Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 03:32 AM)
What didnt you like about it? It was my fav movie of 2008 (so far). It just seemed after all the crap the kid went through (even literally!) that the ending was way deserved.

I didn't think it was a bad movie. I guess it was just too hyped by friends/family by the time I saw it. I enjoyed the story but thought the last two minutes was a bit corny. That and the music video at the end :)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movies I've seen recently...

Ghost Town 5/10

In Bruges 6/10

The Visitor 7/10

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 6/10

I still need to see a few more movies from 2008 before giving a top 10 list or anything but I think this has been a down year for movies. I could name about 5 movies from 2007 that I liked more than any 1 film from 2008.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 02:51 AM)
Saw Slumdog today. It was decent. I didn't like the end however. It was good but not great.

I also thought it was a bit overrated and over-hyped. It was still a good movie and I'd recommend people to see it. I just don't think it deserves all the buzz it's getting. A solid "B".

QUOTE (The Bones @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Movies I've seen recently...

Ghost Town 5/10

In Bruges 6/10

The Visitor 7/10

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 6/10

I still need to see a few more movies from 2008 before giving a top 10 list or anything but I think this has been a down year for movies. I could name about 5 movies from 2007 that I liked more than any 1 film from 2008.

I completely disagree.

Like I said I have yet to see quite a few movies including...

Slumdog Millionaire

Milk

The Reader

Revolutionary Road

The Wrestler

So maybe the great movies are just taking longer to get anywhere near me this year. The only two movies I have seen that have been worth all the buzz are The Dark Knight and WALL-E. Even they hype surrounding those two is a little much. IMDb currently has them ranked #5 and #35 respectively. Really...they're good but not that good.

The Visitor and Happy-Go-Lucky are a couple of movies that have gone under the radar that I found rewarding. So this year has not been terrible or anything. It's just nothing matches up with the great movies of 2007 for me yet.

QUOTE (TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
The movie Taken with Liam Neeson was a really solid spy thriller.

I never thought of Liam Neeson as an action star, but also didn't as far as Matt Damon goes and I liked the Bourne movies.

Took me a couple of glimpses to recognize his daughter was the girl from LOST.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)
Is that out already? The preview looked really good.

not yet...but you can watch it online, because it came out everywhere in August of 2008...except USA. I watched in August, but I recently caught a better version online.

Watching Clint in Gran Torino kind of made me feel like when I spend time with my grandparents,I just try to soak it all in cause you know it something special and that nothing lasts forever. What an amazing film.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
I watched 1408 last night. It was so bland that I can hardly remember watching it.

I saw Slumdog Millionaire earlier today. It was a very good movie, but I'm not sure it deserved to win Best Picture, which it did just now on the Golden Globes.

which did out of nominees? just curious what you think, I thought it would be either slumdog, revolutionary road, or benjamin button.

QUOTE (TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
which did out of nominees? just curious what you think, I thought it would be either slumdog, revolutionary road, or benjamin button.

I still haven't seen Frost/Nixon, and I won't be seeing The Reader or Revolutionary Road. So, I'm not sure about those three. The movie just didn't give me a "Best Picture" vibe. I mean, it was good, but not great.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
I still haven't seen Frost/Nixon, and I won't be seeing The Reader or Revolutionary Road. So, I'm not sure about those three. The movie just didn't give me a "Best Picture" vibe. I mean, it was good, but not great.

I take the Golden Globes with a grain of salt. They have way too many meaningless categories.

Revolutionary Road maybe good. Mendes makes me wanna see it. The guy makes great movies. If I wasn't busy Wed, on my day off, I'd go check one of Wrestler, Road, Torino, or Slumdog.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
I take the Golden Globes with a grain of salt. They have way too many meaningless categories.

Revolutionary Road maybe good. Mendes makes me wanna see it. The guy makes great movies. If I wasn't busy Wed, on my day off, I'd go check one of Wrestler, Road, Torino, or Slumdog.

I'd check the internets for The Wrestler and/or Slumdog as there are really good versions out there

Not that I know or anything...just saying....

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
I'd check the internets for The Wrestler and/or Slumdog as there are really good versions out there

Not that I know or anything...just saying....

There's something about watching it on a big screen with the sound of a projector faintly in the background that I love.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
There's something about watching it on a big screen with the sound of a projector faintly in the background that I love.

+1

Besides, I like to support oscar-worthy films and download the garbage films out there like Transformers, etc.