Minor League Catch-All Thread

santo=dorf

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel Cortes is the 57th ranked prospect by Baseball America. Cortes is a Royal but was drafted by the White Sox and traded along with Tyler Lumsden to the Royals for MacDougall.

The interest thing is Lumsden was the key piece (he was having a tremendous minor league season at the time of the deal) but Cortes, who was a sleeper of FutureSox's has really turned into the big player of that deal. He's a big righty who gets great sink on a good fastball.

Just wanted to point it out, since people will be talking about Gio/DSL (pitchers the Sox have traded) but realistically Cortes has just as good of a chance as the other and Cortes has a very better pitchers build (ranked 3 spots ahead of DSL in the top 100).

I don't know if this was posted, but Baseball-Reference recently added Minor league stats to their database. So now you can easily search for minor league stats on there as well. I know there are other places to do this already, so this is just FYI.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/affiliates.cgi?aid=CHW

Also, I completely forgot that Jon Rauch won BA Minor League POY in 2000.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
10 IP, 4 R (0 ER), 7 K, 2 BB, 5 hits for Porcello in 2 starts. Can't hate the WHIP, but it's early. Impressive for his age and experience so far though.

My guy, Alderson (who I'll admit doesn't have the ceiling of Porcello) has some similar numbers at the same level/age ... 10 IP, 6 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2BB, 6 K.

• 4 weeks later...

david price is dealing....3-0 0.00 ERA18 IP 19 K 2 BB

i heard some chatter that if the rays are in it at the end of the year he may come up and take on a Joba type set up role....either way he certainly is ready for AA