Guillen leans toward demoting Sweeney

Controlled Chaos

I actually agree with Ozzie that Sweeney could use one more season in AAA in order to gain some strength. However, he's still a better option in LF than Mackowiak/Ozuna. It doesn't matter what we say though....once Pods is back, it's his job.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think that Ozzie needs to realize that what worked in 2005, isn't going to work forever. Players change, get older, some get better, some get worse.

I figured that when Sweeney got called up, he'd just be another BA, and he'd be hitting .200 and we'd say "Well, he's young, and this is his first time up" Instead, he's looking like he good be a VERY productive member of this team for the rest of the season. Last night was the first time I actually got to see him play, and he looked terrific at the plate.

QUOTE(premo @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
I just think that Ozzie needs to realize that what worked in 2005, isn't going to work forever. Players change, get older, some get better, some get worse.

I figured that when Sweeney got called up, he'd just be another BA, and he'd be hitting .200 and we'd say "Well, he's young, and this is his first time up" Instead, he's looking like he good be a VERY productive member of this team for the rest of the season. Last night was the first time I actually got to see him play, and he looked terrific at the plate.

He's got a higher batting average than everyone but Thome and Erstad.

Whether or not it is the right situation for the MLB team this year, at least Ozzie is correct on one thing: Anderson and Sweeney need to be playing every single day right now, because the odds are we're going to wind up needing both of them in the OF next season.

Good to hear some positive words about BA as well.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
I actually agree with Ozzie that Sweeney could use one more season in AAA in order to gain some strength. However, he's still a better option in LF than Mackowiak/Ozuna. It doesn't matter what we say though....once Pods is back, it's his job.

I think Ryan will develop power eventually, but I still think he looks like a #2 hitter to me. High OBP, tons of contact, sees alot of pitches, good speed. He kinda reminds me of Jeter putting fastballs oppo and pulls breaking balls.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
I think Ryan will develop power eventually, but I still think he looks like a #2 hitter to me. High OBP, tons of contact, sees alot of pitches, good speed. He kinda reminds me of Jeter putting fastballs oppo and pulls breaking balls.

Yeah, he's never going to be a 20 homer guy. However, he still breaks a ton of bats right now, and he doesn't really have gap power. As we've mentioned, when he hits the ball real well to the opposite field, it's just a warning track fly out. I think he'll be a very good #2 hitter though, especially if he learns to clear his hips. He's already our best hitter at taking tough pitches and letting them go for balls. I wouldn't even mind if he struck out more on 3-2 pitches if that meant he turned on more pitches (of course, this is stuff he'll improve on as he goes along).

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)
Ugh, this is one of those situations where KW needs to step in and make sure Sweeney doesn't see AAA for the rest of the season.

I was just gonna say this Kalapse. Problem being then Ozzie gets all ass-hurt and tries to puff his nuts out and wouldn't ever play Sweeney.... JUST BECAUSE. "Eez my baw club...". You're right though...bottom line is it should be Kenny's decision.

Some of you guys talking about Sweeney being a No. 2 hitter and that he'll never be a 20 home-run guy are nuts. He's a good hitter who'll become more powerful as his body matures and he works to become stronger.

Sweeney's sweet slide into home plate Thursday is another reason to keep him on the roster. He's producing and playing with heart and emotion. Sending him down now would be a major mistake.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 10, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
If Sweeney goes back to AAA when Thome comes back, Kenny REALLY needs to consider firing Ozzie.

KW and Ozzie make the roster decisions together, I believe, and KW being the GM has the biggest say-so. So if that does happen, then I guess KW would need to fire himself.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:39 AM)
Color me confused on this. I keep reading Guillen's various quotes and it doesn't add up. Okay, how is Thome who is a DH, going to affect Sweeney who is a LF's playing time. The only person on the roster that could possibly come back on the active roster to affect Sweeney is Pods. Last time I checked he is targeted for June. So the real answer is, why wouldn't you play this kid ready or not and see what you have until Pods comes off the DL. Is sending him down, and putting the horror show of Ozuna/Mack in LF a good thing. Mack coming off the bench, being a pinch hitter. This is what I thought we picked him up for. Not to be a platoon match for LF. He was originally picked up to backup Crede at 3rd. Funny thats the position he has played the least. You play this kid until he either proves he is over matched, or a better option comes along. He works the count, puts the ball in play and makes things happen. For me this is a non issue.

Maybe he means in relation to matchups. Sweeney being a Lefty Ozzie is probably talking about the schedule ahead and if we are slated to hit against a lot of righties or lefties. Over the last 6 games it has been all righties and a lot of sweeney. Im sure if we are supposed to face your Robertson, Cliff Lee, Sabathias and such Terrero would play instead of sweeney. So hes probably going to take a look at what kind of matchups are possible in the near future.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 10, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
Maybe he means in relation to matchups. Sweeney being a Lefty Ozzie is probably talking about the schedule ahead and if we are slated to hit against a lot of righties or lefties. Over the last 6 games it has been all righties and a lot of sweeney. Im sure if we are supposed to face your Robertson, Cliff Lee, Sabathias and such Terrero would play instead of sweeney. So hes probably going to take a look at what kind of matchups are possible in the near future.

Thome will probably be back Tuesday, so a move will have to be made by then.

Upcoming Probables:

TUES: Mussina ®

WED: Wang ®

THUR: Rasner ®/DeSalvo ®

FRI: Guzman ®

SAT: Lilly (L)

SUN: Marque ®

The Sox then face Oakland who only has one lefty starter (Kennedy) and Tampa who has Kazmir and Fossum

That's 5/6 games vs righties then possibly 1 lefty in the next series and who knows who Tampa will throw out there so no that's not a legitimate excuse at all.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:02 AM)
To take this thread in a different direction:

How freakin good does sweeney look? I mean, we have a top prospect who looks like he knows what the hell he is doing at the plate. Patience, hitting to both fields, making contact. You wouldnt know that he came up in our system if you saw him play.

Isn't it great?? Like someone else said, we're getting great production from two rookies, Danks and Sweeney.

I had no idea that Sweeney was that fast but once he gets out of the box he burns it down to first.

Why would Sweeney be demoted instead of Terrero for Thome? I could understand (not really, but for argument's sake) if Pods was ready because they both play the same position, but Thome is not playing the outfield. Why would you want Terrero in LF every day? Or Mack? Why do that? Sweeney looks like an everyday player. We know Mack isn't. We know Terrero isn't.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 10, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
If Sweeney goes back to AAA when Thome comes back, Kenny REALLY needs to consider firing Ozzie.

This is such a tired act. Just put it in your sig and stop repeating it. We all know how you feel

Sweeney has provided a spark-somewhat similar to the addition on Julio Cruz in 1983-the team has been better with him here. Only Guillen would disrupt things by sending him down.

Judy Baar Topinka er.......Ozzie Guillen-Whats he thinking?

By the way-does anyone miss Anderson?

The only excuse for sending down Sweeney and keeping Terrero up at this point is that Terrero is right-handed. But that is BS because Sweeney vs. left handed pitching is 10x better then Terrero to begin with.

Plus, Sweeney has showed the grinder mentality, to go along with his great eye, and + speed. The only thing he has done wrong so far is not hit for power, but that will come.