The East Bracket (East Rutherford)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
KU also has the 3rd best defense in the nation, UNC like Kansas just needs to let Durant get his 28+ and contain Abrams and Augustin.

Easier said than done. KU let Durant get his both times, used their depth, and still BARELY pulled out victories, and KU is the most talented and deep team in the country along with UNC. Very few people can do that, which is why if Texas survives UNC, I think they'll go to Atlanta and blow up all the brackets with Georgetown there *waves*.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
You'd think teams would start doubling him at all times since James and Mason generally aren't going to hurt you that bad. If he doesn't crack at least 25 against most teams they're toast unless Abrams is hot...

The interesting thing about Durant is he's better against bigger guys and doubles. When KU doubled him or put Arthur or Kaun or somebody big on him, he scored at will. His trouble came against a smaller, quicker guy in Brandon Rush. Really, the only way to stop him IMO is use quickness to slow him/wear him down, although Brandan Wright on Durant would be a fascinating matchup.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
The interesting thing about Durant is he's better against bigger guys and doubles. When KU doubled him or put Arthur or Kaun or somebody big on him, he scored at will. His trouble came against a smaller, quicker guy in Brandon Rush. Really, the only way to stop him IMO is use quickness to slow him/wear him down, although Brandan Wright on Durant would be a fascinating matchup.

Well, big guys have no chance, he's much more dangerous on the perimeter than inside. Ideally you'd put a big athletic wing player on him (like Rush, Wright, or as it pertains to UNC, Terry) who's main goal is to try to deny the ball. Then with the double you bring a big if he's in the post or another guard to try to seal/trap on the perimeter (of course the problem is that you can't really leave Augustin or Abrams too often, and Mason is an okay shooter too. I'd rather take my chances with the latter two though).

If you can get him with the double and stop him from shooting over you, then that should help because he's not the greatest passer and half of the other guys on the floor aren't huge threats, or even better, he'll try to force up the shot through the two guys. That's pretty hard to do though, as he's obviously huge and freakishly athletic.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:21 PM)
Texas better worry about their first two round opponents before they worry about the Tar Heels.

I think that could be a hell of a game with USC. Both are perimeter oriented teams with athletic perimeter players that can shoot, and USC has been pretty good defensively. They also actually have someone that can score in the post in Gibson.

I couldn't pick them over UT though, they have no one that can matchup well with Durant (MAYBE Young, but not so sure about that), and they really only have 4 good players themselves.

To be fair though, they did struggle to put away Baylor and Oklahoma State. If Durant tries to do everything and is forcing shots while Augustin and Abrams aren't really factors (and both struggled a bit in the Big 12 tourney), that really hurts their cause. As gifted as he has, he can't do it alone.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
I think that could be a hell of a game with USC. Both are perimeter oriented teams with athletic perimeter players that can shoot, and USC has been pretty good defensively. They also actually have someone that can score in the post in Gibson.

I couldn't pick them over UT though, they have no one that can matchup well with Durant (MAYBE Young, but not so sure about that), and they really only have 4 good players themselves.

To be fair though, they did struggle to put away Baylor and Oklahoma State. If Durant tries to do everything and is forcing shots while Augustin and Abrams aren't really factors (and both struggled a bit in the Big 12 tourney), that really hurts their cause. As gifted as he has, he can't do it alone.

I like USC in that game, I really do. Also, just saying, NMSU is athletic enough to stick with UT. I personally believe Texas is a tad overrated, jmo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
I like USC in that game, I really do. Also, just saying, NMSU is athletic enough to stick with UT. I personally believe Texas is a tad overrated, jmo.

I think they are too, but it's hard to ignore Durant, and Augustin has been a damn good point guard for most of the year as well. If they had a competent big man they'd really be A LOT more dangerous IMO.

I've liked USC most of the year, I'm just not sure they have quite enough to hang with UT. Also, Arkansas is a bad matchup for them in the first round with their size, and they're not exactly terrible on the perimeter either. Even if they win, they'll probably be a bit more beat up, which tempers my enthusiasm a bit...

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
I think they are too, but it's hard to ignore Durant, and Augustin has been a damn good point guard for most of the year as well. If they had a competent big man they'd really be A LOT more dangerous IMO.

I've liked USC most of the year, I'm just not sure they have quite enough to hang with UT. Also, Arkansas is a bad matchup for them in the first round with their size, and they're not exactly terrible on the perimeter either. Even if they win, they'll probably be a bit more beat up, which tempers my enthusiasm a bit...

I'd never dare ignore Durant ;). Obviously Augustin has become a stud as well, overall though, I just can't get too excited about them as a team. IMO they have a tendancy to just allow points in bunches and that will eventually be their down fall.

As for USC-Arkansas, I completely agree that USC is going to have a tough one there. Arkansas is a really big team, and they pressure the ball about as good any one. Eventually though, I just think USC is too tough overall and they'll pull out a close one.

Neither USC or Texas are a 100 percent certainty to make it to the 2nd round, but if they do matchup, I believe USC will take them.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
It's official, McNeal (Marquette) is out for the tournament.

:crying

That's a shame. He was the MVP of this team, and it sucks that he got injured in practice. Or else I thought we could've given UNC a decent run for their money.

I'll be happy if we can take MSU. Because they're not going any further than that.

Ah, well... Great year, Jerel, come back next year and stay healthy. That's the year the program has been looking for since the Wade season.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 03:13 AM)
Is he playing or not? Did Marquette just want to f*** up people's brackets?

If he plays, it'll be in a limited role off the bench. He is, without a doubt, Marquette's best defender, so Crean would probably have him chase Neitzel around for ten minutes or so, give some rest to guys like Cubillan and James to do more damage offensively.

Yikes... MU has been without him for the past three games. They beat Pitt without him, won comfortably at St. John's, and lost to Pitt by ten in the BETourney. Even without McNeal, MU is more talented than MSU. MU should be able to pull it out.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
Oral Roberts

clap clap clap clap clap

That was the other "Below 12 seed" I considered picking, but I decided to go with Davidson. Given that the one I did pick just lost, I'd say Oral Roberts is in good shape.