Eureka! He has seen the LIGHT!

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
I don't know that Erstad has shown the ability to do any of those things all that well either at this point, save bunting. I think we can expect both to be hitting around .250-.265 by the end of the year. Anderson has some power. Erstad has none. Both play good D, however, Anderson's is still superior.

But yeah, you're right. Under this manager, BA belongs in AAA. Under a competent manager, he's the starting CFer out of Spring Training.

under ANY manager he belongs in AAA. Erstad has shown the ability to bunt, you have to give him that. His leadership may also be a benefit. I wouldnt pay too much attention to batting stats at this moment, as the whole team cant do anything at the plate. You need to wait a least a month to make any offensive judgement on Erstad.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
under ANY manager he belongs in AAA. Erstad has shown the ability to bunt, you have to give him that. His leadership may also be a benefit. I wouldnt pay too much attention to batting stats at this moment, as the whole team cant do anything at the plate. You need to wait a least a month to make any offensive judgement on Erstad.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
Yeah, cause ozzie is the devil, blah blah blah.

Is it really that outlandish to believe there's a single manager in baseball right now who would start the 25 year old over the 33 year old? I don't think any of this has to do with anyone being the devil.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)

I did give him credit for that. Hence, the statement "save bunting." And I would pay attention to his batting stats, since he's doing what he's done the last 5 years. We know what we're getting out of Erstad. This is it. Granted, his average will be up a little bit, but he is not a good hitter. He is, in fact, a terrible hitter at this point in his career.

And your first statement is just incorrect. Once you recognize the fact that Erstad is terrible and that he will be no where near his 2000 numbers, you will see why it is incorrect. Not every manager values useless veterans over promising younger players.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
Is it really that outlandish to believe there's a single manager in baseball right now who would start the 25 year old over the 32 year old? I don't think any of this has to do with anyone being the devil.

There probably is a single manager. Probably one that is either influenced by the GM (if Erstad wasnt an FA pickup) or has a younger, rebuilding team. I dont see the benefit of putting BA in over Erstad right now. The only real upside is that some of us like to watch prospects develop at the MLB level, which alot of people want to see.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
There probably is a single manager. Probably one that is either influenced by the GM (if Erstad wasnt an FA pickup) or has a younger, rebuilding team. I dont see the benefit of putting BA in over Erstad right now. The only real upside is that some of us like to watch prospects develop at the MLB level, which alot of people want to see.

Or the upside is that he'll out produce Erstad since Darin is probably going to have a slugging percentage about 30 points higher than his batting average this year and an OBP right around .300, I'm still waiting for him to show any sort of promise in either of those 2 categories but I really don't see it happening.

You have a 33 year old who's coming off a couple ankle surgeries, picks up no extra basehits, isn't a high on base percentage guy, gets good reads in CF but has below average closing speed and you have a 25 year old with incredibly similar tools expect he's 8 years younger and actually has some power potential. If the 2 players are this similar to eachother I'm going with the one who could be a player for me in the near to distant future. Erstad appears to be an 8/9 hole hitter and a couple of singles and the occasional bunt aren't going to make me think otherwise.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Is it really that outlandish to believe there's a single manager in baseball right now who would start the 25 year old over the 33 year old? I don't think any of this has to do with anyone being the devil.

I'd be willing to be there's more than one. Their production would be about similar right now, with Anderson having the much higher ceiling for this, and many more years to follow.

Anderson plays a better defense (despite Erstad's god-like, unparalleled reads :P ), has a better arm, has more power, and is cheaper. Erstad can steal better and is unquestionably the guy I want up there if we need a ball to not leave the infield and preferably to the second baseman.

Oh, and injuries. Let's not forget those.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
I'd be willing to be there's more than one. Their production would be about similar right now, with Anderson having the much higher ceiling for this, and many more years to follow.

Anderson plays a better defense (despite Erstad's god-like, unparalleled reads :P ), has a better arm, has more power, and is cheaper. Erstad can steal better and is unquestionably the guy I want up there if we need a ball to not leave the infield and preferably to the second baseman.

