Our 2008 Outfield

JohnCangelosi

If you look at our outfield today (Owens, Gonzalez, Mackowiak, Dye and Terrero)

Mackowiak is not a bad backup, and I have to believe Dye is going to have a few more decent years in him despite his horrible performance this year.

Let's face it- almost NONE of these guys belong on a big league roster. Not even the Pirates, Royals (or White Sox LOL)

So, my question posed to this forum, is, (keeping in mind our budget constraints) what does your IDEAL outfield look like in 2008??

I haven't looked hard at the FA class but clearly we're going to need to do something there. Otherwise we're looking at Pods and Erstad again...

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Mackowiak back and if Dye would agree to a 2 yr deal for about 6-7 M per we'd have to think about it considering how ridiculous the FA market is getting. (not going to happen)

I realize its sexy now to bash Dye but my guess is the guy has been pretty hurt and is now just starting to show some signs of being back to his old self.

Anyway, do you have Sweeney and Anderson playing next year along with a FA signing? Our outfield is so horrible right now it's embarassing to march out guys like Owens, Terrero or Gonzalez (and Dye all year as well unfortunately)...

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think we can afford and what would your ideal outfield look like next year???

Edited by JohnCangelosi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
Sweeney, Anderson, and Hunter. Let them fight it out for CF.

That's brutal, not going to happen. The one lock for our of next year might be Rowand. I honestly don't see Sweeney out there next season as he's not getting any PT right now. Maybe a Jenkins/Rowand/player acquired in trade, something like that.

If no one is brought in, you have to think that it comes from Fields, Owens, Anderson, and Sweeney. Sweeney I'd say is a virtual lock to take over one of those spots next year. Fields will be up somewhere, and might play some OF if Crede comes back for a few months to try to rebuild his trade value. Owens hasn't been as bad as he could be during this callup, he's almost up to hitting .250, and if he can do that, I'll take him over Podsednik. It'd still be nice to get something, somehow out of Anderson, given that he was a #1 pick and does have a bunch of unrealized potential, but his injuries this season havne't helped the cause.

The best possible situation for the Sox would be to have the OF be Owens, Anderson, Sweeney, and then to have all 3 of them actually earn their starting positions. But the odds are that we're going to need at least 1 more person brought in, esp. if the organization has decided, as some have stated, that Anderson will never play for the Sox again.

I think our #1 priority right now has to be to find another SS. If some of our OF guys struggle, at least there's a line waiting to replace them. But right now we don't have anyone to take over SS from Uribe, and that's becoming more and more of a problem.

That a great question. With Ichiro off the market, FA isn't much of an avenue for Kenny to explore. Rowand's looking to get overpaid with 10 mil a yr and Hunter will cost 14 mil for at least 5 yrs per so no thank you.

With that in mind, I'm sure the Sox will go cheap and bring back his Royal Grindness Erstad for CF, his Royal DL Podsednik for LF and let Anderson, Sweeney and Owens duke it out for RF in Spring Training.

Now what would I do? I'd offer Hunter a 3 yr deal with a 4th yr option worth 43-46 mil and see where that leads. Sign back Crede to play 3B and try out Fields in LF and let Anderson, Sweeney and Owens battle it out for RF. If Hunter goes to another team, Mike Cameron wouldn't be a bad fit either and he'd be cheaper than the passion, I mean, Aaron Rowand.

You can keep Mack and Pods for some hitting/speed off the bench but if they start more than twice a week, you know we're really screwed.

Edited by Allsox

Not saying Jerry owens is an answer to an OF spot for next year, but he's quietly hitting .320 this month. Also, Sweeney has picked it up some and is hitting near .300 in Charlotte now. Also, concerning Sweeney, I think people fail to realize sometimes that he is still only 22. His power numbers still arent great and probably never will be, but considering he's been rushed at almost every level so far, we can not assume that he will nto develop power. I'm still not too worried abotu Sweeney not realizing his potential. To me, he still looks like he can become a quality major leaguer. With that said, he should be up here playing in RF every day as soon as we trade away Jermaine Dye.

