Comparing the AL Central Starting Rotations

GreatScott82

Minnesota Twins- (AL Central Champions)

1. Johan Santana (Cy Young Award winner) 2006: 19-6, 2.77 ERA

2. Boof Bonser. 7-6, 4.22 ERA

3. Carlos Silva. 11-15, 5.94 ERA

4. Matt Garza. 3-6, 5.76 ERA

5. Glen Perkins. 0-0 1.59 ERA

They will always be tough with Johan Santana on their side. However, having Francisco Liriano out for the year hurts them badly. Brad Radke's retirement doesn't help them either. They are counting big time on the young arms of Garza and Perkins to step it up. Bonser is decent but nothing special and the White Sox have previously killed Silva over the last few years. There starting rotation will not be as solid in 2007 as it was in the past, but they can make up for it with their outstanding bullpen.

Detroit Tigers (American League Champions)

1. Kenny Rogers. 17-8, 3.84 ERA

2. Jeremy Bonderman. 14-8, 4.08 ERA

3. Nate Robertson. 13-13, 3.84 ERA

4. Mike Maroth. 5-2. 4.19 ERA

5. Justin Verlander. 17-9. 3.63 ERA

The 2006 Detroit Tigers's starting 5 did exactly what the 2005 Chicago White Sox' starting 5 did, and that was dominate and keep the team in every single game. They might be alittle tired from there extended season (See Chicago White Sox of 2006) which can increase their ERA's. However, they picked up more power with Shefield (like the White Sox did with Thome last year). They are hoping that can give their starter's some more breathing room. IMO the Tigers have the edge in the pitching department going into 2007.

Chicago White Sox

1. Jose Contreras. 13-9. 4.27 ERA

2. Mark Buerhle. 12-13. 4.99 ERA

3. Jon Garland. 18-7. 4.51 ERA

4. Javier Vazquez. 11-12. 4.84 ERA

5. Gavin Floyd. 4-3. 7.29 ERA

The White Sox starting rotation under-achieved in 2006, which was the main reason they missed out on returning to the postseason. They made some adjustments to their rotation this offseason by dealing veteran Freddy Garcia and Brandon McCarthy. From these deals they brought in many young arms who are all up and coming. There is a good chance that Gavin Floyd will win the 5th starting spot and they are hoping he has a decent year. They are relying on rebound seasons from Buerhle and Contreras. They are also hoping for Javy Vazquez to finally have that career year and let alone pitch out of that dreaded 6th inning. Jon Garland won back to back 18 game seasons and I only seeing him getting better. I can definitley see both Buerhle and Garland winning 20 games this season. I think the White Sox are a near 2nd to the Tigers going into 2007. And that is only because of that 5th starting spot. Who is to say that Gavin FLoyd doesn't have a Justin Verlander type year?!? Anything is possible at this point.

Cleveland Indians

1. C.C. Sabathia. 12-11. 3.22 ERA

2. Jake Westbrook. 15-10 4.17 ERA

3. Cliff Lee. 14-11. 4.40 ERA

4. Paul Byrd. 10-9. 4.88 ERA

5. Jeremy Sowers. 7-4. 3.57 ERA

The Indians have an excellent #1 in Sabathia and about 3 #4 starters in Westbrook, Lee, and Byrd. Like the Twins and White Sox, they are relying on a young inexperienced starter to cover the 5 hole. I think the Indians will be in the thick of things in the Central this year. I expect either Westbrook or Lee to have an outstanding season. I think like the White Sox case in 2006, they were just burnt out from that division collision in 2005 that they had with the White Sox. I expect them to be refreshed and ready to go.

Kansas City Royals

1. Gil Meche. 11-8 4.48 ERA

2. Odalis Perez 6-8 6.20 ERA

3. Luke Hudson 7-6 5.12 ERA

4. Jorge De La Rosa 5-6 6.49 ERA

5. Brian Bannister 2-1 4.26 ERA

Umm its the Royals. Can we say anymore? Gil Meche and Odalis Perez are very capable of having decent years, but the bottom 3 are HUGE question marks. Looks to be another looooooong season in KC. Good luck Ross Gload :) I expect them dead last.

My Final Edge

1. Tigers- Yea, they have a damn good rotation. If they somehow can find a way to stay healthy and not get burned out via the White Sox of 2006, i see them winning a lot of games once again for Detroit.

2. White Sox- I expect big seasons from Buerhle and Garland. I also expect a solid 15 wins from both Javy and Contreras and anything from that 5th starter spot will be a bonus. Hell even 10 wins would help from that slot. THey are well rested, healthy and ready to go.

