If KW trades for a minor league leadoff man, it will be

caulfield12

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)
and we would do this because?

Because we don't have anyone who is anything resembling a real leadoff hitter going into the future.

--

All these trades sound great. In theory. But it's not like ordering a pizza. :(

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)
Because we don't have anyone who is anything resembling a real leadoff hitter going into the future.

--

All these trades sound great. In theory. But it's not like ordering a pizza. :(

Which is why I'm approaching this from the perspective that the Mets or Red Sox would be good trade partners, because of their probability of competing for playoffs spots....same with Angels.

The Mets have a more highly-rated OF in Fernando Martinez, but he's 2-3 years away.

We've always coveted Pelfrey, but we might have to settle for Heileman, Maine or Philip Humber.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
Aybar would be an interesting choice...he seems to play good d and has a hell of an arm.

Aybar will be much more easily pried loose than Wood, and I don't think the Angels can afford to let Cabrera go while they're so competitive to break in a rookie SS and 3B (Wood) at the same time.

I personally am a big fan of Jacoby (how do you even pronounce that?) Ellisbury. I think he would be a great fit for us, because he isn't your usual Juan Pierre/Scott Podsednik/etc. noodle arm weak defensive outfielder. He is actually very good in CF and covers a lot of ground, and has a decent arm. Imagine an OF of him, Anderson, and Sweeney in 3 years if they all live up to their potential.

But, the only way I see us trading with Boston is if we are out of contention, and they need some pitching help. Same goes for the Mets. And Angels, lol. I could maybe see the Angels go for Crede, and then they would just keep Wood at SS, or maybe even move him to LF.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
Gomez, Aybar, and Callaspo are all brutal offensively. Jacoby would be interesting, but I just don't see the Red Sox parting with him.

Red Sox won't trade him. They're more likely to trade Crisp in a few seasons than block Ellsbury or let him go.

White Sox just have to develop their own leadoff talent. And pitching talent. And catching talent. And middle infield talent. And quality outfielders who actually remain on the ballclub.

There is no way Minaya deals Gomez, Pelfrey, or any other young player that may help the Mets in the long run this September.

Carlos Gomez is only 21 years old and he's in AAA. He hit .281 last season in AA, the only thing left for him to work on is his plate patience. Other than that he's another great young outfielder for the Mets. He stole 41 bags last year.

What exactly would the Mets be interested in from our organization at this point in time?

We aren't getting Gomez, and I'm positive we won't get Ellsbury either.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
There is no way Minaya deals Gomez, Pelfrey, or any other young player that may help the Mets in the long run this September.

Carlos Gomez is only 21 years old and he's in AAA. He hit .281 last season in AA, the only thing left for him to work on is his plate patience. Other than that he's another great young outfielder for the Mets. He stole 41 bags last year.

What exactly would the Mets be interested in from our organization at this point in time?

We aren't getting Gomez, and I'm positive we won't get Ellsbury either.

What happens if Alou or Green get injured? Both are getting old in the tooth. Delgado?

What if Pedro Martinez doesn't come back? They need to replace D. Sanchez too.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
What happens if Alou or Green get injured? Both are getting old in the tooth. Delgado?

What if Pedro Martinez doesn't come back? They need to replace D. Sanchez too.

If Green gets hurt or Alou, Lastings Milledge and Endy Chavez will fill in.

Milledge had a great spring, and may actually put up more productive numbers than Green.

The Mets are counting on rookie Joe Smith to pick up some of Duaner's innings, chances are if need be Minaya will go for an arm that won't cost them a top prospect at the deadline.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)
If Green gets hurt or Alou, Lastings Milledge and Endy Chavez will fill in.

Milledge had a great spring, and may actually put up more productive numbers than Green.

If the Mets do wind up needing a starter though, I think this may well be the year they move Milledge. They have enough OF to hold down the fort for a few years. So if we do fall out of it, Buehrle/Milledge is a potential swap.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
If the Mets do wind up needing a starter though, I think this may well be the year they move Milledge. They have enough OF to hold down the fort for a few years. So if we do fall out of it, Buehrle/Milledge is a potential swap.

I'd agree with you, but I think the Mets believe they have enough starting pitching for the season. Pedro is due back in June, and if one of the 5 falter they still can experiment with Chan Ho Park, Jason Vargas, or another pitching prospect Phil Humber.

