Aaron Cunningham Traded to Zona for IF Danny Richar

Heads22

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
So then you are backing me up on this idea - a fan that reads a couple of scouting reports knows very little if anything about a player, but a couple of organizations that see him as a starting 2B in 08 knows more - correct? Or - I'm sorry - maybe you have actually seen this guy play a lot in person and you are making your judgement on what you actually have seen in him. First - I never heard anyone say he would be tearing up the AL. SEcond I never heard anyone say Owens was anything more than a 4th OF at best. Third- Willie Harris was supposed to be a regular? I never heard that - ever. Fourth - I have heard many changes in age that affect the way an organization looks at a player. That happens. Plus who said I wanted or that KW wanted the line-up to be filled with rookies? If you look at my previous posts in any thread you would know that this is definitely not what I want - I can't speak for KW.

I would bet the White Sox are planning on using him as Iguchi's replacement in 08. Speculation, opinion - yes - just as is yours.

You never heard that Willie Harris was supposed to be a regular? How long have you been following the White Sox? He actually was a regular for a little while.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You never heard that Willie Harris was supposed to be a regular? How long have you been following the White Sox? He actually was a regular for a little while.

I know he was, but I never heard that he was supposed to be before he was. Honestly - before he was the 2B I thought they were only thinking of him as a utility man/pinch runner. I thought he was placed at 2B because there was nothing else - not becuase they thought that highly of him. I also have a bad memory sometimes - so you could be right.

All my life my friend. All my life.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought Willie Harris was supposed to be the next Ray Durham when we got him.

That worked out horribly wrong.

Edited by southsideirish

How the hell can anyone feel one way or another about this trade?

Prospect for prospect. 24-year-old for A-baller. Who cares. Nothing to look twice at.

If this means Iguchi is out the door sooner rather than later, maybe this trade develops some sort of significance...if not, I really couldn't care less.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)

Prospect for prospect. 24-year-old for A-baller. Who cares. Nothing to look twice at.

If this means Iguchi is out the door sooner rather than later, maybe this trade develops some sort of significance...if not, I really couldn't care less.

well Aaron Cunningham is a four-tool player who is what you would call a grinder. Numbers-wise and developemental-wise Cunningham is the better player, so that part may look bad. But KW has only been burned by one trade really in his tenure, so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt here. But Cunningham was one of my favs and I think this one bites us. Cunningham is a 20/20 CF who plays good D and Richar is a solid looking 2B.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)

I thought the same thing when I saw the reactions here. The only people feeling the impact are the players traded and their coaches.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
well Aaron Cunningham is a four-tool player who is what you would call a grinder. Numbers-wise and developemental-wise Cunningham is the better player, so that part may look bad. But KW has only been burned by one trade really in his tenure, so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt here. But Cunningham was one of my favs and I think this one bites us. Cunningham is a 20/20 CF who plays good D and Richar is a solid looking 2B.

Cunningham hasn't played CF all year.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)

For a team with a serious lack of minor league depth, we definitely have a right to feel slightly uncomfortable with this trade. Cunningham would be considered a better prospect than Richar in any circle, so this isn't something I will just shrug off. Granted Cunningham is young, but he's a career .300 hitter with improving power, and our outfield situation at the moment is quite sketchy. The only thing worse is our middle-infield, which obviously is why KW made the trade. That doesn't mean we have make a reach of a trade to fill the gaping hole. But I have a lot of trust in KWs talent evaluation, so I will wait and see how this one pans out. My initial reaction is disappointment.

Watched Danny a lot in Tucson this year. He has decent power (hit a 3 run triple last night). He has below average defense and makes a lot of stupid error's which is real frusterating. He also a very streaky hitter which can be good or bad, right now he is on a hot streak.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
seriously? I swore he was a CF, guess I was wrong. Still a very good hitting prospect, nonetheless, but does lessen his value somewhat.

I think he played it a bit in Bristol, but he barely played it in Kanny.

At 1st glance I'm not a fan of the deal. I think Cunningham is and always has been an underrated prospect. I think he's just one of those guys who is going to hit no matter where he is. He could be a guy who could hit for a good average at the major league level, in the Andre Ethier kind of mould. Plus he was always a favorite prospect of mine and most of the people here at Soxtalk, so it is kind of sad to see him go, after we pegged him as a sleeper as soon as he was drafted, and he didn't disappoint there.

On Richer, I'm a little suprised we would deal for this type of infielder. On the one hand he's got good speed (if he can learn to steal bases), and he flashes a bit of power which is good. However, his defense is not good, and for a team that is drafting a lot of groundball pitchers, to have Richter at second base if his defense doesn't improve significantly, is going to cause a lot of problems. This is of course if he actually ends up being our 2nd baseman in the future, he might be nothing more than a utility guy.

I think the Sox might be hoping Richar can turn into another Ray Durham type of second baseman. I think that's a bit optimistic though.

Nothing this crappy organization does shocks me. Aardsma was recalled even though his era is +6 at Charlotte.

What was the point of sending him down? He stunk in Chicago...was sent down for that....then he stunk at Charlotte....and was recalled. Yea, OK...Im so shocked this team is where it is.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
Nothing this crappy organization does shocks me. Aardsma was recalled even though his era is +6 at Charlotte.

What was the point of sending him down? He stunk in Chicago...was sent down for that....then he stunk at Charlotte....and was recalled. Yea, OK...Im so shocked this team is where it is.

Day got injured and Aardsma was the best option on the 40 man roster, which is full. Unless you want Vasquez up here, which is possible but might be a bit soon, he was the best option.