Oh, and injuries. Let's not forget those.

If you need a 4-3 putout, you know who you're going to.

I have been saying this all along especially about Iguchi. When Iguchi is "forced" to hit situationally and "forced" to hit the ball to the right side he is at his best. He handles the bat much better and its obvious he doesn't try and take on the role of the pull hitting power righty, which hes not in this league. Iguchi in the 2 hole lets the ball get back on him, sees more pitches, tries to go right field, etc. With OG saying he wanted Iguchi placed down in the order in order to drive in more runs Iguchi doesn't look anything like that same patient and precise hitter we saw in the 2 hole. Well becuase of that we have seen Iguchi become a bail out (front foot) and try and pull everything hitter looking for the big shot ever AB. I cant wait to see iguchi in the 2 hole again. Erstad can figure out whatever he needs to figure out hitting 7th or 8th.

Also I would love love to see Ozzie actually take into account the fact that stacking lefties one right after the other isn't the best lineup. Its not even about the matchups, going Pods, Erstad, Thome kills us late in the ballgame when the manager bring in his LOOGY; Fultz, Reyes, whoever. Also pitchers say u do them a favor when u stack lefties instead of rotate righty-lefty cuz it allows them to key in on one side of the plate and get a rhythm goin against those hitters. Going Righty-lefty roto forces the pitcher to have to work both sides of the plate differently in each at bat and doesn't allow him just to paint one side for the 3 quick outs. Im in favor of the change.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(joeynach @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
I have been saying this all along especially about Iguchi. When Iguchi is "forced" to hit situationally and "forced" to hit the ball to the right side he is at his best. He handles the bat much better and its obvious he doesn't try and take on the role of the pull hitting power righty, which hes not in this league. Iguchi in the 2 hole lets the ball get back on him, sees more pitches, tries to go right field, etc. With OG saying he wanted Iguchi placed down in the order in order to drive in more runs Iguchi doesn't look anything like that same patient and precise hitter we saw in the 2 hole. Well becuase of that we have seen Iguchi become a bail out (front foot) and try and pull everything hitter looking for the big shot ever AB. I cant wait to see iguchi in the 2 hole again. Erstad can figure out whatever he needs to figure out hitting 7th or 8th.

Also I would love love to see Ozzie actually take into account the fact that stacking lefties on right after the other isn't the best lineup. Its not even about the matchups, going Pods, Erstad, Thome kills us late in the ballgame when the manager bring in his LOOGY; Fultz, Reyes, whoever. Also pitchers say u do them a favor when u stack lefties instead of rotate righty-lefty cuz it allows them to key in on one side of the plate and get a rhythm goin against those hitters. Going Righty-lefty roto forces the pitcher to have to work both sides of the plate differently in each at bat and doesn't allow him just to paint one side for the 3 quick outs. Im in favor of the change.

bingo

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
Great manager who is known to make brilliant decisions sometimes? Yes

Rock, do we really have to play this game anymore? How many times are we going to keep having to defend Guillen?

Boy, someone reads a Baseball Prospectus from cover to cover and suddenly, everyone's an expert.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
They both cant hit, and they both can field.

No -- Anderson has shown he can't hit in 400 sporadic, platooned at-bats.

We are not looking at 'equals' here. One is a guy in his mid-20s who has shown as early as two years ago that he could, in fact, hit reasonably well. On the other hand, Erstad is on the wrong side of 30 and hasn't hit well since six years ago.

under ANY manager he belongs in AAA.

What left does Brian have to prove at AAA? The only reason he should be at AAA is to get consistent ABs. He has nothing left to prove there. He hit .300 for a year there. What's it going to do for him to go down there again and hit .300? Not a lot...

His leadership may also be a benefit.

