Minor League Catch-All Thread

santo=dorf

Continuing on the blast from the past...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/xrnd.php?rnd=2

Maybe I'm overrating this a little bit, but the 2nd round of the 2004 draft is looking really good. Dustin Pedroia and Hunter Pence have already established themselves as solid everyday players, Yovani Gallardo is arguably the Brewers' second best starting pitcher right now (please, Yost, put him in the rotation!). Reid Brignac is struggling this season but is still considered a very good prospect, and Kurt Suzuki would probably be the A's everyday catcher if they weren't paying Jason Kendall $10 million. There's also one of the Twinkies' decent prospect, Anthony Swarzak.

I remember during this second round I really wanted BJ Szymanski to make it to the Sox (he didn't -- probably a good thing) and was also extremely pissed when the Sox went with Lucy over Suzuki.

I'd bash the Sox for missing out on so many of those 2nd rounders, but it's looking like they did their homework with the first two picks of Fields and Gonzalez (looking like the 2nd best player in the supp round behind Huston Street, and if Gio becomes an average starter he'll be the best).

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
Hunter Pence or Dustin Pedoria would look pretty damn good wearing black and white.... oh well/ It just pisses me off and also saddens me that out scouting system is so freaking bad.

it's both scouting and development they need to work on. Brian Anderson was a great first round choice because he had to the tools to be a very solid all-around CF (.280 20 20 .825) but because of poor coaching in the minor leagues, he'll never get near that. The Sox have developed like 2-3 hitters in this decade in Lee, Rowand, and Crede (and if you really, really want to stretch it, you can probably include Konerko and Ordonez too, though Konerko was more of a major league acquisition and both had very good years in 1999 anyways). That's 3 hitters, which is unbelievably terrible.

The Sox have found talent and haven't produced stinkers like Dellaero, Liefer, Stumm, or Johnson in a while, but ya that needs to improve a bit too.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
Why can you include Carlos and not Maggs?

I include him because he only played 3/4 of the 99 season and was only a solid player; given, he was only a solid player in 2000 too, but I figure he developed into the player he is today from like 02-04; Maggs solidified himself as an All-Star in 1999 and slowly developed a little further beyond that.

It's debateable; if you want to go without debate, only Crede and Rowand have been developed within the decade, and that's terrible.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 01:25 AM)
Count Maggs

You're way off. I don't see any argument as to why you can't include Maggs as a good hitter the Sox developed.

nonono, I'm counting him; I'm just saying not this decade. A technical thing more than anything.

Over the past 10 years, the Sox have developed Maggs, Lee, Rowand, and Crede; perhaps you can include Cameron too, but quite frankly one extra player doesn't mean much to me.

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
Is Rick Ankiel for real?????

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=150449

2007 Season

Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

MEM PCL .270 91 345 55 93 13 2 29 76 197 24 81 3 3 .320 .571 .891

Wow. Even if he's not, you gotta applaud him for persevering. :drink

He was on the front page of the sports section of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch a couple weeks ago. He should at least be a solid 4th OFer. With Edmonds and Encarnacion both old, there's a solid shot that he might even get a look at a starting spot.

From the Tribune:

Left-hander Ryan Ring is 2-0 with a 1.06 ERA in his last three starts for Double-A Birmingham

Looks like we combined Ryan Wing and Royce Ring to get a pretty solid pitcher... :P Seriously, he probably won't ever get to the bigs, but Wing has done a fantastic job this year for Birmingham.

Edited by dasox24

just for anyone interested, like me, the guy we would have likely drafted before he got snatched up by Texas, Michael Main has pitched 8.2 innings this season, not giving up any runs and only 2 hits and 2 BB's while striking out 8.

TRANSACTIONS: The Chicago White Sox today announced that IF Kenny Perez has been promoted

to Class-AAACharlotte. In 25 games withBirmingham Perez batted .265 with seven extra-base hits and

17 RBI. In addition, IF Chris Getz has been activated from the Disabled List. Getz was placed on the

DLon May 27th with a leg injury.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
TRANSACTIONS: The Chicago White Sox today announced that IF Kenny Perez has been promoted

to Class-AAACharlotte. In 25 games withBirmingham Perez batted .265 with seven extra-base hits and

17 RBI. In addition, IF Chris Getz has been activated from the Disabled List. Getz was placed on the

DLon May 27th with a leg injury.

omg, I was wondering when our top prospect Kenny Perez was gonna get promoted to AAA. He will probably dominate Charlotte like he did in Birmingham, don't you think?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
Jack Egbert had a good month.

3-1, 1.50 ERA, 30 IP, 24 H, 5 R, 7 BB, 41 K

Unless Sisco suddenly morphs into Randy Johnson or Lance Broadway continues his improvement, I bet Egbert gets a Sept callup and gets a few starts. We've done this with AA pitchers before. I believe Mark Buehrle never spent a day in AAA.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)
omg, I was wondering when our top prospect Kenny Perez was gonna get promoted to AAA. He will probably dominate Charlotte like he did in Birmingham, don't you think?

With Molina leaving, why promote Perez? Why not Donny Lucy, to take that catcher slot and see if he really can be an option to replace Hall or AJP some day? Perez ain't replacing anyone.

I think there is a decent chance you see Egbert make a few starts this year or at the very least pitch out of the pen a lot.

I am puzzled/surprised that Donny Lucy wasn't promoted to Charlotte. I expect him to be given every opportunity to succeed and I wouldn't be shocked if he's the Sox backup next year (with Hall being moved) and if he isn't the backup it will be because the Sox are hoping he can make enough strides with the stick to replace AJ as the starter.

there isn't a whole lot more that Jack can prove at the Double-A level. He dominates to win. He guts it out to win. He goes the mound with nothing and still battles through six. He's keeping the ball in the park at home and on the road, and he's starting to totally out-think hitters. He's going 0-2, 1-2 on so many hitters it's ridiculous. He's among the Southern League leaders in pretty much every relevant category.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
Could have missed it, but any word on Porcello?

As of earlier this week, no he had not signed, and the ESPN chat folks seemed to seriously have no idea which way it'll go.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 12:59 PM)
I think there is a decent chance you see Egbert make a few starts this year or at the very least pitch out of the pen a lot.

I am puzzled/surprised that Donny Lucy wasn't promoted to Charlotte. I expect him to be given every opportunity to succeed and I wouldn't be shocked if he's the Sox backup next year (with Hall being moved) and if he isn't the backup it will be because the Sox are hoping he can make enough strides with the stick to replace AJ as the starter.

I think Lucy will be added to the 40 man and will see a lot of action behind the plate come september. If Lucy gets added, that means there would be 2 opening left. My guess is that one would be Broadway and another one of Egbert or Gonzalez, probably Egbert (More polished, Gio would just move up to Charlotte to replace Broaday).

Also, speaking of people who will get playing time in September, it would be a good opportunity to see Oneli pitch, and maybe be a candidate for the pen next season.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
I think Lucy will be added to the 40 man and will see a lot of action behind the plate come september. If Lucy gets added, that means there would be 2 opening left. My guess is that one would be Broadway and another one of Egbert or Gonzalez, probably Egbert (More polished, Gio would just move up to Charlotte to replace Broaday).

Also, speaking of people who will get playing time in September, it would be a good opportunity to see Oneli pitch, and maybe be a candidate for the pen next season.

I was really getting a feeling that Russell might get a chance in the pen in September as well.