2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)
I am sitting at Sky harbor airport right now. I must say i got to see 2 spring training games during my business trip. I saw the cubs/giants and the Padres/Mariners.

From my experience at ST I have to say that Peoria Sports Complex is one of the best places to watch a ball game. 6 dollars to sit in the lawn seats and the complex is really nice with great food. I would def go back to that place. Mesa I thought was garbage.

Peoria has a nice facility. Its right near a bunch of shopping and places to go. The grass area is nice. I brought my son down there before he turned one, and had him out on the grass while I caught the game. It was a nice time.

Mesa is a pain in butt to deal with. You have a moron wooing, and you have to park on the grass fields. People park like morons there. The Park is okay, but the pitch of the outfield grass area is a bit too steep to setup comfortably.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
I was recently told that David Wells used to tell Jerry Manuel to "get the f*** out of here" when he tried to make pitching changes.

Is that true?

Jerry probably peed on him in the shower.

Updated roster photos have been posted on the official website.

Someone really should have told Floyd to shave his neck beard prior to taking the photo. Or for Thornton to put on some sunscreen.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Ohh no, has the towel drill found it's way to White Sox camp?

Bobby Jenks will work one inning during Monday's "B" game against Colorado, even if he strikes out the side on nine pitches or retires three hitters on three total pitches. Jenks plans to feature all fastballs but also might mix in a slider or two.

The White Sox closer, who left Wednesday's Cactus League game with right shoulder tightness brought about partially by poor mechanics from warming up, explained on Saturday how those mechanics have improved. He has used a form of the towel drill to work on that part of the delivery before he even steps on the mound.

"After the last two days, it's night and day," said Jenks of the improvement in his mechanics. "My body is starting to remember, 'OK, this is how you pitch.' Muscle memory is starting to come back in play. Staying close, not landing on my heel -- doing all the right things."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Well its the normal ST tradition. Some asshat Indian fan starts to chomp about how we suck and all of our players are going to regress, and then the king of asshats Neyer who admitted in a chat last year that he doesnt like the sox because of their uniforms agrees. Upon examination Peter 1948 was a long time ago. I hope the indians fall on their ass again.

Peter (Cleveland): Rob, upon examining the White Sox it seems to me that they're simply not very good. Their offense is bound to regress (especially Dye and Thome, and to some extent Konerko, Pierzynski, and Crede), and this won't be negated by whatever "improvement" they get in LF and CF. Similarly, their "top 4" pitchers PECOTA ERAs are 4.83, 4.96, 4.50, and 4.77 for B, C, V, and G respectively. This team seems more likely to win under 81 games than over 90...

SportsNation Rob Neyer: (12:35 PM ET ) Hard to argue with you, Peter. I like Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen, which I think colors my analysis of the club's future. A fundamental question we might ask is, "Which key member of the roster is likely to play *better* in 2007?" And with the possible exceptions of Buehrle and Uribe, it's hard to come up with names.

Here are a few other nuggets from that chat.

dave, chicago: don't forget the indians have no bullpen. Many of the AL central games come down to the 7th 8th and 9th innings, due to the power in the White Sox, tigers, indians, and twins lineups, and the indians have the worst bullpen out of all them

SportsNation Rob Neyer: (12:32 PM ET ) Dave, I'll bet you shiny nickel that the Indians do *not* finish the season with the worst bullpen among those four clubs. Yes, they were bad last year, but 1) the year before they were excellent, and c) anyway, they revamped the pen this winter. The rotation is the bigger question mark.

And here is the non-whitesox nugget which proves that this year he is in the jock of the injuns.

Brian NY: If you can't answer this question Rob, maybe Peter (Cleveland) can...if there is an expected regression from Mauer and Morneau, shouldn't there also be anexpected regression from Sizemore and Hafner?

SportsNation Rob Neyer: (12:47 PM ET ) Big differences, Brian. Sizemore is still quite young (and not a catcher), and Hafner actually missed last September with an injury. Here's a guarantee (absent serious injury): both Sizemore and Hafner will be viable MVP candidates, and neither Mauer nor Morneau will be.

Mauer and Morneau cannot be an MVP candidate. Sure Rob. Go back to Rany and cry about your pathetic royals.

Edited by southsideirish71

rob neyer and cleveland fans.

thanks for posting that. It is very funny. Someone might have reminded him that the Sox don't need to improve a whole hell of a lot on a 90 win season. Pick up one win more a month and they'll be sitting pretty come October.

but let's not let facts get in the way of spring bliss.

And of course the piss de crapstience.

Adam (Chicago): More wins this year? North Side or South Side of Chicago?

SportsNation Rob Neyer: (1:09 PM ET ) Good question! Cubs will be better than last year, White Sox probably a tad worse. I sure wish they still played a City Series after the season.

