Oh Imus...

Jenksismyhero

51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reaction to "Imus Gate?"

• Reactons have been spot on
    • Eh, a slight overreaction by the media/sponsors/etc
    • Are you serious? All this for a comment?
    • Undecided

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
This is the joke that is MSNBC: They hired the guy precisely because of the shocking things he says. Ten million people this week thought to themselves "Imus who? Hmm, I should check that out." He has said far worse in the past and MSNBC loved it. How can you buy that this was a business decision? WHO WOULD STOP LISTENING BECAUSE HE SAID THESE COMMENTS? 10 people? 20 people? Give me a break.

And that's the point. The reaction to this story is completely ridiculous. The media has taken it over. And why? Two words: White guilt. White people for some reason have to WANT to feel like this is the worst crime in the history of man. White people WANT to act (pull out their sponsorships, fire employees [http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_101163705.html], call for his firing, etc) this way because it makes them feel good, like they're somehow helping the cause. People jump on this bandwagon of slamming Imus because it makes them look good (

Which begs the question, do people even care? Do normal, everyday people care what he says? Or does the media 'create' these situations to get people interesting, to get people attracted to stories about it? If you polled the black community, how many would be hurt by these comments? How many people would sincerely care what the hell this Imus guy said? I bet less than 10%. Yet this is all we hear about. Morons like Jackson and Sharpton continue to stir the pot and impede any sort of progress we've made towards racial equality and acceptance. But to me the bigger morons are the white people who feel obligated to make something like this a story.

No one said that a ton of people would stop listening. Some might stop, others might start. But if you actually read the article I linked, and look at the reasons I cited, its pretty darn clear that yes, it was a business decision, and probably the right one.

That said, I agree with many of your points - there is a guilt factor there for many people, most people don't care what Imus says (myself included, other than this discussion), MSNBC probably wanted the shock value, and JackSharp are stirring the pot. But that doesn't change the reality of the situation MSNBC is in. IT makes perfect sense as a business for them to fire Imus at this point, and they did.

One thing I'll disagree with here, though, I'd be a lot more than 10% of blacks would care about what he said. You can argue whether or not its justified, but that number would be much higher.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

double standard blah f'n blah

BOO HOo i'm white and i can't say nappy headed hos. My life sucks. America sucks! All i want to do is say nappy headed hos but I can't because I'm white! DARNIT!

Listeners only drive the price that advertisers are being charged. It's the advertisers that drive the decision, not the audience.

This area is over 90% DEM, yet there are no liberal talk shows, only the GOP Radio network. The audience share is decent, but what sold the two stations on caring Rush and Co, was the list of advertisers willing to go into any market and make it a viable business venture, regardless of ratings. To me it's a great way to contribute to a political campaign without contributing to a political campaign.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
I think it's hypocritical.

Imus has been doing the African American athletes are monkeys shtick for years. What changed in the last week?

If so, that’s appalling. The fact that he’s been doing for years doesn’t make it any more acceptable.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:37 AM)
I didn't find anything wrong with what he said..

:huh:

QUOTE(Shadows @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:43 AM)
With all the complaining the Rutgers coach did about the remarks being racist and degrading women blah blah maybe they haven't tuned into some of the rap/hip hop songs that have been played on the radio for decades.. The same stuff that Imus said has been said for years and years and this is like the first time I have seen it blown up like this..

Still doesn’t make it right.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
I still don't understand how this is "racist".

:unsure:

Racist and sexist, but racist nonetheless.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
Race issues are every so much fun, they really bring out the hypocracy of the race card in America.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 03:35 AM)
This is just further proof of the double standard that exists in America. Blacks and Hispanics can say whatever they want to whenever they want to but if a white person says someting like that he's this evil person that deserves to have his career ruined. Typical political correctness bulls*** is what this is.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
double standard blah f'n blah

BOO HOo i'm white and i can't say nappy headed hos. My life sucks. America sucks! All i want to do is say nappy headed hos but I can't because I'm white! DARNIT!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The “reverse-racism/reverse discrimination” argument is one of the best…

I don't care about Imus one way or the other, but watching the coach on TV, these lines from above came to mind immediatly, along with the word 'overacting'.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 05:56 AM)
Race issues are every so much fun, they really bring out the hypocracy of the race card in America.

