DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
Anyone that has been reading for more than a month should know that neither Kap or I are racist. It is a damn shame when someone can point to something like this, comment in it, and then be called a racist.

I think it is HIGHLY unfortunate that the deep south is still so racist. It's staggering the Black/White divide in the south. I am glad to see Obama win these mostly white states, but it kinda hurts to see him win these southern states with such a divide. Just goes to show that after nearly 143 years, there is still such rampid if not secret racism.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
:lolhitting no, those poll numbers are for his health care plan. Kap posted in the past day or two that Hispanics are still supporting Clinton in a big way in Texas, and I posted that Obama won areas with sizable Black populations. Anyone that has been reading for more than a month should know that neither Kap or I are racist. It is a damn shame when someone can point to something like this, comment in it, and then be called a racist.

And the obvious retort is that Clinton is doing really well with women, so that cuts both ways. And there are a lot of white males voting for McCain. Duh

The majority of people are most comfortable with people who look, talk, and act like they do. That is a huge edge in any popularity contest. And people are not studying the issues and carefully coming to a conclusion.

The problem is that Ferraro seemed to say that Obama is where he is because he's black. I would say he's doing so well because he's a great candidate, and I don't know how Obama being black helped him win in Iowa, or Idaho, etc.

I think Clinton's quip that her and McCain are more experienced than Obama is coming back to bite her a bit too. Pelosi laid a nice smackdown today.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
The problem is that Ferraro seemed to say that Obama is where he is because he's black. I would say he's doing so well because he's a great candidate, and I don't know how Obama being black helped him win in Iowa, or Idaho, etc.

"If Jesse Jackson were not black, he wouldn't be in the race"

Ferraro, 1988.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
I think it is HIGHLY unfortunate that the deep south is still so racist. It's staggering the Black/White divide in the south. I am glad to see Obama win these mostly white states, but it kinda hurts to see him win these southern states with such a divide. Just goes to show that after nearly 143 years, there is still such rampid if not secret racism.

Yeah, McCain might not even have to campaign in the south to win those states when you consider the fear that even white democrats down there seem to have of Obama, and that's sad, even as a guy that is going to vote for McCain. But when you keep in mind that schools weren't fully integrated until less than 40 years ago there, it's not surprising, that isn't THAT long of a time.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Interesting article about Richardson, who comes this/close to endorsing Obama. Includes a sort of amusing story about an early debate.

After reading the article, I'm reminded of one of the reasons why I liked Richardson - he's just a straight-forward guy. Its also a nice tidbit about Obama though.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/11/mis...mary/index.html

this is the latest count, according to CNN. Interesting that Obama ended up getting more of the delegates in TX with the caucus being finalized. His number is starting to get high enough where even if Clinton dominates in PA she will basically only be tied with him. Is PA a proportion state or winner take all?

What do all of you think would happen if it's neck and neck, or Obama has a slight lead heading into the convention and the superdelegates give it to Clinton? Do you see protests or worse?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
Interesting article about Richardson, who comes this/close to endorsing Obama. Includes a sort of amusing story about an early debate.

After reading the article, I'm reminded of one of the reasons why I liked Richardson - he's just a straight-forward guy. Its also a nice tidbit about Obama though.

I am all for a Obama/Richardson Ticket. I think Richardson would make a nice follow up to Obama when his 8 years is over. People have said that if Obama is elected he might lose the Latino vote to either McCain or they simply wont vote. Richardson pulls them onto the ticket.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/11/mis...mary/index.html

this is the latest count, according to CNN. Interesting that Obama ended up getting more of the delegates in TX with the caucus being finalized. His number is starting to get high enough where even if Clinton dominates in PA she will basically only be tied with him. Is PA a proportion state or winner take all?

What do all of you think would happen if it's neck and neck, or Obama has a slight lead heading into the convention and the superdelegates give it to Clinton? Do you see protests or worse?

Based on a mix of MSNBC and CNN delegate counts, Obama has roughly 1400 to Hillary 1243.5. So, that is a difference of 156.5 with 9 delegates in CO yet to be assigned and that was an Obama blowout.

If Hillary wins 65% of the remaining PLEDGED delegates, she pulls to within .5 delegates. That's not 65% of the vote, it's 65% of the DELEGATES. THat's darn near impossible.

If she "only" wins Penn by 10% of the delegates (83-68, aka net 15), she needs to win 73-75% of the remaining delegates to win.

It just wont happen. She needs to back out now and let the party heal for a strong run in November.

Ferraro: "They're attacking me because I'm white"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/11/fer...ents/index.html

(CNN) -- Geraldine Ferraro defended her controversial comment that Sen. Barack Obama's campaign was successful because he was black, telling an interviewer Tuesday that she was being attacked because she was white.

art.ferraro.file.gi.jpg

Comments by former Rep. Geraldine Ferraro are drawing criticism from the Obama campaign.

"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says, 'Let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world,' you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up," she told the Daily Breeze of Torrance, California. "Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

In another interview Tuesday, she compared Obama's situation to her own 24 years ago, when she was the first female candidate for vice president.

She told a FOX News interviewer, "I got up and the question was asked, 'Why do you think Barack Obama is in the place he is today" as the party's delegate front-runner?

"I said in large measure, because he is black. I said, Let me also say in 1984 -- and if I have said it once, I have said it 20, 60, 100 times -- in 1984, if my name was Gerard Ferraro instead of Geraldine Ferraro, I would never have been the nominee for vice president," she said.

In her first interview with Daily Breeze, published late last week, Ferraro said, "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

She also said Hillary Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama himself has called the comments "patently absurd."

