Thome activated, Sweeney sent down

TLAK

On Ozzie's pregame interview he told Farmer that they would decide whether to bring Thome back today or tomorrow depending on how he looked during BP. He must have looked pretty good, Rongey reports Thome is reinstated and Ryan Sweeney has been optioned out.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ May 20, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
Simple reason for why sending Sweeney down makes sense is because he'll play everyday in AAA. He wouldn't play everyday on the Sox.

but he SHOULD play everyday. Ozzie is a f***-up.

I didn't have much of an issue with sending Sweeney down. Williams had said the other day he wasn't going to send him down, but he's looked lost at the plate the past week or so.

We still have a gaping hole in LF however that I don't see any solution for on the team.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 20, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
Sweeney had a hole in his swing he needs to fix. If he goes down in AAA and works on that and fixes it, than he will eventually be back in the bigs and for the longrun.

He can't hit the inside pitch, but hopefully the minors can help with that.

wait, why not send down terrero and keep sweeney? it makes no sense, sweeney had no starts this weekend, and he has been one of our hottest hitters (well maybe for the better, since robby-mack has 3 rbis in 2 games)

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 20, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
wait, why not send down terrero and keep sweeney? it makes no sense, sweeney had no starts this weekend, and he has been one of our hottest hitters (well maybe for the better, since robby-mack has 3 rbis in 2 games)

He hasn't been hitting either - I believe his average is right around .200 now.

I think they beleive Terrero is a more suited backup player because he has been around some, and Sweeney is better off geting everyday at-bats in the minors.

As much as I hate to say it (cause I liked Sweeney a lot and expected him to produce enough to stay up) this is the right move. Sweeney needs everyday at bats and right now he's not willing to turn on the inside pitch (once he does that he'll not only be a good major league player, but a very good one).

Terrero isn't good, but I'd rather have him up than Sweeney when it comes to a limited AB type of role.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 20, 2007 -> 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because Terrero is a backup and Sweeney needs to be an everyday player. I bet Rob Mackowiak gets most of the AB's at LF now till pods returns.

Again, WHY? Lol. Who would you rather have playing LF everyday? Ozuna/Mack or Sweeney?

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ May 20, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
Again, WHY? Lol. Who would you rather have playing LF everyday? Ozuna/Mack or Sweeney?

I don't want Sweeney playing everyday if he can't hit. Right now, he's being exposed at the plate, and we're not exactly in a position to develop younger players right now on an offense that can't hit.

Now, if the White Sox said, we are going to give Ryan Sweeney 90% of the playing time until July 1st to see how he handles being a regular MLB player, I would give it a shot because he is potentially better than Mackowiak or Ozuna, but we know that Ozzie isn't going to do that because he's playing matchups with that spot, and doesn't want the kid to lose his confidence.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ May 20, 2007 -> 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stop with your man love for Sweeney. He is not ready to play everyday in the major's, thats why.

I'll admit I'm more among the casual fans than the fans that know everything about the game, but I saw great defense from him and some good hitting for a while, so I fail to see why he's not a better option than Mack or Ozuna, much less why he's not ready to play in the majors. And as far as platooning goes, that's already happening, so I don't see much of a difference there. Anderson played about a whole year and impressed with his D, and didn't hit at all, which in my estimation makes Sweeney a much bigger opportunity as a full-time OF or even the same platooning that was done. If Anderson was considered ready, why not Sweeney?

And I'm obviously not the only one with "man love" for Sweeney, thank you.