BA's take on McCarthy/Danks

Damen

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
To give Gavin Floyd the opportunity to work out his kinks and be the 5th starter and add a power arm to the bullpen in Massett. Danks may help in the future and possibly have a higher ceiling but even if he is just McCarthy, he is a lefty on a team that currently boasts only one lefty, who will likely walk after the season.

Floyd, for all his faults, keeps the ball down better than McCarthy and has some movement (sink) on his fastball. However, if you expected McCarthy to win 18 games and have a sub 3.20 ERA this year, then you will be disappointed in the results from our 5th starter this year. If you are realistic and expected 12-14 wins and a sub 4.80 ERA, then you might be satisfied.

I figured McCarthy to have around a 4.50-4.75 ERA and get 12-15 wins. You'd be out of your mind to suggest Floyd will get anywhere near that. Why should we lose a guy whom we are fairly certain will get solid fifth starter numbers just so Gavin Floyd can lose us games to "work out his kinks"?

QUOTE(Damen @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
I figured McCarthy to have around a 4.50-4.75 ERA and get 12-15 wins. You'd be out of your mind to suggest Floyd will get anywhere near that. Why should we lose a guy whom we are fairly certain will get solid fifth starter numbers just so Gavin Floyd can lose us games to "work out his kinks"?

so my point sunk in.

QUOTE(Damen @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)

I'll suggest you'd be out of your mind to think BMac is good for 15 wins in his 1st full year as a starter, but i will say his chances of doing it are better than Floyds. One has a snowballs chance in hell and the other one finding a needle in a haystack.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
I'll suggest you'd be out of your mind to think BMac is good for 15 wins in his 1st full year as a starter, but i will say his chances of doing it are better than Floyds. One has a snowballs chance in hell and the other one finding a needle in a haystack.

Considering the offenses that both of them could have behind them, I wouldn't rule out either of them having 15 wins. May not happen, but it's a lot higher than the needle in a haystack.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
Considering the offenses that both of them could have behind them, I wouldn't rule out either of them having 15 wins. May not happen, but it's a lot higher than the needle in a haystack.

Ok Balta u convinced me I was being a little bit stingy there. Lets upgrade it from a needle to a 16 penny nail in a haystack. Thats quite a bit larger but still damn hard to find. :P

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Ok Balta u convinced me I was being a little bit stingy there. Lets upgrade it from a needle to a 16 penny nail in a haystack. Thats quite a bit larger but still damn hard to find. :P

Personally, I think it's a lot higher than that too...but hey, that's why they play the games.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
Personally, I think it's a lot higher than that too...but hey, that's why they play the games.

I'd be willing to make a creative wager if you're a gambling man just to make it interesting. I'll give u 2-1 odds neither one (BMac or Floyd) wins 15 in 2007 and you give me 2-1 that they won't win 15 games combined. All we have to do is figure out the stakes.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 07:31 PM)

Well, that was assuming McCarthy was to play for the Sox. Considering Garcia got to 17 wins on a 4.52 era (that sunk half a run in his last 5 outings), its certainly not out of the question that McCarthy could do the same with that level of run support.

I doubt Floyd will do that with his ERA around 6, but maybe we'll get lucky and Haeger can take over the 5 spot.

QUOTE(Damen @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
Well, that was assuming McCarthy was to play for the Sox. Considering Garcia got to 17 wins on a 4.52 era (that sunk half a run in his last 5 outings), its certainly not out of the question that McCarthy could do the same with that level of run support.

I doubt Floyd will do that with his ERA around 6, but maybe we'll get lucky and Haeger can take over the 5 spot.

Floyd wouldn't be anywhere near our rotation if he's going to put up an ERA close to 6. Hopefully the Sox can turn him around like they have with numerous other pitchers, otherwise Haegar gets the job and Gavin starts the year in AAA.

I'd at least give Floyd a chance to show what he can do for us, before writing him off though. A lot of people were doing that with Thornton when we acquired him, calling him a guy with absolutely no control.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Floyd wouldn't be anywhere near our rotation if he's going to put up an ERA close to 6. Hopefully the Sox can turn him around like they have with numerous other pitchers, otherwise Haegar gets the job and Gavin starts the year in AAA.

I'd at least give Floyd a chance to show what he can do for us, before writing him off though. A lot of people were doing that with Thornton when we acquired him, calling him a guy with absolutely no control.

The Sox are doin anything but writing Floyd off for the 5th spot, its basically his to lose from the comments that coop has made, and KW seems to also be very high on him, i havent heard to much on what they think about Haeger, so for some reason i dont think he'll be on the roster come opening day, but i do see him making a huge contribution later in the season if one of the starters struggles or gets injured

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)

I believe the Sox could eventually be the organization that Floyd thrives in, but I can't see this miraculously happening by the start of the season. Like biggruss said, it seems from the interviews management has given that Floyd has been all but penciled into our starting rotation.

QUOTE(Damen @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
I believe the Sox could eventually be the organization that Floyd thrives in, but I can't see this miraculously happening by the start of the season. Like biggruss said, it seems from the interviews management has given that Floyd has been all but penciled into our starting rotation.

Hopefully they at least give Haeger a legit shot, is all I'll say about that.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
would arizona air have any neg. affect on a knuckle ball pitcher?(honestly)

Well, yes, but it could have an affect on almost any "touch" pitcher. Floyd's coming in there needing his curve ball and moving fastball to be on for him to have success, so it could bother both of them. It also could be a good thing for the knuckle-thrower to work a little in that sort of environment.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 05:22 AM)
Well, yes, but it could have an affect on almost any "touch" pitcher. Floyd's coming in there needing his curve ball and moving fastball to be on for him to have success, so it could bother both of them. It also could be a good thing for the knuckle-thrower to work a little in that sort of environment.

yeah, its what i thought. danke.

I dont understand why everyone thinks BMAC is so great because he is "proven." When he came up from the minors to pitch with the Sox he was only 21 years old. That season he put up a 4.03 ERA in 67 innings pitched. After all of that work in the majors we all said that he should automatically be put into the starting rotation in 2006, and we upset when KW traded for Vaz.

Danks is 21 years old and will be 22 in April. He has had very similar numbers to BMAC throughout the minors except he is considered to have a higher ceiling. Is it really that out of the question to think that Danks at age 22 could put up about the same if not better numbers than BMAC did in his first taste at 21 years old? Its not like this guy is 16 and BMAC was a 30 year old vet when we brought him up. They are similar guys, with similar stats and now Danks is being brought along at the same age we promoted BMAC.