Aaron Cunningham Traded to Zona for IF Danny Richar

Heads22

White Sox acquire infielder Richar from Arizona for outfielder Cunningham

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have acquired infielder Danny Richar from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for outfielder Aaron Cunningham. Richar will be optioned to Class AAA Charlotte.

Richar, 24, hit .285 (76-267) with 20 doubles, four triples, eight home runs, 46 RBI and 40 runs scored in 66 games with Class AAA Tucson in 2007. He appeared in 50 games at second base and 16 at shortstop.

The 6-foot-0, 170-pounder ranked second last season in the Southern League in runs scored (79), fourth in hits (140) and tied for fourth in average (.292) and was named to the league's mid-and-postseason All-Star Teams.

Richar owns a .281 (678-2,410) average over six minor-league seasons in the Diamondbacks organization.

Cunningham, 21, batted .294 (74-252) with 12 doubles, five triples, eight home runs and 37 RBI in 67 games with Class A Winston-Salem in 2007.

The 40-man roster now stands at 40.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
Iguchi/Uribe contingency plan?

Maybe setting up a move with iguchi.

Maybe being able to finally park Uribe and his dormant ass on the bench when he decides to dog it in the field and swing for the fence and K 3 times.

The dude sounds like he has a ton of upside. A 4 or 5 tool player in the middle infield? Sounds good to me. Why would the Diamondbacks want another OF prospect? It seems like they have a lot. Then again it seems like they have a lot of middle infielders that they converted to OFers, so I don't know.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just thought the same thing. Just looked at Richar's player page on MILB.com. Get him up here, put him at SS, or start giving Gooch some time off.

Instead of giving him time off - package him with Buehrle to the Mets and get Milledge, Pelfrey, and Martinez. Then start playing Richar, Milledge and Pelfrey immediately.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OFs are a hell of a lot easier to come by, than any infield prospects. We have NOTHING in the stable for 2nd or SS next year.

Very good point - although I thought Chris Getz was someone that a lot had some hopes for.

I don't hate the move, don't necessarily love it. I do think it is good to get a strenght in the system. I also know I'm one of the few that doesn't ever see Cunningham developing into an all star (however, I can see him developing into an Aaron Rowand type of role player).

That said, outfielders are a lot easier to come by and Cunningham was still a couple years off. The guy the Sox are getting has a s***load of speed, good tools, and pop for a middle infielder and fills a serious need. Still, he's very raw and there is definately reason for concerns and I would think the odds are greater than Cunningham has a better major league career.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
I don't hate the move, don't necessarily love it. I do think it is good to get a strenght in the system. I also know I'm one of the few that doesn't ever see Cunningham developing into an all star (however, I can see him developing into an Aaron Rowand type of role player).

That said, outfielders are a lot easier to come by and Cunningham was still a couple years off. The guy the Sox are getting has a s***load of speed, good tools, and pop for a middle infielder and fills a serious need. Still, he's very raw and there is definately reason for concerns and I would think the odds are greater than Cunningham has a better major league career.

Sssshhhhhhh everyone on Soxtalk will riot now.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 08:38 PM)
It looks like this kid has serious potential at least.

Meh -- he's a 24 year old with an .827 OPS in the PCL. Looks like he might be a pretty good backup, and at the very worst, he does bat left-handed so I imagine he and Gonzalez could make a pretty good (~.270/.340/.420) platoon.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Meh -- he's a 24 year old with an .827 OPS in the PCL. Looks like he might be a pretty good backup, and at the very worst, he does bat left-handed so I imagine he and Gonzalez could make a pretty good (~.270/.340/.420) platoon.

However, he can fly has continuously started hitting with more and more power and fills a position that the Sox have crap at.

And yes, Andy Gonzalez is crap. Chris Getz isn't crap but is a tweener.

Hell the guy already has 32 extra base hits this year, which is pretty damn impressive (albeit he's doing it in a hitters league). His walk totals appear to be on the rise over the past couple years as well.

He also had a pretty impressive Arizona Fall League Apparently as he was named to BA's "AFL Rising Stars List" during the most recent fall league.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
Disappointing base stealing numbers for someone who can fly.

That is the one concern. It was also the same concern I had about Jerry Owens so called speed (but this season, for whatever reason, a switch flipped and Owens steal numbers took off). I just wonder if teams have been careful due to his ankle injuries. Either way you know if the guy is quick the Sox org will be working on turning him into a better base runner (and he will likely get to at least get a game or two with Pods and hopefully a bit longer whether its at the major league or minor league level).