3. Indians- Sabathia will be his same ol dominate self, and if Westbrook and Lee can have career years, i expect Cleveland to make a solid run at the post season. We all know Byrd is capable, he is the only pitcher to beat the Sox in the '05 postseason ;)

4. Twins- Johan will once again win the Cy Young... but he can't pitch EVERY game for them. You know it cant be good in Minny when Boof Bonser is your #2 guy. Yep, losing both Radke and Liriano will hurt them pretty badly.

5. Royals- Yeeeeek. Whats the point of even commenting about them.

Edited by GreatScott82

Jeremy Sowers was 7-4 with a 3.57 ERA and 1.19 WHIP in the MAJORS last season. In other words he was better than any Sox starter in his 14 starts last season.

Cleveland's #1 and #5 starters give the Indians a nice advantage over the Sox going into '07.

Tigers

Indians

Sox

Twins

Royals

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
Jeremy Sowers was 7-4 with a 3.57 ERA and 1.19 WHIP in the MAJORS last season. In other words he was better than any Sox starter in his 14 starts last season.

Cleveland's #1 and #5 starters give the Indians a nice advantage over the Sox going into '07.

Tigers

Indians

Sox

Twins

Royals

I still think the Indians have the best rotation in the AL Central, but whatever.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
I still think the Indians have the best rotation in the AL Central, but whatever.

I do agree but it's tough to look past what the Tigers rotation was able to achieve last season. I don't see them having that same sort of success in '07 but as of right now I have to make them the favorite. I see the Indians ending up with the best rotation and lineup in the Central but the 4th worst bullpen, the Sox with the 2nd best rotation and lineup and a part of the crapshoot along with Detroit and Minnesota at the top of the AL Central pen wise. The Tigers should still have a pretty good rotation this season but I just don't see Verlander staying healthy and Robertson, Maroth and Rogers repeating what they did last season. So going into '07 I'd say Tigers, Indians, Sox, Twins but by the end of '07 I think it will end up Indians, Sox, Tigers, Twins.

I think the Indians have the best rotation easily. But then again, Sabathia seems somewhat injury prone or maybe im just basing off last year but they need him healthy. I like Verlander/Bonderman in the Tigers rotation but I think Rogers is going to have a pretty dismal season and never been a big fan of Robertson. Although I like Maroth at the back end of the rotation.

1. Indians

2. Tigers

3. White Sox

4. Twins

5. Royals

We often talk about "window of opportunities" with professional teams, and I realistically believe 2007 may be the ending of ours.

Unless current starters remain consistent, and our minor league system produces an immediate contributer, I could realistically see us dropping to fourth. Liriano will be back for Minnesota. Detroit has Andrew Miller. Indians have Adam Miller. It's not going to get any easier.

The expectations I place upon whichever prospect replaces Buehrle next year will be ungodly. Can't wait. :cheers

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
I would say:

1. Tigers

2. Indians

3. Sox

4. Twins

5. Royals

The Tigers clearly have the best rotation from top to bottom, the Indians have a fairly solid 1-5, while the Sox only have a solid 1-4 that cannot make up for the question mark at #5.

^^

The Indians and Tigers would be neck and neck.

Our rotation has the potential to be able to get back into this tier but that's dependent upon Buehrle bouncing back and Floyd or whoever is the 5th starter at least being able to post an ERA under 5 as a minimum.

The Twins are really going to miss Liriano. Garza and Perkins may not even be in the rotation on opening day because they signed Ramon Ortiz (around $3M deal) and Sidney Ponson.

Woul be great for us if that was the case.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
[

Kansas City Royals

1. Gil Meche. 11-8 4.48 ERA

2. Odalis Perez 6-8 6.20 ERA

3. Luke Hudson 7-6 5.12 ERA

4. Jorge De La Rosa 5-6 6.49 ERA

5. Brian Bannister 2-1 4.26 ERA

Excellent analysis... however, one name you left out is Zach Greinke. If he can come back and build on what he did in '04, the Royals could be a lot better than people think. I realize it's a big IF, and I still expect KC to finish last, but if you factor in a healthy Greinke, their rotation suddenly looks decent. I kind of think the Royals will be much improved this season. It has to happen one of these years...

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 03:50 AM)
Excellent analysis... however, one name you left out is Zach Greinke. If he can come back and build on what he did in '04, the Royals could be a lot better than people think. I realize it's a big IF, and I still expect KC to finish last, but if you factor in a healthy Greinke, their rotation suddenly looks decent. I kind of think the Royals will be much improved this season. It has to happen one of these years...

Yeah I think Greinke can come back and can be a solid starter too. Also, Luke Hudson had some fantastic starts towards the 2nd half of the season, especially against us. Their rotation can actually be a solid one of all goes right.

