Aaron Cunningham Traded to Zona for IF Danny Richar

Heads22

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 12:55 AM)
Richar's numbers are heavily aided by his park and league. John Sickels ranked Cunningham as the #6 prospetc in Sox orgnization with a B- ranking. Richar was unranked by Sickels. On the face of it, the Sox traded a better prospect for an older one who they are hoping will contribute to the big league team in 2008. Good luck with that.

Well I don't know how tough the Southern League is, but if it's easy, he was having an easier time than virtually everyone else in it last year.

"The 6-foot-0, 170-pounder ranked second last season in the Southern League in runs scored (79), fourth in hits (140) and tied for fourth in average (.292)"

Anyway, this guy could be our Pablo Ozuna....er..... our Andy Gonzalez, by tomorrow.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 01:26 AM)
Well I don't know how tough the Southern League is, but if it's easy, he was having an easier time than virtually everyone else in it last year.

"The 6-foot-0, 170-pounder ranked second last season in the Southern League in runs scored (79), fourth in hits (140) and tied for fourth in average (.292)"

Anyway, this guy could be our Pablo Ozuna....er..... our Andy Gonzalez, by tomorrow.

Remember when Jerry Owens hit 330 in the Southern League. Or two years before when Jeremy Reed hit 400+ in the southern league?

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
With Owens, we need speed to replace Erstad and Pods at the top of the line-up. I think Owens will go back down this week if he continues to struggle and they might have to bring up either Sweeney or Anderson again...or Erstad/Pods will come back.

Don't forget Torrero, another player Ozzie has no problem with.

This goes back to my basic question about Ozzie Guillen. Jerry Owens leads off for Guillen and in a month can't muster a single walk. Not one. How is that possible if Guillen and Walker are really teaching patience? That stat is so bad that it seems they are teaching impatience. Further, the fact that he can't get on base doesn't dissuade Ozzie from leaving up up top. He loves Erstad and his .310 OBP at the top; Except for 1 season (maybe 2) Erstad has been below average at getting on base, but he's exactly what Ozzie wants at leadoff. Where is there any evidence that Ozzie values patience, much less a leadoff man actually being able to get on base?

I agree that Sweeney wasn't ready. But neither is Owens, Torrero and Gonzales never will be. It appears that we traded an outfielder with potential for another Ozzie-style low-ceiling utility infielder. I guess the idea is to leave the utility players up as they have limited potential anyway, and they have plenty of role models on this team.

Meanwhile, Ozzie-ball is last in the AL in offense and 9 below .500 and dropping.

Edited by GreenSox

Aaron Cunningham is in the mode of just about every outfield prospect we've had lately not named Chris Young in that his ceiling is a bit low for a prospect (the name Mark Kotsay always seems to come up in comparisons). At least Richar seems to have a bit of a ceiling, is a bit further in his development while still young, and fits a need if he turns out any good.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 06:04 PM)
Don't forget Torrero, another player Ozzie has no problem with.

This goes back to my basic question about Ozzie Guillen. Jerry Owens leads off for Guillen and in a month can't muster a single walk. Not one. How is that possible if Guillen and Walker are really teaching patience? That stat is so bad that it seems they are teaching impatience. Further, the fact that he can't get on base doesn't dissuade Ozzie from leaving up up top. He loves Erstad and his .310 OBP at the top; Except for 1 season (maybe 2) Erstad has been below average at getting on base, but he's exactly what Ozzie wants at leadoff. Where is there any evidence that Ozzie values patience, much less a leadoff man actually being able to get on base?

I agree that Sweeney wasn't ready. But neither is Owens, Torrero and Gonzales never will be. It appears that we traded an outfielder with potential for another Ozzie-style low-ceiling utility infielder. I guess the idea is to leave the utility players up as they have limited potential anyway, and they have plenty of role models on this team.

Meanwhile, Ozzie-ball is last in the AL in offense and 9 below .500 and dropping.

Erstad's .338 OBP as a leadoff hitter is not why we're barely ahead of the KC Royals. It's a little below average, but pretty similar to what Pods did last year. Apparently, they want to give the team 2-3 more weeks after both those guys come back before making any "deep" roster cuts in the trade market.

I think Ozzie preferred Pierre, but where would be with him or Roberts, much worse off than we are with Jerry Owens. There's no doubt this team would be better off with Gary Matthews Jr., but his contract was ridiculed universally, almost as much as Meche's. There must have been 3-4 occasions any team in the majors could have had him for a song.

Owens will be back in AAA and play a lot in the 2nd half when the infusion of Erstad and Pods fails to get us back into the race. If we continues to have such a horrific OBP, he will undoubtedly be waived in the offseason.