I just don't see the Mets giving up a stud prospect to fill a hole, I only see them giving up a stud prospect to get a stud player in return.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
I'd agree with you, but I think the Mets believe they have enough starting pitching for the season. Pedro is due back in June, and if one of the 5 falter they still can experiment with Chan Ho Park, Jason Vargas, or another pitching prospect Phil Humber.

I just don't see the Mets giving up a stud prospect to fill a hole, I only see them giving up a stud prospect to get a stud player in return.

I think Mark Buehrle is certainly a stud player, and if they do lose him they still would get draft pick compensation.

If their starters struggle, which honestly we haven't seen so far, I think Minaya is probably more likely to make a move than to risk going into the postseason with a battered rotation like he did last year. Especially with the hits his bullpen has taken this year compared to last.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
I'm waiting for one person to see this thread and mention the name Reggie Willits.

He knows who he is. :bang :D

:P

don't hate the player, hate the game :)

he made the angel 25 and hes been impressive thus far .400 (2/5) 2BB/1K, hes got a great eye, can steal a bag, has a great glove and just amazing OBP skills. I'd love to have him.

Crede after this season for Sean Rodriguez and Willits, and some power BP arm that can't find the zone or has a "character" issue ala jenks/turnbow

Well I'm hoping he won't have to after we sign Ichiro in the off-season. :D

But as for a few possibilities here we go;

Erick Aybar - Seems to be the main candidate. Has the defensive skills to stick at SS, and seems capable of hitting leadoff possibly. And I think in the off-season, a Crede deal for Aybar and a pitching spect could be a real possibility.

Jeremy Reed - I still think there's a slight chance we could re-acquire him somepoint in the future. Whether he's more suited to a #2 or lower in the order hitter, that's up for discussion.

Antoan Richardson - C+ spect from John Sickels. Stole 66 SB's in A ball last season, and had a .381 OBP. From the Giants organization. He's only 22, but needs to hit at higher levels 1st.

Lorenzo Cain - Another C+ spect from Sickels. From the Brewers, drafted in the 17th round. .307/.384/.425 in A ball last season, 34 SB's. Sleeper spect with speed and power potential apparently.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)

Jerry Owens has the right skill set. He's still needs development but his tools are good for the slot.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 06:30 AM)
Jerry Owens has the right skill set. He's still needs development but his tools are good for the slot.

Owens will never be anything more than a 4th OF. The only guy that could possibly be a top of the lineup person in our minor league system is Valido.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
Owens will never be anything more than a 4th OF. The only guy that could possibly be a top of the lineup person in our minor league system is Valido.

Denorfia from the Reds is another name, but I think he's a little long in the tooth, although Pods was the same way. I'm not sure either Denorfia or Willits are going to get you enough movement on the basepaths though. A lot of people argued we should get someone like Frank Catalanotto for LF because OBP is more important than merely SB's and pure speed, it's an interesting argument.

While we're at it, might as well get Freel. LOL.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
I'm not concerned about SB or aggressiveness if we still have a 3-4-5 as overpowering as it is right now.

The problem is that you need someone to intimidate, get in the pitcher's head...speed and defense are the only things in baseball that never slump, and the Twins proved it again last year (although they have as many sluggers as we do, their complementary players out fundamentalized us to death), for the fourth out of five years.

When Pods is on his game, and the White Sox have someone who is willing to sacrifice himself and do the little things to put a run across early (Erstad), it tends to rub off on the entire team and become part of the mindset. To make things happen instead of waiting.

In August and September last year, our offense was dead man walking, strictly stationary baseball...sometimes it took four hits in a row with the lumbering middle of the order.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
I don't understand all this talk of a new leadoff hitter, we have the second coming in Pods already.

I'm willing to give Willits a chance, although the problem is we'll need power from LF and RF, and Sweeney might not be enough. Unless Fields moves to LF or we acquire a FA.

Some other names...

Drew Stubbs-Reds

Quintin Berry-Phillies

Andrew McCutchen or Rajai Davis--Pirates

Trevor Crowe-Indians (I think he was BA's teammate)

Michael Bourn (I really like him a lot, exciting player)

Eider Torres-2B

Brett Gardner-CF

Eric Patterson-2B (Corey's brother?)

Jose Campusano (any relation to Sil?)

Alejandro De Aza (just liked the name, but he's very fast)

Josh Anderson