2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anderson was terrible last year and apparently had an ego and poor work ethic behind the scenes.

Guillen is saying he isn't guaranteed a starting job this year, whereas last year it was quite clear he was The Man and all the eggs were in his basket going in.

That devilish Osvaldo!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
Anderson was terrible last year and apparently had an ego and poor work ethic behind the scenes.

Guillen is saying he isn't guaranteed a starting job this year, whereas last year it was quite clear he was The Man and all the eggs were in his basket going in.

That devilish Osvaldo!

Greg have you seen Tererro play with the Orioles. Do you really think you have something different in him. Baseball players have to have an ego, in fact if you want to succeed at anything you need an ego, a level of cockiness, confidence from within.

I concur: you've got to have confidence. Absolutely.

I've seen Terr. play and I don't want him very much. I wasn't defending the idea of him being on the roster, not at all, but I do like having him in the minors just in case.

I'm defending Ozzie from the criticism that he's somehow persecuting BA. Apparently, BA wasn't just confident last year: he had an ego and didn't work hard and of course didn't bring much to the table offensively. For Ozzie to say he's not guaranteed a spot this year, I can't blame him, and it's definitely not "persecuting" or as if Ozzie is singling him out because he's a bully or whatever the consensus has become.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
I concur: you've got to have confidence. Absolutely.

I've seen Terr. play and I don't want him very much. I wasn't defending the idea of him being on the roster, not at all, but I do like having him in the minors just in case.

I'm defending Ozzie from the criticism that he's somehow persecuting BA. Apparently, BA wasn't just confident last year: he had an ego and didn't work hard and of course didn't bring much to the table offensively. For Ozzie to say he's not guaranteed a spot this year, I can't blame him, and it's definitely not "persecuting" or as if Ozzie is singling him out because he's a bully or whatever the consensus has become.

What insider information do you have that Anderson didnt work. I have heard him being described as cocky yes, but lazy? I could care less that Ozzie picks on Anderson, if he spreads the wealth of criticism around. Such as Pods who no matter how bad, and how much of a hindrance to our team he was, kept trotting out day after day in LF. Ozzie has had a habit of being stubborn to a fault with his favorites and putting them in because he thinks its the X factor. In 05 it was Timo, who was thrown out at 1st base, DH and in the OF. Timo was horrible. In 06 he put a corner OF in CF, even though the limited offensive production we received from it wasnt worth the shear butchery that was being displayed by his presence. Ozzie has a template. He wants this to be the Marlins offense of a few years ago with Pierre and Castillo up top. Well we dont have Pierre and Castillo of that vintage on this team. This is a power team. We need guys who can get on base, so our thumpers can drive them in. We dont need prancer getting on first, only to get picked off because his groin hurts and cant run anymore.

Everything that Ozzie has said and that story that came out a month ago all suggest implicitly and explicitly that Anderson had a poor work ethic.

I'm not even going to get into Pods or anything else since I wasn't talking about that. If you'd like to have a sililoquey about Podsednik and Timo Perez, by all means -- and I think I agree with a good portion of it -- but I'm not going to get into that.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)

That devilish Osvaldo!

And that was all last year.

As far as I can tell, Anderson was the first outfielder to report this year. What's that say about his work ethic?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
I'm with you on that.

--

BA had better be ready to work this year. Since he didn't do much last year.

What's your proof on that? He reminds me so much of Crede at this point.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 04:13 PM)
That he didn't do much last year? Uh, I just made it up.

If he turns out to be Crede -- well, that's not exactly optimal, and it probably doesn't bode well for next year, either.

Actually it would bode well for the Sox. If Anderson follows Crede's career path exactly that means next year he'll be close to league average since Crede in his second shot with the Sox was actually pretty effective at the plate sporting a 94 OPS+ as a 25 year old in 2003.

"Next time, when the order comes across that I have to protect my team, I don't care if it's four misses to the backstop," Tracey said. "At least four. If that's not good enough, then maybe I'll go tackle the guy.

"A lot of people back home asked were you water-eyed or crying [in Texas]. It was more anger and frustration. When your manager gives you a job to do, you have to execute it, bottom line. No questions, no excuses. It was just a bad deal, but it was a growing experience."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Good article on Tracey.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
Keith Law and Olney both mentioned Haeger as the front runner for the 5th starter this year.

No one, and I mean no pitcher in the organization right now other than Charlie Haeger and Gavin Floyd should see action in the #5 spot before July barring injuries.

from the fort worth star telegram

Why did the White Sox suddenly make McCarthy available? Good question but there's no clear-cut answer. McCarthy had made it known that he was ready to start after a year's apprenticeship in the bullpen, but there are rumors that there was more to it than that, perhaps even something personal between Williams and the young pitcher.

"Without getting too much into it, there were personal things between us in different realms, but not really in how I was being used, certainly not last year," McCarthy said. "When you've got five [starters] of that caliber, cracking that rotation is certainly not going to be easy.