He can leadership all he wants on the bench. He can put on his pom-poms and do whatever the hell that makes managers go gah-gah over him from the bench.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
Also I would love love to see Ozzie actually take into account the fact that stacking lefties on right after the other isn't the best lineup. Its not even about the matchups, going Pods, Erstad, Thome kills us late in the ballgame when the manager bring in his LOOGY; Fultz, Reyes, whoever. Also pitchers say u do them a favor when u stack lefties instead of rotate righty-lefty cuz it allows them to key in on one side of the plate and get a rhythm goin against those hitters. Going Righty-lefty roto forces the pitcher to have to work both sides of the plate differently in each at bat and doesn't allow him just to paint one side for the 3 quick outs. Im in favor of the change.

See...everybody else gets it. Great point on Gooch too. Someone tell me this too....if Gooch goes something like 2-20...Ozzie has no problems pulling his ass from the lineup. But Erstad does it...he remains in the lineup. Why?!?

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
See...everybody else gets it. Great point on Gooch too. Someone tell me this too....if Gooch goes something like 2-20...Ozzie has no problems pulling his ass from the lineup. But Erstad does it...he remains in the lineup. Why?!?

Co-sign to all of this. Great analysis from Joey. We've tried twice now in the last two years to move Tada down in the order. On the surface, it seems like it would work, but it doesn't. He's proven that he's just better up in the order in that two hole. Move him up there, and keep Erstad down in the order and for the love of god play BA against the lefties. That's all I'd ask - give us at least a platoon situation.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
Anything to shake up this offense is worth a shot. We know Iguchi can produce in the 2 hole. We have yet to see what GrindErstad can do down in the lineup, hopefully lower than 6th.

The lower the better. Get him the least number of ABs over the course of a season possible.

QUOTE(bardsroom attendant @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
Co-sign to all of this. Great analysis from Joey. We've tried twice now in the last two years to move Tada down in the order. On the surface, it seems like it would work, but it doesn't. He's proven that he's just better up in the order in that two hole. Move him up there, and keep Erstad down in the order and for the love of god play BA against the lefties. That's all I'd ask - give us at least a platoon situation.

Tada was awful in the 7th spot last year in ST, he was awful there this year in ST, and he has been awful there so far this year. I dont know what else Ozzie needs to see, Iguchi has shown Ozzie just how uncomfortable he is down there. Its not even that the announcers say it too, Iguchi just looks like a bad hitter with bad tendencies hitting lower in the order like that. DJ was saying yesterday how when Tada is letting the ball get deep on him on driving it hard to Right field we know Iguchi is locked in, and now now hes kinda of going out to get the ball and trying to pull everything hard to left. Not good approaches at the plate. Thats why I say Iguchi hitting in the 2 hole "forces" him to be that better hitter he can be; seeing more pitches, letting the ball get deeper on him, trying to hit behind the runner, etc. Its just about time Ozzie noticed this trend for himself.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(joeynach @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
Tada was awful in the 7th spot last year in ST, he was awful there this year in ST, and he has been awful there so far this year. I dont know what else Ozzie needs to see, Iguchi has shown Ozzie just how uncomfortable he is down there. Its not even that the announcers say it too, Iguchi just looks like a bad hitter with bad tendencies hitting lower in the order like that. DJ was saying yesterday how when Tada is letting the ball get deep on him on driving it hard to Right field we know Iguchi is locked in, and now now hes kinda of going out to get the ball and trying to pull everything hard to left. Not good approaches at the plate. Thats why I say Iguchi hitting in the 2 hole "forces" him to be that better hitter he can be; seeing more pitches, letting the ball get deeper on him, trying to hit behind the runner, etc. Its just about time Ozzie noticed this trend for himself.

How dare you question Ozzie. We won a World Series with him as our manager. How many World Series has joeynach won for us?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
How dare you question Ozzie. We won a World Series with him as our manager. How many World Series has joeynach won for us?

I won like 6 straight world series............on xbox.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(joeynach @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)

So true. I think his boss has "noticed" it for Ozzie. Hopefully we see the change tomorrow night.