Your one stop shop for rumors

Al Lopez's Ghost

Thinking about how close we were to resigning MB for such a nice hometown discount is frustrating. I know its their policy but when you have a guy that has been such a great team mate, leader and work horse for a franchise you should do things to keep them there. Especially when they come at such a discount.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
If we get Kemp for Buerhle, trade Mark and then give him his no trade once he is a free agent at the end of the season, and give up your second round pick to re-sign him.

I can't see there being anyway Buehrle returns to the Sox, if we trade him. And at the small chance that would happen, there's no way we'd get him for as cheap as they're going now.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 08:30 AM)
I can't see there being anyway Buehrle returns to the Sox, if we trade him. And at the small chance that would happen, there's no way we'd get him for as cheap as they're going now.

Summed up perfectly. If Buehrle hits the FA market, the contract he's going to receive will be 7 yrs/~100 million. We'll never give up that type of money.

That being said, Kemp would be a very nice return for a three month rental of Buehrle. Our OF for the immediate future is an absolute mess, and Kemp would plug a hole in either left or right. It would also be fairly easy to acquire Betemit as well considering his value right now is next to nothing. A B-level prospect (around the value of McCulloch) with Buehrle could get you a very good return.

Give him the no trade clause.

Usually if a pitcher is doing badly and/or a team wants to dump him, the player will OK

a deal if it's somewhere liveable.

I mean he deserves a no trade to protect him against being shipped to Pittsburgh or somewhere

like that.

Great article. I liked those rumors.

I would love Fukodome. I've been reading about him recently and he sounds like a massive upgrade over anyone we have on the horizon.

I'd be in support of Castillo/Hudson and maybe Bourn also.

As far as Buehrle goes obviously we all want him to re-sign but Kemp would be good to get in return if KW and JR don't take the rods out of their a***s in regards to the no trade.

I'd absolutely love Orlando Hudson, he's the best defensive secondbaseman in the game, will only be 30 next year, has good contact, decent power, pretty good speed and good plate discipline. I don't know what the hell they'd want for him but I could definitely see KW being interested in the O-Dog.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
I'd absolutely love Orlando Hudson, he's the best defensive secondbaseman in the game, will only be 30 next year, has good contact, decent power, pretty good speed and good plate discipline. I don't know what the hell they'd want for him but I could definitely see KW being interested in the O-Dog.

Agreed on Mr. Hudson, I've always been a fan.

I must admit that Michael Bourn intrigues me. I don't know a ton about him but just looking at his stats, he's very interesting. Seems like he has a solid batting eye and he can definitely steal a base. Any idea how high the Phillies are on this guy? Is he a possible Rowand replacement for them?

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Agreed on Mr. Hudson, I've always been a fan.

I must admit that Michael Bourn intrigues me. I don't know a ton about him but just looking at his stats, he's very interesting. Seems like he has a solid batting eye and he can definitely steal a base. Any idea how high the Phillies are on this guy? Is he a possible Rowand replacement for them?

The Phillies were allegedly scouting Marks last start along with the Dodgers. I saw on foxsports yesterday where the Phillies might be offerin a package of Carrasco, Bourn/Victorino, and a B level prospect for Willis. Not sure what they would give up for Mark, but I would certainly be interested in that type of package.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)

That makes two of us (3 if you count Rowand44 :D )...

It said he is unhappy in Arizona... why is that?

Does anyone really think Jon Garland (27 yo, 3.15 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 142 ERA+) is going to accept a 4 year $14M per deal like Buehrle? Mark is making some HUGE concessions here both in terms of years and dollars, what makes anyone think Jon Garland is going to do the same? I really don't think there's a chance in he does which means he probably won't be with the team beyond 2008.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
Does anyone really think Jon Garland (27 yo, 3.15 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 142 ERA+) is going to accept a 4 year $14M per deal like Buehrle? Mark is making some HUGE concessions here both in terms of years and dollars, what makes anyone think Jon Garland is going to do the same? I really don't think there's a chance in he does which means he probably won't be with the team beyond 2008.
Its possible, but after what Buehrle has went thru, it seems like a long shot. The Sox will probably only have 2 of the 3 out of Buehrle, Garland, and Vazuqez after 2008.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)

He better not, ide rather see my boy get paid like he deserves than take some short cheapened shenanigans that KW would try to pull with him..

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)

I second that. A team built on pitching needs good up the middle defense and the O-Dog would provide just that. Mix him with Uribe (or another person) and you may have the best up the middle defense in baseball.

Plus as a second baseman he isn't going to get a fact contract and if the Dbacks are that frustrated we could maybe get him on the cheap.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
the only problem with that is that Buehrle is also our only real trading chip for top talent. Unless KW decides to deal Jenks.

Actually any of the signed pitchers - Garland or Vasquez - would likely bring a lot more than a rent of Buehrle

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
Actually any of the signed pitchers - Garland or Vasquez - would likely bring a lot more than a rent of Buehrle

Is it safe to assume that if the Sox don't re-sing Buehrle, they're better off looking to trade every starter except Jenks? With the money owed to some players on this team, letting Buehrle go creates a gaping hole that will cost a lot of $$$ to fill.

If the Sox do keep Buehrle, I'd only trade COntreras and bult around a pretty damn good rotation.

Of course knowing, KW he'll fine the middle ground. But the team has enough holes that can be filled by trading a Garland or Vazquez since they're under long term deals.

Bob

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)

Call me crazy, but I think the org. likes Jon Garland better and would rather sign him long term and give him the NTC.

It just seems to me that writting has been on the wall with the Danks and Gio trades, and then the drafting of Poreda.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
Is it safe to assume that if the Sox don't re-sing Buehrle, they're better off looking to trade every starter except Jenks? With the money owed to some players on this team, letting Buehrle go creates a gaping hole that will cost a lot of $$$ to fill.

If the Sox do keep Buehrle, I'd only trade COntreras and bult around a pretty damn good rotation.

Of course knowing, KW he'll fine the middle ground. But the team has enough holes that can be filled by trading a Garland or Vazquez since they're under long term deals.

Bob

I hope you meant except Danks, and yes, trade them all if you can get value. Even of they do sign Buerhle I would be up for trading all three of the other starters and keep the two lefties. Garland will fetch a nice package and the Sox will not resign him once he hits free agency, he will want too much money over too many years for JR to approve the deal. Trade him now while he has value. I am concerned about trading Contreras as his value is at an all time low since he came to the Sox, but if you can get a piece or two, like what Tampa when they traded Huff, fillers that can play on the major league level, you have to do it and pocket the savings for signing bonuses in next years draft. Vazquez could probably fetch a nice package from his old buddy Omar in NY.

Pitching is what wins games and you build your team around. If you have stars like Buerhle and Garland you keep them and add youth around the experienced winners that you have. Vazquez is another real good one, but I think it's a toss up whether he gets traded or not. The guy has so much potential and we are starting to see some real great outings from him. Ifg any pitcher gets traded I think its Contreras to the Mets. Buerhle will sign that extension and stay with the Sox. I like Dye also, but whether the Sox try and keep him is a real question. He is having a down year like so many others on this team and I think he can still hit like he did last year and in 2005. You can't say he is washed up when his numbers are really no worse than Konerko's and Thome's.