McCarthy Watch

caulfield12

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 17, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
          G  GS  W  L  IP    H   R   ER  HR BB  K  ERA  WHIP  BAA       

Danks 7 7 2 4 41.2 42 19 19 7 13 35 4.10 1.32 .256

McCarthy 9 8 3 4 37.1 45 29 27 5 19 23 6.51 1.71 .296

I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from this information... Remember! Trading McCarthy weakens us for 2007!

Well it's went from an all time bad deal to just a horrible trade for Texas with the recent turn of events. Still 2 k's and 2 walks though, his ratio there is not good enough to be consistently good for long stretches between that (25/21 for the year) and all the fly balls he gives up.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
Well it's went from an all time bad deal to just a horrible trade for Texas with the recent turn of events. Still 2 k's and 2 walks though, his ratio there is not good enough to be consistently good for long stretches between that (25/21 for the year) and all the fly balls he gives up.

Still way too early to judge. I wouldn't write off McCarthy. He struggled mightily, but has come around, even if his bb/k ratio isn't the greatest right now. His past history suggests that should improve and the guy is now 4-4 for a team 10 games under .500. I really don't think thats a bad thing.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)
Still way too early to judge. I wouldn't write off McCarthy. He struggled mightily, but has come around, even if his bb/k ratio isn't the greatest right now. His past history suggests that should improve and the guy is now 4-4 for a team 10 games under .500. I really don't think thats a bad thing.

His ERA is still near 6. Even if McCarthy is good, it's going to work out to be a very bad trade for them considering what they gave up. When your best case senario is the trade only turns out very bad, it's a bit of an issue for the GM.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)
His ERA is still near 6. Even if McCarthy is good, it's going to work out to be a very bad trade for them considering what they gave up. When your best case senario is the trade only turns out very bad, it's a bit of an issue for the GM.

Maybe if Danks and Masset are the stars you apparently feel they already are. Danks has been good, but you mentioned McCarthy and flyballs. You do realize Danks has a higher homerun rate than McCarthy even with McCarthy's bloated ERA? You mentioned McCarthy's bb/k ratio. You do realize its much better than Masset's even after Nick's fine performance today? Danks and Masset both have decent potential as does McCarthy. Someone may get hurt. Someone may become bad. Someone may have a Matt Clement and get hit in the head and not be any good anymore. It will be fun to see how it turns out after a year, 2 years etc.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
Maybe if Danks and Masset are the stars you apparently feel they already are. Danks has been good, but you mentioned McCarthy and flyballs. You do realize Danks has a higher homerun rate than McCarthy even with McCarthy's bloated ERA? You mentioned McCarthy's bb/k ratio. You do realize its much better than Masset's even after Nick's fine performance today? Danks and Masset both have decent potential as does McCarthy. Someone may get hurt. Someone may become bad. Someone may have a Matt Clement and get hit in the head and not be any good anymore. It will be fun to see how it turns out after a year, 2 years etc.

Masset does a lot better with ground balls than Brandom, and Danks strikeout ratio is a lot better than Brandon. I'm not saying either guy we got is a star yet, but they'll both be at minimum similar to McCarthy, so to get 2 for 1, with one of ours a lefty, for Brandon, is a steal at minimum. But I'm glad to see Brandon McCarthy reads the boards :)

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)
Masset does a lot better with ground balls than Brandom, and Danks strikeout ratio is a lot better than Brandon. I'm not saying either guy we got is a star yet, but they'll both be at minimum similar to McCarthy, so to get 2 for 1, with one of ours a lefty, for Brandon, is a steal at minimum. But I'm glad to see Brandon McCarthy reads the boards :)

Not quite. Judging by the avatar, that's Brandon's girlfriend...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 25, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Why only two IP?

the game with Boston had a 2 hour game delay I am seeing on the ESPN scoreboard, maybe they just put another pitcher in after that long of a layoff.

2 IP 1 H, 4 ER, 4 Wallks (!!!), 1 K

6.35 ERA

Brandon deserved the loss, but the Rangers came back with 5 against Dice-K to take McCarthy off the hook until the Rangers' bullpen managed to blow it.

Time is running out for underprepared and inexperienced GM Jon Daniels.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 26, 2007 -> 07:21 AM)
2 IP 1 H, 4 ER, 4 Wallks (!!!), 1 K

6.35 ERA

Brandon deserved the loss, but the Rangers came back with 5 against Dice-K to take McCarthy off the hook until the Rangers' bullpen managed to blow it.

Time is running out for underprepared and inexperienced GM Jon Daniels.

again, blisters will affect a lot.

McCarthy had been really solid over his previous 4 starts, so this looks more like a bump in the road than the course for the route, unless of course blisters become a huge problem for him in the future.

• 3 weeks later...