Minor League Catch-All Thread

santo=dorf

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
I was really getting a feeling that Russell might get a chance in the pen in September as well.

ah, I forgot about him. Well, we might as well just put Reynoso on waivers now, he has no future with this team.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triple-A Charlotte outfielder Ryan Sweeney, one of the Sox's top hitting prospects, resumed batting practice this week after being sidelined since Aug. 1 because of a sore wrist. Sweeney could rejoin the Knights soon and in time for a September promotion. He is batting .275 with nine home runs for Charlotte. … Minor league relievers Dewon Day and Adam Russell are strong candidates to pitch in the Arizona Fall League for Phoenix under Double-A Birmingham manager Rafael Santana.
Trib

How/why is Santana managing in the AFL? Hasn't he done a pretty terrible job in two years as a manager? Now they're going to let him screw with other team's prospects? Maybe the Sox think he'll learn a thing or two? :huh

How are these coaching staffs chosen that he would wind up out there?

Keep an eye out this week for Wednesday's signing deadline for prospects. I think it's stupid as f*** that you only have less than two months to get all of your picks signed, but it is what it is, and a bunch of the top prospects still haven't signed. I imagine we'll see a bunch of them sign last minute, but there's a chance Weiters (sp?), the Georgia Tech catcher might not sign. David Price and KC's pick (Moustakas?) are still unsigned as well.

Well, this would be good news.

Guillen sounded amused to hear that injured Charlotte outfielder Brian Anderson might play winter ball in Mexico after leaving the Venezuela after less than one month last October because of illness.

"If Brian played in Mexico, I want to see how long he stays there because when he was playing in Venezuela, it was a big league for winter ball," Guillen said. "The best place to stay, the best place to hang around. Mexico is a little different. The bus rides are a few hours, but we'll see."

I'm probably still the only one holding out hope for Anderson out of the entire Chicago fan base. Sounds like Guillen might be a bit impressed if BA actually did play in Mexico. If somehow that kid could turn his career around, that would be an enormous help to this team.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
Well, this would be good news.

I'm probably still the only one holding out hope for Anderson out of the entire Chicago fan base. Sounds like Guillen might be a bit impressed if BA actually did play in Mexico. If somehow that kid could turn his career around, that would be an enormous help to this team.

He can play plus defense in all three OF positions, and has the talent to maybe be able to hit well in the future. Therefore, he does have value. It may be he is a backup OF on the 2008 team. But he would have to play the entire season in Mexico, AND make a show of being early AND late at spring training.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
He can play plus defense in all three OF positions, and has the talent to maybe be able to hit well in the future. Therefore, he does have value. It may be he is a backup OF on the 2008 team. But he would have to play the entire season in Mexico, AND make a show of being early AND late at spring training.

No way he should start 08 with the big league team. The way I do it, I start off with Crede @ 3rd and Fields in the OF, and if either Crede struggles or Crede is traded mid-season, then you bring up the better of Anderson/Sweeney when you move Josh back to 3rd. I just can't see how either of Anderson and Sweeney have shown nearly enough to justify starting them off with the big league team next year, nor do I see how either of them would benefit from playing 1 time per week.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
No way he should start 08 with the big league team. The way I do it, I start off with Crede @ 3rd and Fields in the OF, and if either Crede struggles or Crede is traded mid-season, then you bring up the better of Anderson/Sweeney when you move Josh back to 3rd. I just can't see how either of Anderson and Sweeney have shown nearly enough to justify starting them off with the big league team next year, nor do I see how either of them would benefit from playing 1 time per week.

I think Anderson COULD benefit from playing 2x per week at the major league level. There is more to the learning process than just seeing more pitching. For BA, it seems clear he needs to be around people who can teach him things, and also learn some humility. Being with the big club could do that.

But I agree in principle that Sweeney needs playing time, and should start at Charlotte in 2008 (or, if the thing you predict happens, take that OF spot).

• 3 weeks later...

While everyone is catching on that the Sox' farm system isn't very healthy, its interesting to note that it already looks like some things are improving at the lower end. The team's Rookie and Low A affiliates both had solid second half records - Great Falls was 24-9, and Kannapolis was 37-32. As some of those younger folks fill in the middle and higher levels (High A and AA particularly), I think we may start to see a few of those guys rise to the top, and we'll see if we really do have some better prospects.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

from goldstein's chat on BP:

larry (chicago): fautino de los santos: great white sox prospect or the greatest white sox prospect? seriously, throw the other sox fans a bone, what should we expect from him over the next five years?

Kevin Goldstein: Here's some bones for you.

1. De Los Santos is really good.

2. Aaron Poreda was a STEAL in this year's draft.

3. They have a pretty impressive group of VERY young talent that nobody has heard about, but will soon.

• 1 month later...

ehhh...?

Derek Valenzuela moved from professional scout to West Coast crosschecker, and Nick Hostetler was named East Coast crosschecker. Joe Butler moved to the professional scouting staff after serving as a special-assignment amateur scout. Mike Baker (Southern California), Jeff McKay (Northwest), Joe Siers (North Florida) and Gary Woods (Southern California) were hired as amateur scouts.

from an article sox-r-us posted in PHT

• 3 months later...

All they did was to inject some html code into the main page, it acts similar to an XSS attack where you click on the main page and it sends you to another page.

Here is the offending code in the index.html. I am going to IM Kap and Jas and ask them for permission to run a base security audit for the site over the weekend. At least this way we can see any basic security issues that can be exposed by hackers.

Here is the injected code.

HACKED BY ULATH

HACKED BY

ULATH

cherntrpu2mu5.jpg

WE ARE

SOLDIERS  OF MUSTAFA KEMAL ATATURK

WWW.STARHACKZ.COM

The Rangers released Chris Stewart today.

Thought it was interesting after watching John Lujan's nice 2 inning stint in relief the other day.

Lujan had a pretty decent season at Winston-Salem in 2007.

It will be interesting to watch how he does at Birmingham this year.

Edited by scenario