Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
Fathom...any inside info on that offer? Or just pure speculation on your part?

Nah, a tiny bit of information combined with speculation combined with common sense. After last year, I think it's very telling when you see our top scout at a particular game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
Nah, a tiny bit of information combined with speculation combined with common sense. After last year, I think it's very telling when you see our top scout at a particular game.

I know I'd love Ethier and Billingsley but I also must admit I'm really starting to dig my Betemeit and Kemp for Dye move.

Not that it means anything, but I was out with my buddies last night, a couple of which are huge Dodger fans and they were mentioning how they've been reading the Sox as potential trade options and they all agreed that they would probably do that deal (especially when compared to what they would have to give up to get a guy like Tex).

Oh and as usual Kalapse, you were right, I dug around to see if Tex signed some special clause and couldn't find anything so Tex is arbitration eligible next year so the Dodgers would hold his rights.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)
I don't like it at all when deadlines are given. It doesn't help things.

It's a public relations thing for the Sox, because if they can't get a contract agreed up in the next 24 hours, they can tell the fans that they gave him the chance to re-sign, but they just were too far apart on the numbers. My biggest fear with this situation is that we trade Buehrle and end up keeping Contreras for the next two years and also have to get rid of Garland this offseason. I highly doubt KW will put himself in another situation like this year where he has to deal with all these rumors during the season about whether or not the player will be re-signed, traded, or finish the year with no contract.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
I know I'd love Ethier and Billingsley but I also must admit I'm really starting to dig my Betemeit and Kemp for Dye move.

Not that it means anything, but I was out with my buddies last night, a couple of which are huge Dodger fans and they were mentioning how they've been reading the Sox as potential trade options and they all agreed that they would probably do that deal (especially when compared to what they would have to give up to get a guy like Tex).

Oh and as usual Kalapse, you were right, I dug around to see if Tex signed some special clause and couldn't find anything so Tex is arbitration eligible next year so the Dodgers would hold his rights.

Kemp will never play for the White Sox. Also, Dye's quad isn't responding to treatment right now, so it's likely he'd never pass a physical.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a public relations thing for the Sox, because if they can't get a contract agreed up in the next 24 hours, they can tell the fans that they gave him the chance to re-sign, but they just were too far apart on the numbers. My biggest fear with this situation is that we trade Buehrle and end up keeping Contreras for the next two years and also have to get rid of Garland this offseason. I highly doubt KW will put himself in another situation like this year where he has to deal with all these rumors during the season about whether or not the player will be re-signed, traded, or finish the year with no contract.

Kemp will never play for the White Sox. Also, Dye's quad isn't responding to treatment right now, so it's likely he'd never pass a physical.

Why would Kemp never play for the Sox? Because he took a swing at the Birmingham manager? Ridiculous.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
If JR really ok'd four years, and Buehrle is asking for $14 million per and not going to demand pushing this to five years, the sides have to be too close together for this not to get done.

I will bet that the 5th year is a sticking point. Not because the Sox won't go there, but it's probably one of those team vs. player vs. mutual options and the money involved. Maybe not sticking point, but negotiation point.

And I have nothing to back this up, just a hunch.

Just speculating, but I wonder if Buehrle will ask for a no trade clause or limited no trade clause (ie, Buehrle can only be traded to teams in St. Louis). If I were him and had a child on the way, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to stay in one place. I believe the "Trade and Sign" stuff is just Soxtalk speculation, but White Sox generally do not have a problem at least giving limited no trade clauses.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just speculating, but I wonder if Buehrle will ask for a no trade clause or limited no trade clause (ie, Buehrle can only be traded to teams in St. Louis). If I were him and had a child on the way, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to stay in one place. I believe the "Trade and Sign" stuff is just Soxtalk speculation, but White Sox generally do not have a problem at least giving limited no trade clauses.

He definitely should. That should be a no brainer. I highly doubt that would even be a sticking point.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The White Sox will never take on Kemp and his attitude issues.

Can you please explain what his attitude issues are. A fight against another team is hardly what I would call an attitude issue. I can't find anything that states that he is difficult or hard to coach or a bad person in the locker room. What exactly are you talking about?

Give mark 14 per year for 5 years and sign the damn doc. Trade away the count to make some salary room and bring up Floyd. Done and done. We will have 2-3 minimum salary pitchers in our rotation for the next few years, no reason not to keep Mark.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Oh come on. The Score reported it was done, or close to being done, but at least they knew something was happening. I guarantee you that AM 1000 and Bruuuuuuuce Levine knew something was going on as well, but wanted to make the Score look as poorly as possible in breaking the story and trying to scoop them. Thus, they get the most polar opposite quote (from Mark's agent) they can and repeat IT all day.

So basically we had two radio stations yesterday, one saying a deal was practically done, and the other pretending as though absolutely nothing was going on. And both were dead wrong, and probably knew as much. They're like two stubborn kids refusing to share.

:cheers

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
Can you please explain what his attitude issues are. A fight against another team is hardly what I would call an attitude issue. I can't find anything that states that he is difficult or hard to coach or a bad person in the locker room. What exactly are you talking about?

Nope, I'll just go with what I was directly told, and that is in regards to Kemp being a massive asshole and the Sox would never welcome him into their organization.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
Sox will not resign him and will say at least they tried speech!

Yep, and at least that will speed up the decision to trade him. They can't let this situation loom over the organization for another month.

I've always thought the word asshole's treatment by filters and television censors to be funny.

The "ass" part is okay, but the "hole" has to go.

And yeah, Kemp's not coming here. A Billingsley/Ethier trade might work very well, if we can't keep Buehrle.