If KW trades for a minor league leadoff man, it will be

caulfield12

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 08:16 AM)
I'm not concerned about SB or aggressiveness if we still have a 3-4-5 as overpowering as it is right now.

I think most of us feel the same way. Ozzie is hellbent on it though.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
I think most of us feel the same way. Ozzie is hellbent on it though.

Would you say pitching is the ONLY reason the Twins have beaten us four of the last five seasons?

Besides our injury-plagued 2004, which one of those years could you honestly say the Twins had more talent out on the field?

Wouldn't it make some sense to bring in their Director of Scouting (with a huge raise) to supplement what we already do well, which is identifying major league players that are undervalued, as well as deciding which of our prospects to trade and which to hold onto (this will be tested by Chris Young)?

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
Would you say pitching is the ONLY reason the Twins have beaten us four of the last five seasons?

Besides our injury-plagued 2004, which one of those years could you honestly say the Twins had more talent out on the field?

Wouldn't it make some sense to bring in their Director of Scouting (with a huge raise) to supplement what we already do well, which is identifying major league players that are undervalued, as well as deciding which of our prospects to trade and which to hold onto (this will be tested by Chris Young)?

I don't understand why you quoted me. I'm just echoing Craig Grebeck's sentiments that with a middle of the order that hits so many home runs, our focus for the top of the order should be OBP, not speed.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 08:27 AM)
Denorfia from the Reds is another name, but I think he's a little long in the tooth, although Pods was the same way. I'm not sure either Denorfia or Willits are going to get you enough movement on the basepaths though. A lot of people argued we should get someone like Frank Catalanotto for LF because OBP is more important than merely SB's and pure speed, it's an interesting argument.

While we're at it, might as well get Freel. LOL.

Willits has the speed to steal 40+, in 06 he stole 35 between AAA and The show, and in '05 40, and in '04 44

the kid has speed, and is a switch hitter, add the fact that he has a very very steady glove and a decent arm you can put him anywhere in the OF

Reggie Willits = :wub:

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
Alejandro De Aza (just liked the name, but he's very fast)

De Aza is my choice for NL ROY; Troy Tulowitzki who?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
Jacoby (how do you even pronounce that?) Ellisbury.

Ja-CO-by (at least that's the way I've heard it before), and I doubt the Red Sox will part with him.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
Michael Bourn (I really like him a lot, exciting player)

Isn't he pretty much untouchable?

Willits would be a great choice if he could put up .360/.415/.775 and steal 30-40 bases. If anything more, it would be just ridiculously good.

Ichiro would be fantastic too, but I honestly think a great leadoff hitter is a pipedream right now.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
Willits would be a great choice if he could put up .360/.415/.775 and steal 30-40 bases. If anything more, it would be just ridiculously good.

Ichiro would be fantastic too, but I honestly think a great leadoff hitter is a pipedream right now.

So, just out of curiosity, given Ichiro's stated desire to hit the Free Agent market no matter what...does anyone think Seattle might move him @ the deadline if they're convinced they're going to lose him?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
So, just out of curiosity, given Ichiro's stated desire to hit the Free Agent market no matter what...does anyone think Seattle might move him @ the deadline if they're convinced they're going to lose him?

I think so, given the right price. And that right price could be something completely ridiculous too knowing Bavasi.

Given, they'd have to be way out, and the offer would have to be right. Thus, I would imagine they would look for atleast Gio, and perhaps Gio and Broadway. The only way I'd make either is if I were given the opportunity to extend him, and if I wasn't, there'd be no way in hell it'd be worth it.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
I think so, given the right price. And that right price could be something completely ridiculous too knowing Bavasi.

Given, they'd have to be way out, and the offer would have to be right. Thus, I would imagine they would look for atleast Gio, and perhaps Gio and Broadway. The only way I'd make either is if I were given the opportunity to extend him, and if I wasn't, there'd be no way in hell it'd be worth it.

It would take Gio, Broadway and either Sweeney or Fields.

It would make no sense at all, if the White Sox couldn't get him to agree to an extension (like the Garcia deal).

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
It would take Gio, Broadway and either Sweeney or Fields.

It would make no sense at all, if the White Sox couldn't get him to agree to an extension (like the Garcia deal).

Last season really seemed to bring down the price of players at the deadline. All teams realize that they'll only have the player for 2-3 months, and it just isn't worth mortgaging the future for one piece that may or may not be the final piece of the puzzle. These teams also realize the team trading said piece either has to get rid of him or take a decreased price for the player as they lose them to arbitration in the form of 2 draft picks in the best case scenario.

I really don't think Sweeney or Fields would be necessary because of that. Gio and Broadway is probably the most it would take, and that's way too much for me unless Ichiro resigns at 4/$60.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 02:29 AM)
Well I'm hoping he won't have to after we sign Ichiro in the off-season. :D

But as for a few possibilities here we go;

Erick Aybar - Seems to be the main candidate. Has the defensive skills to stick at SS, and seems capable of hitting leadoff possibly. And I think in the off-season, a Crede deal for Aybar and a pitching spect could be a real possibility.

Jeremy Reed - I still think there's a slight chance we could re-acquire him somepoint in the future. Whether he's more suited to a #2 or lower in the order hitter, that's up for discussion.

Antoan Richardson - C+ spect from John Sickels. Stole 66 SB's in A ball last season, and had a .381 OBP. From the Giants organization. He's only 22, but needs to hit at higher levels 1st.

Lorenzo Cain - Another C+ spect from Sickels. From the Brewers, drafted in the 17th round. .307/.384/.425 in A ball last season, 34 SB's. Sleeper spect with speed and power potential apparently.

That is a very interesting name you bring up... he would probably be one of the easier to gets, but he is a project and still at least 2-3 years away. But he does have the speed.