More detailed article on the KW/Ozzie/PK meeting

fathom

If any recalls, KW called Thome, Konerko and Dye in at about the deadline point last year and asked them if they needed any more help. They said no, and we know how that turned out. KW is not being a GM by doing this IMO. The team will fail and he'll look like a great guy going to his players and discussing it, but in reality he's a fool who if he wanted to win would have done something about it a while ago.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 04:48 AM)
I don't think the meeting is that bad.

I think it's good they included Konerko in it.

The article said other GMs are like vultures right now.

For now KW accepts Konerko's assertion the team hasn't given up and can still get it together.

That doesn't mean he's not going to consider possible trades to pull the trigger on before the deadline.

I think it's refreshing a player was included in the meeting.

Well said. Having Paulie in the meeting--who will be around for the next few years and has a stake in the sox future, as well as its present--was a good touch. Kw got the players perspective. That's good management, having input from its employees and listening to them. We all want to be included in major decisions.

As far as not trading away players--this meeting never dismisses that possibility. KW has over a month to give the players more time to play better. And the price for players usually goes up closest to the deadline.

Few people give them a chance. Yet it's a chance KW is giving the players that doesn't tie his hands. He still can and should trade guys if they play .500 ball from now until the deadline. That kind of faith, though--even if it's blind faith--will serve KW well as he tries to add free agents in the future. Thome, PK, Dye, Buehrle, Iguchi--these are all professionals and seemingly good guys---guys you'd want to sign with your team via free agency, and the type of players you want to attract to come play with you--deserve to treated with a measure of respect. Kw is treating them with respect by giving them the month to right the ship. If they don't no big deal.

But if KW had decided to sell off players this weekend and the sox went on a tear and were only a few games back by the deadline--now that kind of move could really hurt the kind of relationships with these professional good guys--and the kind of players the sox want to play here in the future, such as Ichiro.

I say no harm no foul. And KW should and will no doubt be looking to make deals for the future if the players are closer to last than first come the end of July.

Nothing personal, but you guys are a bunch of saps if you believe that is how the meeting went. You all are totally buying the company line, instead of thinking critically.

First of all, when has Kenny Williams ego ever let him sit down and talk to people like that? Hell he didn't even let Ozzie Guillen have his way with the roster out of spring training (as evidenced by guys like Brian Anderson being on it). Now we are supposed to believe that Kenny sat down with Paul Konerko and asked him what he thought of the roster? Bulls***. The only person KW asks for anything is Jerry Reinsdorf when he is asking for more money.

The conversation was probably closer to Kenny sitting down Pauly and saying listen, this is it.

"I have tried everything and so has Ozzie. Hell I tried to trade most of your sorry asses, but nobody wants to give me anything for you guys. This is it. If you guys don't get hot NOW, you are all headed out to the highest bidder, no matter how bad that bid is. Now go tell the rest of those b****es unless they want to be shipped out yesterday, wake the hell up."

Now that sounds like a Kenny Williams meeting, and not that PC BS that is in the Tribunes fluff piece.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)
The conversation was probably closer to Kenny sitting down Pauly and saying listen, this is it.

"I have tried everything and so has Ozzie. Hell I tried to trade most of your sorry asses, but nobody wants to give me anything for you guys. This is it. If you guys don't get hot NOW, you are all headed out to the highest bidder, no matter how bad that bid is. Now go tell the rest of those b****es unless they want to be shipped out yesterday, wake the hell up."

Now that sounds like a Kenny Williams meeting, and not that PC BS that is in the Tribunes fluff piece.

Couldn't agree more. KW told Paulie he's prolly the only one he wasn't trading :P

If only Contreras and Vazquez were pitching well enough to trade. Those two are complete albatrosses on next yr's payroll with absolutely zero hope of return.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:46 AM)
Kalapse I already admitted this in a previous post. I was unaware that KW asked him about this last year or in spring training. I think you just like to argue with me, which is cool with me, I don't mind.

Not everything is an arguement, perhaps you need to realize that. If you're going to be quoting my posts with an opposing view then there's a good chance you're going to get a response.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)
Inexcusable. An insult to fans that demand a winning product. Let's close our eyes and hope the peter pan and tinkerbell can revive our offense and magically fix the bullpen.