I am looking forward to seeing Sweeney in the OF next year, where I think he is very likely to be.

Dye is likely gone, but not 100% just yet. If Dye is available for a below market offer (at or below his current 6M), and nothing else is easily available, don't be surprised if he is back. Not likely, but still possible.

The big question is CF. Please, please, please... no Erstad. At least not as a starter. Rowand would be great, to a point - $10M is too much though.

Mack, Ozuna and even Erstad are fine as backups. But nothing more.

I am hoping for something like Jackson(Conor)-Rowand-Sweeney, where that LF spot could be Jackson or someone else we get via trade or FA with a significant bat. Sweeney-Rowand-Dye would maybe be acceptable, if Dye improves and is willing to sign for something similar to his current salary (leaving money for a big splash middle infielder perhaps). I am assuming Ichiro is off the market now, and he was a stretch anyway.

The one thing I'll say on Sweeney though, is that if he is on one corner, the other corner OF needs to be a power bat.

Since I don't see the Sox offering a multi-year deal at 3/24 or more, I would hope that the Sox offer arbitration to Dye. In the unlikely event that he accepts it, that would be a good low-risk stop-gap. If not, I seriously hope that KW can sign a halfway decent veteran FA.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
Not saying Jerry owens is an answer to an OF spot for next year, but he's quietly hitting .320 this month.

It's easy to miss that, but I have been impressed with Owens lately. I would rather see him in LF that CF though. His defense is only a slight upgrade on Pods.

I really, really dislike the idea of giving Rowand what his market value will be after this season.

I agree, He has had 2 seasons where he was hitting well. Decent Def.. And Avg player about to get more than Garland or Mark.. NO thanks.

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
I agree, He has had 2 seasons where he was hitting well. Decent Def.. And Avg player about to get more than Garland or Mark.. NO thanks.

Does anyone else like the idea of paying $10 mil a year for an OF with a .750 OPS, who will hit 30 next year? I just don't see him actually being the .900 OPS guy he is this year or was in 2003.

Does anyone else like the idea of paying $10 mil a year for an OF with a .750 OPS, who will hit 30 next year? I just don't see him actually being the .900 OPS guy he is this year or was in 2003.

With the current market value.. I think 10mil might be the bargain price we get him at. Other teams.. ie the ones don't land Hunter will go even higher.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
I really, really dislike the idea of giving Rowand what his market value will be after this season.

He currently has the highest OPS of any CF in the game (.934). Aaron could cash in big time this offseason with a deal even higher than what Gary Matthews Jr. pulled in last offseason (5 years, $50M). They're similar defensively, putting up similar offensive numbers (Rowand's are better) and Aaron is 3 years younger.

It would be a real shame if the Sox ended up paying the full one year wonder price for a guy who has spent most of his career being a pretty average ballplayer.

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
With the current market value.. I think 10mil might be the bargain price we get him at. Other teams.. ie the ones don't land Hunter will go even higher.

If hunter is going to be 12-14 Mil per year at 5 years or so there is no way Rowand gets more than $10. You should be able to get both rowand and Byrnes for something between $8-$10 per year (backloaded).

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 12:46 AM)
We've got to add Hunter.

We should have signed Soriano last offseason.

He would have looked good in a Sox uniform.

You wouldn't be saying this in years 5, 6, 7 and 8 of that $140M+ (you have to outbid the Cubs) deal. Soriano would mean no Buehrle and having that albatross of a deal on the books for the next 8 seasons would make it pretty damn impossible for the Sox to the other 18 or so holes they currently have.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 04:12 AM)
LF - Josh Fields

CF - Ryan Sweeney/Brian Anderson

RF - Kosuke Fukudome (2006 Japan League MVP; free agent who wants to play in US next year - no posting fee)

or

LF - Josh Fields

CF - Aaron Rowand

RF - Sweeney/Anderson

I'm fairly certain Fields will not be in the outfield in 2008.