Wonder if KW will make a pitch for Percival...

caulfield12

According to Ken Rosenthal, former Angels and Tigers closer Troy Percival may make a comeback attempt. Percival's agent says the chances are 50/50, and that he was clocked at 97 recently. As Rosenthal says, someone will give him a shot if he does come back. Percival will likely decide today, and he'll call the Angels first.

Percival turns 38 in August. He received an ill-advised two-year, $12MM deal from Detroit prior to the 2005 season, and ended up pitching 25 innings over the life of the contract.

from the always-entertaining mlbtraderumors.com

Don't like the looks of that Angels pen if Percival is back to his old self, although the White Sox always did fairly well against him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
If he's genuinely hitting 97, I'd give him a serious, serious look.

As bad as Sisco, MacDougal and Aardsma have looked recently, you can never have TOO much quality bullpen pitching.

Wonder if he'd ask for two years (option for 08) or would be willing to "prove" himself, then become a Free Agent?

What was his injury again?

If he can consistently pitch around 93-95 at least and being able to hit 97 once in a while, and have at least decent breaking stuff, I'd gladly take him. He should be able to succeed if he hits his spots, and he will add a veteran presence to the bullpen.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
What was his injury again?

If he can consistently pitch around 93-95 at least and being able to hit 97 once in a while, and have at least decent breaking stuff, I'd gladly take him. He should be able to succeed if he hits his spots, and he will add a veteran presence to the bullpen.

Percival signed with the Detroit Tigers as a free agent for the 2005 season. However, after a mediocre start to his career at Comerica Park, during which he converted 8 saves from 11 opportunities and posted an ERA of 5.76, Percival suffered a serious injury to his right forearm in early July. The severity of the injury ended his season, as well put the rest of his career in doubt.

After attempting to recuperate, Percival reported to spring training for the Tigers in 2006. However, on his first outing he again suffered significant pain and left the team. After spending the entire 2006 season on the Tiger's disabled list and working for the team as an advance scout, Percival's contract with the Tigers expired at the end of the 2006 season.

Troy Percival retired as an Angel on Opening Day in 2007, after rejecting the Angels offer of a Minor League contract to their long-time closer. Percival threw the ceremonial first pitch on April 2, 2007 in the Angels season opener against the Texas Rangers.[1]

[edit] Post-retirement

On January 19, 2007, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim hired Percival as a special assignment pitching instructor. Troy is now working on a comeback and will be pitching off of a mound soon. Several teams are already interested in him.

from wikipedia.com

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 22, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
According to Ken Rosenthal, former Angels and Tigers closer Troy Percival may make a comeback attempt. Percival's agent says the chances are 50/50, and that he was clocked at 97 recently. As Rosenthal says, someone will give him a shot if he does come back. Percival will likely decide today, and he'll call the Angels first.

Percival turns 38 in August. He received an ill-advised two-year, $12MM deal from Detroit prior to the 2005 season, and ended up pitching 25 innings over the life of the contract.

from the always-entertaining mlbtraderumors.com

Don't like the looks of that Angels pen if Percival is back to his old self, although the White Sox always did fairly well against him.

I'd give him a look either way. I assume he's feeling really good and most of the reason for his struggles late in his career had to do with a hip condition (IIRC). The main reason I'd want him is because we have a very young pen and I think it could really really be beneficial to have a veteran around the bunch and there aren't many guys classier you could have in the back of the pen.

Maybe Erstad can help the Sox get the front track (if the Angels pass on him). And geeze, if he's throwing 97 I see no reason he wouldn't be able to get guys out at a half decent rate (or at least a rate better than Sisco).

Something I've always wondered with sports fans and writers...why when they talk about contract signings, do they designate million as MM instead of M?

12M= 12 Million

12MM = ?? Mega Million? Multi Million?

Doesn't make sense to me. :D

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
Something I've always wondered with sports fans and writers...why when they talk about contract signings, do they designate million as MM instead of M?

12M= 12 Million

12MM = ?? Mega Million? Multi Million?

Doesn't make sense to me. :D

M is the roman numeral for 1000.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
M is the roman numeral for 1000.

You aren't supposed to mix non roman numerals with roman numerals.

I get the desgination is supposed to be 12x1000x1000 = 12,000,000 -- however, mixing our number system with the roman number system to create a mythical mathamatical equation is pointless. :D

In english, when discussing dollar value, 12M = 12million. :P

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 23, 2007 -> 03:00 AM)
If he's genuinely hitting 97, I'd give him a serious, serious look.

McDouglas is the one that has me worried. I wonder if he has arm problem or head problems, but he has generally been ineffective recently. he does have a history of arm trouble. We need to be seriously looking at bullpen options.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 23, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
McDouglas is the one that has me worried. I wonder if he has arm problem or head problems, but he has generally been ineffective recently. he does have a history of arm trouble. We need to be seriously looking at bullpen options.

McDouglas? :lolhitting