. He had 21 saves in Double-A before a midseason promotion to Triple-A and capped his year off with a solid performance in the Arizona Fall League. ... Among the notable 40-man additions-shortstop Michael Garciaparra (Nomar's brother), Seattle; high-maintenance outfielder Elijah Dukes, Tampa Bay; former Cubs right-hander Jermaine Van Buren, Washington; and left-hander Alexander Smit, a native of the Netherlands, Minnesota.

The last word

"We certainly can't outspend them. But even though they're stocking up, I'm not afraid of them." -- Brewers manager Ned Yost on the Cubs.

We should be more concerned about upgrading LF than SS. Juan is a top-tier fielding SS and hits enough to start. He has to do better than last year and he bats 8th or 9th so its not that big a deal that he isn't a Michael Young type hitter. However, our leadoff hitter will likely be an outfielder and is as crucial a player as our 3-4-5 hitters. We need a guy to get on base at a high rate and steal bases more than we need an upgrade for our SS. Get rid of Pods first and then worry about SS. I would have no problem keeping Juan as our SS, but I would have a big problem not bringing in a new LF.

I wouldn't complain about replacing Uribe if the deal was right...and I can think of teams that would be thrilled about a solid defense, 20 home run+ right handed hitting short stop/utility guy...but the one thing I don't want to do this offseason is get older.

We have talent to deal. If we get older, then we're setting ourselves up for a total rebuilding at the end of 2007/2008 when guys like Vizquel actually retire and Dye, Crede, and a couple of starting pitchers have departed as free agents. If we want to be competitive every year...getting a guy like Vizquel is a band-aid for 2007, but not an improvement for 2008 and beyond.

How old is Vizquel...like 60? Geez....no thanks. Delluci really intrigues me....but he's really not a lot different than Mack. The whole Manny talk is ridiculous. Wasn't that why Carlo Lee was traded? I still would really like Eric Byrnes on this team to play left field. Not sure why AZ still hasn't reupped him.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 03:32 AM)
I'm not opposed to getting Vizquel, but not for those two, not to mention he suggested including Sweeney.

Outrageous!

I agree, I think Uribe + Rogo is more than fair, considering his age, and the fact that they now have very little pop in that line up and Niekro hasn't lived up to the hype.

Doesn't look like this one will happen, Dave Roberts is apparently about to sign with the Giants, thus making their quest for Sco-Po pointless.

And am I nuts or does Geoff Jenkins sound alright? Of course we'd still need to find a center fielder that can lead off, but Jenkins doesn't sound like the end of the world, if the Brewers don't want an arm and a leg.

Edited by bschmaranz

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
I'm not opposed to getting Vizquel, but not for those two, not to mention he suggested including Sweeney.

Outrageous!

I don't take much of what Phil says very seriously.The guy bleeds cub-blue and only really cares about the northside team.

It seems every one of his acticles about the White Sox are really mostly about the cubs.

Most of what Rogers is saying is garbage. But with the Giants looking at signing Rich Aurilia to start at either 2b, 3b or 1b, they could use a guy like Uribe. The giants won't be looking to contend in 07. But if the sox offered Uribe [who has a 08 option] and some pieces like Heath Philips, Casey Rogowski, etc, the Giants might bite.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
How old is Vizquel...like 60? Geez....no thanks. Delluci really intrigues me....but he's really not a lot different than Mack. The whole Manny talk is ridiculous. Wasn't that why Carlo Lee was traded? I still would really like Eric Byrnes on this team to play left field. Not sure why AZ still hasn't reupped him.

You and I are in the minority on Byrnes, I'd love to see him in a White Sox uni. If he's not a grinder, who is?

People around here will tell you he's defense sux.

QUOTE(earthshiner @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 07:03 AM)
for some reason Ray Durham in left and leading off seems like a decent idea.

I like the idea of Ray in LF and hitting 2nd (if we could find someone else to lead off). I think he'd be a solid LF. I always remember Ray being as good of a 2nd baseman as I ever saw when it came to going back on flyballs.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
I like the idea of Ray in LF and hitting 2nd (if we could find someone else to lead off). I think he'd be a solid LF. I always remember Ray being as good of a 2nd baseman as I ever saw when it came to going back on flyballs.

Why not lead off? The last five years he has not had on OBP lower than .356.

QUOTE(earthshiner @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
Why not lead off? The last five years he has not had on OBP lower than .356.

Because I want Ozzie to get his stolen base guy that fits in at the top of the order, if he doesn't, than he will push the envelope and run guys like Crede/AJPand Konerko and I want to make sure he doesn't get those ideas.

Get me Durham as a FA, trade for Figgins (give up Brian Anderson for him and I think the Angels bite on that or at least heavily consider it) and than you have a nice 1-2 with some speed and guys that can handle the bat. We have enough power at other positions to accept a drop off in CF/LF. Sadly though, we may have an increase in power considering how little Pods had and how useless BA was with the bat.

Than do what you go to do with the rotation/pen. Iguchi goes down in the lineup and now that horrendous hole in the back of the lineup is just Uribe (instead of Uribe and BA) so really our lineup is all around strong with a lot of speed at the top of the order.

You have Sweeney back up and play ocassionally all over the outfield as well as Mack.

Figgins

Durham

Dye

Thome

Konerko

Crede

AJP

Iguchi

Uribe

Thats not a bad looking lineup if you ask me and its one with a lot more speed than last years, just as good of defense, imo, and it shouldn't cost much money to do. Plus we have two switch hitters at the top of our lineup which is nice.

Our rotation is still fine, but Kenny can tweak and get prospects and do what he wants with that and maybe get yet another reliever.

QUOTE(Drew @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:04 AM)
No thanks. Vizquel is a fossil, and does little to solve our biggest problem of a leadoff-hitting, table-setting outfielder.

Except that Vizquel exactly solves that problem by being a leadoff-hitting, table-setting shortstop who hit .295 with a .361 OBP last year. As a 'fossil' he's stolen 24 bases in each of the past 2 years, while Uribe managed to steal 1 base last year. What's Juan's excuse?

Durham's great too, but he'll probably cost $10 million. and his fossilized legs only manage 6 or 7 steals a year now.

Kenny Lofton is another person the Sox should be looking at for LF. He hasn't told his fast-running legs that he's a fossil yet, and got 32 stolen bases out of them in 129 games last year, not to mention his.360 OBP.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
Durham is going to get a multi year deal in the range of $7.5M-$9.5M per. This for a 34 year old oft-injured secondbaseman whom you'd be asking to switch positions.

We have seen the results in the past with expecting someone to switch from their normal/natural position to another spot. I don't recall it being to pretty for the Sox