greasywheels121

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broadway, Danks among spring invites

01/22/2007 4:20 PM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Non-roster invitees for Spring Training usually rate no more than a cursory glance, a quick look up and down the list for familiar names trying to hook on for the 25th and final roster spot with a new team or top prospects getting their first taste of the big leagues.

But among the White Sox list of 15 non-roster players heading to big-league camp in Tucson, announced Monday afternoon, could be the fifth starter for one of baseball's most complete rotations. Actually, it would be the work of this fifth starter which would complement the accomplished veteran quartet of Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Jon Garland and Javier Vazquez.

A group of pitchers including Gavin Floyd, knuckleballer Charlie Haeger and even Sean Tracey and Heath Phillips already have been tossed around to fill this particular vacancy. Lance Broadway and John Danks, two of the featured non-roster invitees, also will play a strong part in this open competition.

Broadway, 23 and the team's top draft pick from the 2005 class, is coming off of an 8-8 record with a 2.75 ERA over 160 1/3 innings last year between stops at Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte. The right-hander features a fastball in the low 90s but also has a great curve ball and an equally strong mound presence.

During three Cactus League games last spring, Broadway finished with a 9.82 ERA and yielded seven hits over 3 2/3 innings. Broadway also knows he'll be more comfortable the second time around.

"This Spring Training is going to be a lot different for me," said Broadway earlier this offseason. "I'm not going to be watching to see how things are done. I'm out there to do the best I can and show the team what I can do."

Danks, 21, came over to the White Sox in a Dec. 23, 2006, trade sending Brandon McCarthy to Texas. The left-hander was the crown jewel of the deal for the White Sox, finishing 9-9 in 2006 with 154 strikeouts in 140 innings during 2006 stints with Double-A Frisco and Triple-A Oklahoma. Some pundits believe Danks might need more Minor League seasoning, but he certainly will be given every chance to earn one of the final roster spots.

"I want to come into Spring Training ready to go," said Danks after the trade. "I had a real good camp last year, and I want to have another one of those."

Hurlers with previous Major League experience such as Ryan Bukvich and Eduardo Sierra also agreed to Minor League deals with the White Sox and will be at Spring Training, as will catcher Wiki Gonzalez and infielder Kenny Perez. Sierra pitched for Birmingham for most of last season but was non-tendered by the South Siders and removed from the 40-man roster.

While Broadway and Danks should compete for a job in the present, future White Sox contributors also are part of this non-roster list. That group includes infielder Robert Valido, catcher Donny Lucy and pitchers Wes Whisler and Adam Russell. Gio Gonzalez also received an invite, the hard-throwing left-hander acquired from Philadelphia as part of the Freddy Garcia deal during the Winter Meetings in Orlando.

Gonzalez, 21, most likely will start the season at Charlotte but has the potential to be a top-of-the-rotation starter in the very near future. The White Sox certainly aren't above adding surprises out of Spring Training, breaking camp in 2006 with reliever Boone Logan, who had never seen any consistent time above rookie ball before he started his climb during an intrasquad game at the Kino Sports Complex.

On the air: The White Sox will televise 10 Cactus League games on Comcast SportsNet and two on WGN-TV. WSCR, the club's flagship radio station, will air 15 Spring Training games.

The first televised game will take place on March 2, featuring the White Sox against the Rockies. WGN-TV will broadcast the White Sox against the Cubs on March 16 and the White Sox against Arizona on March 24.

Ken "Hawk" Harrelson and Darrin Jackson will handle the 12 televised games, while Ed Farmer and Chris Singleton once again will bring home the action over the radio broadcast.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Those Invited:

P

Lance Broadway

Ryan Bukvich

Joh Danks

Gio Gonzalez

Corwin Malone

Adam Russell

Edwardo Sierra

Wes Whisler

C

Cole Armstrong

Wiki Gonzalez

Donny Lucy

Gustavo Molina

IF

Kenny Perez

Robert Valido

OF

Kenny Kelly

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
I agree. I am really excited to see 1.Danks 2.Floyd 3.Gio 4.Sisco 5.Aardsma 6.Masset, probably in that order

That is an interesting group. It will be interesting to see 3-5 years down the road who makes it, and who flops.

TSN came out with their catcher ratings today. White Sox were ranked 4th in the AL with AJP being ranked as the 9th best catcher(Both leagues included for individual rankings). Twins and Tigers were number 1 and 2 yet again. Mauer was 2nd overall and I-Rod was 5th. Indians were 4th with Victor Martinez being ranked 14th. Royals were 13th, Buck was 20th.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 25, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
TSN came out with their catcher ratings today. White Sox were ranked 4th in the AL with AJP being ranked as the 9th best catcher(Both leagues included for individual rankings). Twins and Tigers were number 1 and 2 yet again. Mauer was 2nd overall and I-Rod was 5th. Indians were 4th with Victor Martinez being ranked 14th. Royals were 13th, Buck was 20th.

Who the heck was rated above Mauer?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 02:23 AM)
Who the heck was rated above Mauer?

Ramon Hernandez...yeah.

EDIT: For the cathers(unlike the pitchers), they tried coming up with a formula for doing things. This was for the individual rankings only. They basically said Hernandez didn't actually deserve to be number 1, and put the Orioles catching unit 3rd in the AL.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I figured I'd put my Bears post on here since I can't find the Bears

board:

Nice kickoff return to start the game, but after that blahsville for DaBears.

We mostly got the Bad Rex. Injury to RB didn't help matters at all.

Manning shredded our defense with short passes.

No blitzes.

Maybe it was good defensive strategy since we were in the game til that

last Indy score.

We didn't really take it to them I didn't think.

I have no real complaints though.

Are all of you satisfied since NFC figured to get bludgeoned in Super Bowl

and we gave it a good shot or are you mad at ...

a.) Lovie

b.) defensive coordinator.

c.) Rex.

d.) God for making it rain.

GO SOX!