Meche and Perez both pitch to their capabilities, Hudson shows that his few dominant starts werent all fluky, Greinke returns and than they will eventually get Elearton back who is a solid back end of a rotation guy.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
Yeah I think Greinke can come back and can be a solid starter too. Also, Luke Hudson had some fantastic starts towards the 2nd half of the season, especially against us. Their rotation can actually be a solid one of all goes right.

Meche and Perez both pitch to their capabilities, Hudson shows that his few dominant starts werent all fluky, Greinke returns and than they will eventually get Elearton back who is a solid back end of a rotation guy.

I know Moore got chastised for some of his moves, e.g signing Meche at $11M per and trading for Gload, but the signs are there for a revival for that franchise over the next few seasons.

Rotation wise they're lookin pretty decent as you've said. And Moore wants good young power pitchers. Tyler Lumsden is a guy you could be seeing for the Royals in the not so distant future.

Sweeney's $11M contract comes off the books at the end of the season. Gordon and Butler should be pernament fixtures from 2008, and maybe Justin Huber could actually get a shot for a change.

Clearly, Detroit has the best starting rotation in the division - both in young arms and upside. The White Sox COULD have a nice rotation, but there are too many starters in there who are coming off of bad years (Buerhle, and Contreras to some extent) OR who just aren't that good (Vazquez and the 5th starter).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 06:48 AM)
I know Moore got chastised for some of his moves, e.g signing Meche at $11M per and trading for Gload, but the signs are there for a revival for that franchise over the next few seasons.

Rotation wise they're lookin pretty decent as you've said. And Moore wants good young power pitchers. Tyler Lumsden is a guy you could be seeing for the Royals in the not so distant future.

Sweeney's $11M contract comes off the books at the end of the season. Gordon and Butler should be pernament fixtures from 2008, and maybe Justin Huber could actually get a shot for a change.

Yeah Butler from all Ive heard is a very good bat and we all know about Gordon. The Royals are on the way up give or take 2-3 more seasons.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 01:43 AM)
Clearly, Detroit has the best starting rotation in the division - both in young arms and upside. The White Sox COULD have a nice rotation, but there are too many starters in there who are coming off of bad years (Buerhle, and Contreras to some extent) OR who just aren't that good (Vazquez and the 5th starter).

There isn't s*** that's clear at this point.

And...Vazquez easily had the best peripherals last year out of any White Sox starter, so to say he's not good is ignorant. He's pitched one year for the White Sox, and hasn't pitched back to back years in the same league since 2002-2003.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 04:00 AM)

And...Vazquez easily had the best peripherals last year out of any White Sox starter, so to say he's not good is ignorant. He's pitched one year for the White Sox, and hasn't pitched back to back years in the same league since 2002-2003.

I agree about Vazquez, but still, it's clear that the Tigers had better sp last year. And with their youth and the talent that everybody's been talking about for years, I'm not gonna bet against them in any case, even as I'm consciously trying to be a homer -- add in the fact that we have Floyd 'o the 65 career era+ as our 5th starter, and I'd say they clearly look better at this point. I'll go with Kalapse's ranking.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 03:30 AM)
I agree about Vazquez, but still, it's clear that the Tigers had better sp last year. And with their youth and the talent that everybody's been talking about for years, I'm not gonna bet against them in any case, even as I'm consciously trying to be a homer -- add in the fact that we have Floyd 'o the 65 career era+ as our 5th starter, and I'd say they clearly look better at this point. I'll go with Kalapse's ranking.

I would go exactly with Kalapse's, only because I love Cleveland's rotation to death.

Edited by witesoxfan

I don't think Clevelands starting rotation is better then ours. Paul Byrd is just plain garbage. Out 5th starter, whoever it may be, will still out perform Byrd.

I agree with the Tigers having the best rotation. I'm anxious to see how their youth + inexperience + world series run wears them down.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)

But it was clear we had the best starting pitching as well coming off 05. Let's see if the wear and tear affects them the same way it affected us.

It's clear that Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit have the best staffs. What order will they finish in? I don't know. None has a track record of being clearly, year-in-year-out the best. The staffs are close enough, and pitching unpredictable enough that it's anybody's guess. Was there a consensus that Chicago and Cleveland would be that good in 2005? That we'd be that bad and Detroit would be that good in '06? I don't think so, so the February guesses don't seem to mean much to me.

I do like how much worse Detroit's staff was in the second half. Bonderman and Verlander had ERA's of 4.87 and 4.54 in the second half. Verlander skipped starts and had a 5.82 ERA in August and September. That plus their post-season workload and Rogers' old bones makes me optomistic Detroit will be notably worse this year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 03:00 AM)

Vazquez is an underachiver. Yes, he has good stuff, and any given outing, can shut down an opposing team, but more often than not, he'll pitch good for the first few innings, and then fall apart.

As a #4 starter, I'm fine with him, but since his time in Montreal, what has he done to make you think he'll be better than a #4 starter ?