The White Sox payroll currently stands at ~$106,100,000 after subtracting the cash from Philadelphia and Arizona it's about $95,767,000.

I don't know the exact numbers because the pre-arb player contracts weren't released and we still don't know exactly who will be on the 25 man roster come Opening Day so the numbers are actually a little higher than this.

Yeah, we lost again today. I guess everyone knew it was inevitable before gametime and just bothered not to create a thread. I listened on the radio, and it just sounded bad. Especially late. Spring Training games for the White Sox these last few seasons haven't been the prettiest of sights.

Lumsden pitched two scoreless innings against us.

-Contreras: 4IP, 5H, 6K's, 1BB, 1WP, 2ER

-Massest: 2IP, 1H, 2K's, 1ER

-Aardsma: 1.2IP, 2H, 1K, 1BB, 2ER

-Oneli Perez: bad. Real bad. You'd think he never retired a single hitter after these last several outings.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
Yeah, we lost again today. I guess everyone knew it was inevitable before gametime and just bothered not to create a thread. I listened on the radio, and it just sounded bad. Especially late. Spring Training games for the White Sox these last few seasons haven't been the prettiest of sights.

Lumsden pitched two scoreless innings against us.

-Contreras: 4IP, 5H, 6K's, 1BB, 1WP, 2ER

-Massest: 2IP, 1H, 2K's, 1ER

-Aardsma: 1.2IP, 2H, 1K, 1BB, 2ER

-Oneli Perez: bad. Real bad. You'd think he never retired a single hitter after these last several outings.

Anderson with a poor 0-4 game today. Aardsma continues to be my leading candidate for player who doesn't deserve to be on the 25 man roster.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
Anderson with a poor 0-4 game today. Aardsma continues to be my leading candidate for most underserving player on the roster.

Cooper should instruct Aardsma to throw nothing but secondary pitches from this point onwards. Screw the fastball -- it'll be there. He needs to have something else, because from the sounds of Farmer and Singleton, he was all fastball for nearly two innings. Again.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
As a fellow human? Yes.

As a Sox fan? No.

Updated for the Vazquez deal:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5161/so...actsheetwf9.jpg

Badass. Okay, I am a moron, so a few questions. I know TO is team option, BO? And what is the service number?

Also, I a friend of mine uses the Google spreadsheet which seems pretty nice since it hosts it online. Just a recc in case if it'd be pain in the ass to do screen captures everytime . Prob can't colorcode it though (well not sure).

EDIT: Nevermind, realized that service is number of years in the majors, duh.

Edited by 3 BeWareTheNewSox 5

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 02:54 AM)
Badass. Okay, I am a moron, so a few questions. I know TO is team option, BO? And what is the service number?

Also, I a friend of mine uses the Google spreadsheet which seems pretty nice since it hosts it online. Just a recc in case if it'd be pain in the ass to do screen captures everytime . Prob can't colorcode it though (well not sure).

EDIT: Nevermind, realized that service is number of years in the majors, duh.

BO is a buyout.

So at the ST game Monday, we saw something you don't see every day. The people sitting in front of us were Amish. Yes, Amish (no, I don't know how they go to the game). One of them said he made a New Year's resolution to "have more fun". So that was pretty weird.

But here was the interesting part for Sox fans. Apparently, they are all huge Jim Thome fans. Why, you might ask? Apparently, these Amish folk were from Ohio, outside Cleveland. When Jim had a new house built on the family land in Illinois, he hired a bunch of these people to build it for him. They couldn't stop raving about how nice Jim and his whole family were, and how they are really great people, treated them really nicely, etc.

Which just further confirms what we all knew to be true. The Amish love Jim Thome.

:D

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
Please tell me he's never met the Vice President...

No he hasn't but the VP uses the Amish as they are cheap labor. Frank Thomas used cheap labor and was torched, Thome uses it and follow him around like groupies.......check that maybe the Ligue's helped in the construction of the Thomas Estates of Burr Ridge.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
So at the ST game Monday, we saw something you don't see every day. The people sitting in front of us were Amish. Yes, Amish (no, I don't know how they go to the game). One of them said he made a New Year's resolution to "have more fun". So that was pretty weird.

But here was the interesting part for Sox fans. Apparently, they are all huge Jim Thome fans. Why, you might ask? Apparently, these Amish folk were from Ohio, outside Cleveland. When Jim had a new house built on the family land in Illinois, he hired a bunch of these people to build it for him. They couldn't stop raving about how nice Jim and his whole family were, and how they are really great people, treated them really nicely, etc.

Which just further confirms what we all knew to be true. The Amish love Jim Thome.

:D

Smart man, that Thome character. I don't even have to know the exact figures to conclusively state hiring the Amish likely costs less money, and ultimately less time, to complete a house.