Why the hell is KW even asking Konerko for advice anyway? What the f*** is he supposed to say. As I wrote on my blog

Assuming KW meant everything he said in that article, and from the bit I saw on CSN, I'm now rooting for this team to lose until the deadline. Go ahead call me a bad fan.

I want a competitive team back on the field as soon as possible, and that isn't going to happen by waiting for the outfield fairies to get back.

you're a bad fan.

and work on your analogies.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
Or..

"Just because you have a cushy contract doesn't mean your ass is safe... "

Or..

"Paul, I got a bus to 'anywhere but here' with your name on it...pass it around"

Kenny is not afraid to trade anyone...trust me.

Another thing...

If someone is rooting for the White Sox to lose, that does not make them a bad White Sox fan.

They are just not a White Sox fan at all, good or bad. They should move on to another team.

The Brewers are in first place. The Cubs are hot (in the media) again. The Indians could use your cynicism.

Have fun.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
But they do make the rockin world go round!

I love it when you quote Queen :wub:

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
Or..

"Paul, I got a bus to 'anywhere but here' with your name on it...pass it around"

Kenny is not afraid to trade anyone...trust me.

Another thing...

If someone is rooting for the White Sox to lose, that does not make them a bad White Sox fan.

They are just not a White Sox fan at all, good or bad. They should move on to another team.

The Brewers are in first place. The Cubs are hot (in the media) again. The Indians could use your cynicism.

Have fun.

I love it when you quote Queen :wub:

[sigh] I will admit seeing my quote I am a little disappointed in myself for Kenny's rant not being a little more profanity laced, and not including the destruction of an innocent piece of furnature and/or meal.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
Another thing...

If you think that's true, then I'll counter that anyone who doesn't understand why a Sox fan would want them to lose right now doesn't understand baseball (or the Sox's front office).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
[sigh] I will admit seeing my quote I am a little disappointed in myself for Kenny's rant not being a little more profanity laced, and not including the destruction of an innocent piece of furnature and/or meal.

You think he threw Ozzie's sushi at Paulie? :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)

It was pregame. The tables and food weren't out yet.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
If you think that's true, then I'll counter that anyone who doesn't understand why a Sox fan would want them to lose right now doesn't understand baseball (or the Sox's front office).

I'm mad. Im pissed off at them. I hate they way they are playing. Kenny needs to get pissed and do what he needs to do to right the ship and make sure its set for the future.

But I will never seriously root for my team to LOSE. EVER

That is someone who never understood baseball or what it means to be a fan. I'm sorry.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
I'm mad. Im pissed off at them. I hate they way they are playing. Kenny needs to get pissed and do what he needs to do to right the ship and make sure its set for the future.

But I will never seriously root for my team to LOSE.

I thought we had covered what we meant. Even though I said I'm rooting for them to lose, I'm not happy if they lose. Rather, it's more of an acceptance that them losing is the best thing that could happen. I was thrilled with Saturday night's game with Buehrle and Fields playing well.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
I thought we had covered what we meant. Even though I said I'm rooting for them to lose, I'm not happy if they lose. Rather, it's more of an acceptance that them losing is the best thing that could happen. I was thrilled with Saturday night's game with Buehrle and Fields playing well.

I see you position man. Your pissed...I'm pissed. All I'm saying is never root for your team to lose. Get pissed. Boo the hell out of them. Throw your remote at the TV. Rant.

Never, though, cheer for the other team to beat your team.

Boo your team...Boo their team.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
I see you position man. Your pissed...I'm pissed. All I'm saying is never root for your team to lose. Get pissed. Boo the hell out of them. Throw your remote at the TV. Rant.

Never, though, cheer for the other team to beat your team.

Boo your team...Boo their team.

Trust me, I'm not sitting around hoping that Dontrelle no-hits us tonight, etc. It's more like how I was unable to watch the games from this past wknd, but when I went and checked the score and saw we lost, I wasn't even mad. It was more like "oh well, at least this will speed up the fire sale".

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
Trust me, I'm not sitting around hoping that Dontrelle no-hits us tonight, etc. It's more like how I was unable to watch the games from this past wknd, but when I went and checked the score and saw we lost, I wasn't even mad. It was more like "oh well, at least this will speed up the fire sale".

Man I was feeling the same thing this weekend.