Aaron Cunningham Traded to Zona for IF Danny Richar

Heads22

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 08:51 PM)
Hell the guy already has 32 extra base hits this year, which is pretty damn impressive (albeit he's doing it in a hitters league).

That's my concern -- that his good slugging percentage (.479) is PCL inflated.

Here's a profile I found on Richar, although it was written a year-and-a-half ago... http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=251&p=2&c=494556

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
That's my concern -- that his good slugging percentage (.479) is PCL inflated.

Here's a profile I found on Richar, although it was written a year-and-a-half ago... http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=251&p=2&c=494556

Richar has risen a bit since than, but you don't hear as much about him since he is behind a couple other guys in the Dbacks system. He had a great fall league and his minor league numbers showed improving power prior to hitting the PCL (which is a positive, albeit I do agree with you that there is reason to be skeptical).

Still, I never thought as highly of Cunningham as others, albeit I think Cunningham has a far better career than Brian Anderson will have.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
The bigger question is what the hell do the Diamondbacks need with another outfielder? They have what like 15 future major league outfielders currently in the organization?

Ya, that was the one thing I thought about. It makes you think when they deal a middle infielder for yet another outfield prospect. It could be that Richar had expressed some sort of desire to get an opportunity and they granted him it or it could just be the Dbacks really like Cunningham and think they are getting a bargain.

Who knows.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya, that was the one thing I thought about. It makes you think when they deal a middle infielder for yet another outfield prospect. It could be that Richar had expressed some sort of desire to get an opportunity and they granted him it or it could just be the Dbacks really like Cunningham and think they are getting a bargain.

Who knows.

Don't they have a lot of MI prospects as well - one of the reasons Richar was playing so many positions was because he was be blocked at a lot. So they deal from a surplus for something else they have a surplus of? It is nice to know KW is out there talking though. It seems like he likes to deal with AZ. Maybe there is something bigger in the works and this just happened to fall in KWs lap as they were talking about another player - possibly Dye?

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
I recently developed an infatuation with Cunningham so naturally the Sox trade him. At least it seems like we got something that might be usable someday though. Would have been pissed if it was for some sort of Ryan Bukvich/Bret Prinz type arm.

That was actually my biggest fear when I received a message on my phone telling me Cunningham was dealt. I was so scared Kenny traded him for some old veteran reliever or some old crappy outfielder. Than I came on to see it was for Richar and I was a lot more happy (since it was a youth for youth move and this youth filled a more immediate need...albeit OF is obviously a dire freaking need).

The Sox and AZ have a very good relationship so you never know, this deal could have came about as part of discussions for another deal (say Kenny was working on a Dye deal but they couldn't agree just yet, however during the discussions the Sox got very itnerested in Richar and bit on this initially and told the Dbacks they could further discussing things cause I do think the Sox could have some interest in some of the Dbacks OF prospects).

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
Don't they have a lot of MI prospects as well - one of the reasons Richar was playing so many positions was because he was be blocked at a lot. So they deal from a surplus for something else they have a surplus of? It is nice to know KW is out there talking though. It seems like he likes to deal with AZ. Maybe there is something bigger in the works and this just happened to fall in KWs lap as they were talking about another player - possibly Dye?

To me this proves more of a linkage to Iguchi. He is a FA, they havent had the production out of him that they would like.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
That was actually my biggest fear when I received a message on my phone telling me Cunningham was dealt. I was so scared Kenny traded him for some old veteran reliever or some old crappy outfielder. Than I came on to see it was for Richar and I was a lot more happy (since it was a youth for youth move and this youth filled a more immediate need...albeit OF is obviously a dire freaking need).

The Sox and AZ have a very good relationship so you never know, this deal could have came about as part of discussions for another deal (say Kenny was working on a Dye deal but they couldn't agree just yet, however during the discussions the Sox got very itnerested in Richar and bit on this initially and told the Dbacks they could further discussing things cause I do think the Sox could have some interest in some of the Dbacks OF prospects).

Now Kenny needs to see what it would take, to get Matt Murton off the cubs hands. They are a bit down on him also. He can hit, and would be a nice 2 hitter for our team this year and next.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)

You're welcome.

I think this just means that the Sox don't feel that they can re-up with Iguchi, or have found so through talks. I hope we can move Gooch for a package of talent.

Given the disappointing offense of Uribe entering an option year, and Iguchi potentially going FA (and not playing so great this year), and the very weak middle infield of the minor league system... I think I like this move. Cunningham has similar upside, but further down the road if it comes to fruition. And OF is one area we do have a few talented guys already.

Yup, I think I like it.