"I don't think Geraldine Ferraro's comments have any place in our politics or in the Democratic Party. They are divisive," he told the Allentown Morning News.

"I think anybody who understands the history of this country knows they are patently absurd. And I would expect that the same way those comments don't have a place in my campaign, they shouldn't have a place in Sen. Clinton's, either," he added.

Earlier, Obama's top strategist, David Axelrod, called for Clinton to sever ties with the former New York congresswoman, who serves on her campaign's finance committee.

"When you wink and nod at offensive statements, you're really sending a signal to your supporters that anything goes," Axelrod said.

Axelrod said the comment by Ferraro, coupled with Clinton's "own inexplicable unwillingness" to deny that Obama was a Muslim during a recent interview, was part of "an insidious pattern that needs to be addressed."

Ferraro could not be reached for comment.

Clinton told The Associated Press that she did not agree with Ferraro's comments.

"It is regrettable that any of our supporters on both sides, because we've both had that experience, say things that kind of veer off into the personal," she said. "We ought to keep this on the issues. There are differences between us. There are differences between our approaches on health care, on energy, on our experience, on our results that we've produced for people. That's what this campaign should be about."

The former congresswoman is the latest Clinton surrogate to launch a firestorm with comments that related to Obama's heritage or ethnicity.

Clinton's husband, former President Clinton, drew sharp criticism from black leaders for a series of comments he made before the South Carolina primary, including comparing Obama's campaign to the Rev. Jesse Jackson's 1984 run.

Former Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey, a major Clinton backer, said several times that an Obama presidency would improve the world's image of the U.S. because of the Illinois senator's Muslim roots.

Obama, however, said Kerrey's comments were intended to highlight Obama's Muslim heritage in voters' minds.

And shortly before the Texas primary, 84-year-old Clinton supporter Adelfa Callejo told CBS 11 News in Dallas, Texas, that Obama would have trouble attracting Latino support because he was African-American.

"When blacks had the numbers, they didn't do anything to support us," Callejo said. "They always used our numbers to fulfill their goals and objectives, but they never really supported us, and there's a lot of hard feelings about that. I don't think we're going to get over it anytime soon."

Last month, when Hillary Clinton was asked whether she would reject and denounce Callejo's remarks, she said, "People get to express their opinions," adding that "a lot of folks have said really unpleasant things about me over the course of this campaign."

Later, her campaign released a statement saying that she had been unaware of the substance of the remarks during that interview and both denounced and rejected them.

Obama has faced his own headaches. Foreign policy adviser Samantha Power ended her connection with his campaign last week after telling a Scottish interviewer that Clinton was a "monster."

Power also made remarks about Obama's Iraq war policy that were used by the Clinton campaign in recent attacks

Barack Hussein Obama is so fortunate, so lucky to be a young, half-black man who went to a Muslim school in Indonesia, has a middle name that's the same as a dictator we recently took down, and has a last name that's one letter off from America's #1 enemy. That's the type of person America loves. No wonder its been easy for him!

There seems to be more and more racism coming from Clinton's camp. It started with Billy boy in South Carolina, then her latino supporters in Texas, and now this.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
Based on a mix of MSNBC and CNN delegate counts, Obama has roughly 1400 to Hillary 1243.5. So, that is a difference of 156.5 with 9 delegates in CO yet to be assigned and that was an Obama blowout.

If Hillary wins 65% of the remaining PLEDGED delegates, she pulls to within .5 delegates. That's not 65% of the vote, it's 65% of the DELEGATES. THat's darn near impossible.

If she "only" wins Penn by 10% of the delegates (83-68, aka net 15), she needs to win 73-75% of the remaining delegates to win.

It just wont happen. She needs to back out now and let the party heal for a strong run in November.

SHE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE PARTY.

She can now set he sites on Govenor of NY.

I don't know if Ferraro is racist, but if she really believes what she's saying and doesn't have some angle in all this, she's just dumb.

As for whether Clinton should back out. I assume she's hoping she wins Pennsylvania and then a couple more states creating momentum, and then she gets a shot at Florida and Michigan again, and then pledged delegates aren't so pledged anymore, and then the superdelegates will have her back...

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
Ferraro: "They're attacking me because I'm white"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/11/fer...ents/index.html

Barack Hussein Obama is so fortunate, so lucky to be a young, half-black man who went to a Muslim school in Indonesia, has a middle name that's the same as a dictator we recently took down, and has a last name that's one letter off from America's #1 enemy. That's the type of person America loves. No wonder its been easy for him!

There seems to be more and more racism coming from Clinton's camp. It started with Billy boy in South Carolina, then her latino supporters in Texas, and now this.

He also has Louie Farrahkan throwing in for him, and you know that's like gold for a candidate trying to be elected to office by mainstream America. Some guys get all the breaks.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
would that REALLY surprise you? ;)

It definitely would not. Hillary is well on her way to being an honorary member of the GOP. :lol:

But what she REALLY needs to do is drag out this primary and steal the nomination at convention :pray

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
It definitely would not. Hillary is well on her way to being an honorary member of the GOP. :lol:

But what she REALLY needs to do is drag out this primary and steal the nomination at convention :pray

MSM is picking up on the "Limbaugh swing"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-k-wilso...ef_b_91112.html

Hillary Clinton suffered a huge defeat last night in Mississippi, and now faces an insurmountable pledged delegate lead by Barack Obama. But what most pundits missed was the fact that Obama's victory would have been even more overwhelming in Mississippi (and he might have won the popular vote in Texas) if not for the "Limbaugh effect": Republicans voting in the Democratic primary in order to undermine Barack Obama and help John McCain.