Think about this for a second, the two people who are most publically leading the charge against Imus, are two notorious racists themselves. Jackson and Sharpton both are on record as having said racist statements against Jews, but look at what they do now... They both lead religious and race-based organizations. Why aren't they willing to resign their positions to show how much they believe that racism is always wrong? Why isn't anyone really calling for them to do exactly what they are asking of Imus?

The sad thing is, you're 100% right here, and this is a major part of the problem.

I may regret writing this one because of the sensitivity of the issues involved, but here goes. Mr. Sharpton and Mr. Jackson are precisely the sort of leaders who make things like this worse, and I'll tell you why. It's not because they're sensationalist, it's not because they overreact, it's not because they're corrupt, its because they have simply no credibility left on these sorts of things.

Mr. Jackson and Mr. Sharpton have been relatively poor leaders when compared with the other African American leaders of the past half century. One of the things that, IMO, helped make sure the civil rights movement took hold in this country was the fact that some of the people taking the big steps to lead it, like Jackie Robinson, Rosa Parks, etc., were upstanding human beings, regardless of their race. It's pretty darn difficult today to look at Jackie Robinson and find him to be a bad person.

On the other hand, when someone like Imus does this sort of thing, makes himself look like an idiot and a racist, all he has to do is wait until Mr. Jackson or Mr. Sharpton get involved, and then fire back with the exact thing he's doing this morning: "IMUS: 'WHEN WILL SHARPTON APOLOGIZE TO DUKE PLAYERS?'". There just isn't enough credibility in these guys as leaders of their community to allow for positive things to come out of someone stupid saying something stupid (s^5).

Every time that someone like Imus, Limbaugh, etc., says something that gets them kicked off of some channel, it should be an opportunity to actually take steps to improve the discourse in this country. We'd be better off, far better off, without these sorts of people making these sorts of statements, but because the people who will lead the charge against the remarks simply don't have the credibility to do it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
Explain how it is invalid or wrong.

Well, regardless of the supposed "double standards," the comments were still racist, sexist, and offensive. No matter how many rappers or comedians people will claim say it (yet I've never, ever heard a rapper refer to black people as "monkeys"), what he said and has said still is wrong. It's still not an excuse.

But in this situation, I find the "reverse discrimination" and "double standards" arguments laughable because it isn't until an old white guy is vilified for his comments that there's a sudden outcry about rap lyric content. All of a sudden, there's a rush to find valid reasoning as to why it's OK for him to say those types of things. It was a direct attack on the girls on the rutgers team, regardless of what music they listen to or what comedians say. Why try to make excuses when it was just plain wrong?

And "reverse discrimination" is the best because white people largely benefit from double standards enough as it is. Is it really necessary to also make it completely socially acceptable for white people to tell black jokes now?

QUOTE(Top Notch @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
Was Imus wrong to say that on public radio? Yes.

Are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton two of the biggest racists on this planet? Yes.

Screw them all.

Now, that I can basically agree with.

How quickly and coveniently you guys choose to forget Minister Louis Farahkan.

So um no, black people cannot say whatever they want and get away with it. Sure Farahkan has never apologized and his number of followers has not decreased, but by no means has he gotten a free pass from the media.

I don't see the comments Imus made as racist, the 'ho' part is what was waaaaaay out of line. Calling a woman you don't know anything about a whore is about the lowest, easiest thing you can do.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
And that's what Southsider was saying. So your point is, again?

Well, I never said "reverse discrimination" was wrong or invalid, just that I do not agree with it much and think it's the best, which is why his request to explain why it is wrong or invalid confused me, so I stated my point.

Now you want me to re-state it? Which part gave you trouble?