Richar seems like a decent replacement for Gooch next year. Somebody who is fast and can play 2nd/SS. I would have love the deal more if its not Cunningham traded. I guess we Anderson and Sweeney ahead of him so we can trade him and get somebody close to being ready to play 2nd or short for the future.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgive me for not being too excited about a 24 year old putting up decent numbers in the PCL. I'm guessing KW is hoping this guy can be Pablo Ozuna- like, I'd be shocked if he's counting on him being a regular as soon as next season.

His scouting report seemed to think he would be the replacement next year for Hudson. So I'm guessing he is not Ozuna like and that he would be starting in 08. The report also stated that he would be in the majors in 08, but most likely not with the Diamondbacks if they move Upton to 2B. If 2 organizations think he will be a starter in 08 I think they would know more than, say, a fan that read a scouting report or 2. Just a hunch.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah why would anyone deal with one of the best farm systems in baseball.

classic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
His scouting report seemed to think he would be the replacement next year for Hudson. So I'm guessing he is not Ozuna like and that he would be starting in 08. The report also stated that he would be in the majors in 08, but most likely not with the Diamondbacks if they move Upton to 2B. If 2 organizations think he will be a starter in 08 I think they would know more than, say, a fan that read a scouting report or 2. Just a hunch.

classic

What was the scouting report on Brian Anderson? Wasn't he supposed to be starting in CF tearing up the AL? Wasn't the scouting report on Jerry Owens a couple of years ago saying he should be in someone's OF in 2007? Wasn't Willie Harris supposed to be a regular say 4 or 5 years ago? You also should read the old scouting reports on Pablo Ozuna. He was once ranked as one of the best prospects in baseball, until they found out he was a few years older than they thought. If KW is truely "going for it" like he constantly says, a line-up filled with rookies isn't going to work. Maybe the guy does start his rookie year when he's 25, but he ain't that great. Who are the 2 organizations that think he'll be a starter in 2008? You just said it most likely wouldn't be the Diamondbacks, and I have yet to hear KW's take on him?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What was the scouting report on Brian Anderson? Wasn't he supposed to be starting in CF tearing up the AL? Wasn't the scouting report on Jerry Owens a couple of years ago saying he should be in someone's OF in 2007? Wasn't Willie Harris supposed to be a regular say 4 or 5 years ago? You also should read the old scouting reports on Pablo Ozuna. He was once ranked as one of the best prospects in baseball, until they found out he was a few years older than they thought. If KW is truely "going for it" like he constantly says, a line-up filled with rookies isn't going to work. Maybe the guy does start his rookie year when he's 25, but he ain't that great. Who are the 2 organizations that think he'll be a starter in 2008? You just said it most likely wouldn't be the Diamondbacks, and I have yet to hear KW's take on him?

So then you are backing me up on this idea - a fan that reads a couple of scouting reports knows very little if anything about a player, but a couple of organizations that see him as a starting 2B in 08 knows more - correct? Or - I'm sorry - maybe you have actually seen this guy play a lot in person and you are making your judgement on what you actually have seen in him. First - I never heard anyone say he would be tearing up the AL. SEcond I never heard anyone say Owens was anything more than a 4th OF at best. Third- Willie Harris was supposed to be a regular? I never heard that - ever. Fourth - I have heard many changes in age that affect the way an organization looks at a player. That happens. Plus who said I wanted or that KW wanted the line-up to be filled with rookies? If you look at my previous posts in any thread you would know that this is definitely not what I want - I can't speak for KW.

I would bet the White Sox are planning on using him as Iguchi's replacement in 08. Speculation, opinion - yes - just as is yours.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
The dude sounds like he has a ton of upside. A 4 or 5 tool player in the middle infield? Sounds good to me. Why would the Diamondbacks want another OF prospect? It seems like they have a lot. Then again it seems like they have a lot of middle infielders that they converted to OFers, so I don't know.

Callaspo and Drew are blocking him so he wasn't going to start anytime in the infield.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
I don't hate the move, don't necessarily love it. I do think it is good to get a strenght in the system. I also know I'm one of the few that doesn't ever see Cunningham developing into an all star (however, I can see him developing into an Aaron Rowand type of role player).

You'll like what I put in my FS writeup about Aaron. It basically said the same thing as you. I didn't mention Rowand, but implied it on the offensive side. I agree with you pretty much on the head, which is a little rare.

I see it as the Sox getting a position of need and a guy closer to the Majors with a comparable upside. Cunningham might be better on D and that could be the difference, but Richar has more speed despite the lack of SB numbers. I think it's a pretty even trade.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
The bigger question is what the hell do the Diamondbacks need with another outfielder? They have what like 15 future major league outfielders currently in the organization?

Yeah, you're missing some pinstripes on that jersey. ;)

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Message to Uribe? Plus if Gonzalez goes down we have a relief infielder to bring up and try out.

Oh God I hope Uribe is gone. I think it is more of a plan to get Iguchi out of here though. I would be happy to get rid of either player really.