Iguchi Traded to Phillies for RP/SP Michael Dubee

IlliniKrush

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)
Dubee might also be part of a bigger package before the deadline, too. Ya never know.

Oh grief, can we please stop this line of thinking now. We kept saying this about every guy we acquired last offseason, and rarely does that quick turnaround happen.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
I know, and I expect Ozuna to platoon with him next year. I'd be fine with that platoon. However, you and I both know that the expectations people have for our return package in trades is insane. In all honesty, the only two players we could trade that would really piss me off if we don't get good value for are Garland and Vazquez (or if we trade Dye to the Cubs).

I've been thinking the same thing about a platoon with Ozuna and Richar. If we don't acquire anyone, I could see them being our leadoff duo.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
This trade wasn't about what we got back - it's about opening the position for Richar. To think, we'd get anything more than a mid-level (if he's even that) prospect for a struggling player on the last year of his contract is unrealistic, and wishful thinking. Hopefully, the White Sox are smart enough to get an extended look at Richar for the remainder of the season.

I couldn't agree more.... everyone clamoring about KW only getting Dubee back from Philly is overvaluing Iguchi's worth.

Bottom line: Gooch had almost negative value at this point. his offensive and defensive play suffered greatly this year, and the only reason there was a market for him was because he isn't guaranteed money after 07 and there was an injury.

I'll miss you, you crazy ninja bastard.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
Oh grief, can we please stop this line of thinking now. We kept saying this about every guy we acquired last offseason, and rarely does that quick turnaround happen.

So are you saying that it couldn't happen? Because, well, it can. Not saying it will...but it can.

I for one will miss the gooch. However bad he has been this year (which is worse than I would like to admit) I still think he's better than half of the 2nd baseman out there and is a nice pickup for the phils right now. Going to the NL and getting into a nice lineup should provid a solid lift to iguchi and I could see iguchi putting up better numbers this next month than anything he did for us this year or lately.

So long iguchi, I was all over your bandwagon when you got here and will support you a bit longer. But as of now I will probably be going to danks=dank until kenny unloads him because of an insane market in 5 yrs for a load of buttcrack sweat. THANKS FOR 2005!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
You mean we didn't get back Howard in the deal? LAME.....

I don't know what most expected. Would have been nice to get something a little more exciting, but the price for an mediocre hitting, declining defense and 32 year old 2b is not great.

The price is higher than a reliever with unimpressive numbers in low-A ball.

I don't think ML scouts ever really liked Iguchi, that is why he ended up with the sox in the first place for way less money than everyone thought he would get from NY or the Mariners.

Iguchi was one of my favorite players though, glad I never got the st. pats jersey with Iguchi yet.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
My Dad hates this trade, and he is uaully right about this stuff... hopefully he is wrong this time.

Depending on how the draft pick issue works out, this is a hard trade to "Hate". Hating a deal is what you do when you give up Liriano, Bonser, and Nathan for Pierzynski, or Kazmir for V. Zambrano. It's not like we're giving up a ton here, we're just not getting a ton back.

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
We could also trade him straight up for A-rod to play SS.. Both are unlikely to happen though.

This is the kind of no-name throw-in that gets tossed into trades. No where did I ever say Team X told us, we will send you "Best Player on our Team" but you have to get Michael Dubee. DAMMIT PEOPLE!!! If someone has an opinion, it's just that, an opinion. Not fact.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)

I don't know what most expected. Would have been nice to get something a little more exciting, but the price for an mediocre hitting, declining defense and 32 year old 2b is not great.

Wrong. The correct answer is: Kenny's a big dummy poopy-head.

Come on, man, get with the program! :stick

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Depending on how the draft pick issue works out, this is a hard trade to "Hate". Hating a deal is what you do when you give up Liriano, Bonser, and Nathan for Pierzynski, or Kazmir for V. Zambrano. It's not like we're giving up a ton here, we're just not getting a ton back.

well, hate is the wrong word. I should say he things it is very stupid and a bad trade.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
I know, and I expect Ozuna to platoon with him next year. I'd be fine with that platoon. However, you and I both know that the expectations people have for our return package in trades is insane. In all honesty, the only two players we could trade that would really piss me off if we don't get good value for are Garland and Vazquez (or if we trade Dye to the Cubs).

I'm one of those expecting insane returns for certain packages -- but only for those with value. As you said, if Garland or Vazquez are traded for practically nothing I'll never let it go. It'll be "Where's our Liriano" squared.

Even as I said earlier in the thread, I'm not going to be too upset. Even with Iguchi's limited production and contract status, I would have atleast expected a positional player. Not going to dwell on this trade, though.

How I assess most trades is I try to turn the table around. If Williams lost his All-Star second baseman and didn't have a viable option within, would he have given up a 21 year old reliever for several months of Tadahito Iguchi? I'm not sure he would have.

I guess this once again proves the notion of teams being "desperate" near the trading deadline is false. Atleast when it concerns the White Sox. Because it's not possible to be more desperate than the Phillies were.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)

I didn't expect a position prospect but it would have been nice.

A-level shortstop, maybe? Another contender for the future outfield?

I know pitching wins championships and so on, but it'd be nice to have some position depth as well.

What kind of deal is this? This is not a good trade IMO and I am not sure just how this is supposed to be helping us unless we sign Dye and Crede. We trade a pretty good 2Bman and keep an overweight underperforming SS? I wonder if there was ever any thought or effort to keep Tad?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
The price is higher than a reliever with unimpressive numbers in low-A ball.

how do you know? Been talking with some GM's lately or something?

I know we all like to pretend to be GM's, but odds are we weren't getting offered a whole lot for Iguchi. If we did get offered something good, shame on KW for passing it up.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
well, hate is the wrong word. I should say he things it is very stupid and a bad trade.

Understood, but like I said, the down side of this deal, unless Tad could somehow have brought A level draft compensation, is minimal. If nothing else, the Sox save a $ million or so and open up a slot for Richar. So even if it was a bad trade and is stupid, it doesn't hurt us that much.

Just would have been nice to get someone with a little bit better prospects to make it to MLB eventuall.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
What kind of deal is this? This is not a good trade IMO and I am not sure just how this is supposed to be helping us unless we sign Dye and Crede. We trade a pretty good 2Bman and keep an overweight underperforming SS? I wonder if there was ever any thought or effort to keep Tad?

who said we are planning on keeping Uribe? It seems like from what I have read/heard is that Kenny really wants to find a replacement SS.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
Understood, but like I said, the down side of this deal, unless Tad could somehow have brought A level draft compensation, is minimal. If nothing else, the Sox save a $ million or so and open up a slot for Richar. So even if it was a bad trade and is stupid, it doesn't hurt us that much.

Just would have been nice to get someone with a little bit better prospects to make it to MLB eventuall.

It only hurts if we would have got draft picks and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have (despite what rotoworld says).