QUOTE(Top Notch @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
Was Imus wrong to say that on public radio? Yes.

Are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton two of the biggest racists on this planet? Yes.

Screw them all.

Wow...only 6 posts from you, and you come up with one of the greatest things said yet on this whole topic! I think I love you.

i think imus saying what he said about the duke case is entirely valid and I'm actually looking forward to the response. In general, scholarship lax players on the east coast haven't come off as the most down to earth guys, but these kids were dragged through hell and back. They deserve a gigantic apology.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
i think imus saying what he said about the duke case is entirely valid and I'm actually looking forward to the response. In general, scholarship lax players on the east coast haven't come off as the most down to earth guys, but these kids were dragged through hell and back. They deserve a gigantic apology.

what did he say?

They do deserve an apology. They will also be successful in a settlement that will line their pockets. Fines are the main way we keep score in America.

I also hope that other kids realize that these kids put themselves into a position where they could be accused and many people would not believe them. Hiring strippers isn't exactly an activity that will endear them to most of America. Put yourself into a bad situation and bad things can happen.

There are a lot of lessons here.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
Well, I never said "reverse discrimination" was wrong or invalid, just that I do not agree with it much and think it's the best, which is why his request to explain why it is wrong or invalid confused me, so I stated my point.

Now you want me to re-state it? Which part gave you trouble?

No, trouble... I misread. My fault.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
Well, regardless of the supposed "double standards," the comments were still racist, sexist, and offensive. No matter how many rappers or comedians people will claim say it (yet I've never, ever heard a rapper refer to black people as "monkeys"), what he said and has said still is wrong. It's still not an excuse.

But in this situation, I find the "reverse discrimination" and "double standards" arguments laughable because it isn't until an old white guy is vilified for his comments that there's a sudden outcry about rap lyric content. All of a sudden, there's a rush to find valid reasoning as to why it's OK for him to say those types of things. It was a direct attack on the girls on the rutgers team, regardless of what music they listen to or what comedians say. Why try to make excuses when it was just plain wrong?

And "reverse discrimination" is the best because white people largely benefit from double standards enough as it is. Is it really necessary to also make it completely socially acceptable for white people to tell black jokes now?

Now, that I can basically agree with.

So now you need to cry about racism every single day for your point to be valid on reverse racism or double standards? That doesn't really make much sense.

What Imus said was stupid, and I'm sure not argueing its not. But it totally invalidates a movement when the leaders of it are hypocrites. If you want to convince me that Jesse and Al really want to improve race relations, I just once want to see them reach accross the aisle when someone screws up and do what Jesus would have done. Forgive, aid, and educate. Funny I don't remember Jesus calling for Pontius Pilate to be fired, for condeming him to death. I don't remember Jesus turning out the prosititue for her actions... I think that race relations would go a lot further in this country if the effort was towards mending fences instead of finding who to blame for the broken fences.

Do you really think the discriminating against white people is going to make things better? All you do then is breed contempt and hate again. Everytime you draw a line between you and me, you just make it easier to reenforce the racism that exsists in this country, even if it is for a seemingly good purpose.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
Do you really think the discriminating against white people is going to make things better? All you do then is breed contempt and hate again. Everytime you draw a line between you and me, you just make it easier to reenforce the racism that exsists in this country, even if it is for a seemingly good purpose.

What discrimination against white people would that be?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
So now you need to cry about racism every single day for your point to be valid on reverse racism or double standards? That doesn't really make much sense.

What Imus said was stupid, and I'm sure not argueing its not. But it totally invalidates a movement when the leaders of it are hypocrites. If you want to convince me that Jesse and Al really want to improve race relations, I just once want to see them reach accross the aisle when someone screws up and do what Jesus would have done. Forgive, aid, and educate. Funny I don't remember Jesus calling for Pontius Pilate to be fired, for condeming him to death. I don't remember Jesus turning out the prosititue for her actions... I think that race relations would go a lot further in this country if the effort was towards mending fences instead of finding who to blame for the broken fences.

:cheers