sox can still trade jose

beleiveinbrian44

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
I'm probably one of the very few who think Contreras can bounce back from this. But I'd give him a few starts off. I still think this whole smuggling thing is weighing on him. But as the post above says, Gavin Floyd and Charlie Haeger will hardly make you forget Jose Contreras.

atleast they have some type of future in professional baseball though

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
I'm probably one of the very few who think Contreras can bounce back from this. But I'd give him a few starts off. I still think this whole smuggling thing is weighing on him. But as the post above says, Gavin Floyd and Charlie Haeger will hardly make you forget Jose Contreras.

I agree. Floyd really makes me sick. Oh well, we tried.

I honestly wish Cooper would take away all the damn arm angles and just get Jose throwing over the top again. And let him throw the damn forkball every other pitch for all I care.

I hope that over the offseason when similarly sucky starting pitchers are getting paid out the butthole someone comes along and offers to take Jose off our hands. I could see a lot of teams thinking Jose will never get his velocity back as a starter, but I wonder if over the offseason someone will take a shot at him as a setup man or a closer? I know the Mets have Shoenweis who I think is making $2million or more for a couple of years, and Baltimore has some bad contracts in their pen as well, so maybe the Sox can do something where they give up one of our cheap bullpen arms, assume a bad contract, and then pay $3million or so per season? Because if that could happen, some team would essentially be adding only $4-5million or so to the payroll, equally replace or upgrade their worst bullpen pitcher, and pick up a project.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but looking at the contracts the Weaver and Suppan got (yes Suppan, who is not the no. 2 starter he's being paid like) gives me some hope. Maybe we could even throw in Floyd and Bukvich and call it the dogs*** special.

On Mike North this morning they were talking about how Jose is still going through a divorce and has been since opening day. I kinda feel for him now.. I say send him down to AAA or shut him down completely for at least august and see what he can do when hes back.

just get the divorce over with.

QUOTE(bkmoney @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
On Mike North this morning they were talking about how Jose is still going through a divorce and has been since opening day. I kinda feel for him now.. I say send him down to AAA or shut him down completely for at least august and see what he can do when hes back.

Total BS excuse. I can see the divorce making him pitch poorly (which he is), but you don't lose velocity due to it. If the divorce is on his mind then I could see him making bad pitces, but not 87mph bad pitches. The guy is done, put a fork in him.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 07:17 AM)
I agree. Floyd really makes me sick. Oh well, we tried.

I honestly wish Cooper would take away all the damn arm angles and just get Jose throwing over the top again. And let him throw the damn forkball every other pitch for all I care.

I think the reason he's not is because either he's got a hammy (leg) injury or a back problem - he can't push off to get over the top like he was before he went on the DL last season.

QUOTE(bkmoney @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:09 AM)

The divorce has been going on since before Christmas and from rumors, it's a doosey and not expected to end soon, or nicely. However, that's not an excuse. Other players have dealt with much worse and held it together between the lines.

Put Jose in the pen for the remainder of the year - they need the help anyway. And let Floyd start. If we are going to have a crappy starter, let's at least let it be Floyd the rest of the year, so we can see if he has the mental stuff do get it done. This year should be a tryout anyway, at this point.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:41 PM)
Put Jose in the pen for the remainder of the year - they need the help anyway. And let Floyd start. If we are going to have a crappy starter, let's at least let it be Floyd the rest of the year, so we can see if he has the mental stuff do get it done. This year should be a tryout anyway, at this point.

He doesn't work well out of the pen. He pretty much just needs shut down at this point.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
He doesn't work well out of the pen. He pretty much just needs shut down at this point.

He's not working well anywhere at this point. Though I am not in favor of tossing $10mil out in the pen to rot - because that is what will happen if he's put out there. Examine him... and hope he's got MINOR soreness somewhere. Give him some shots, rehab him, something, anything! But to give away a game every 5th day is bulls***, and that's what's happening now.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)

Fine, shut him down, or do what Steff said. I was more getting at the point that Floyd or Haeger should be the #5 for the rest of the season (and not just one or two starts either - I mean all of August and September, a real legitimate look).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:41 AM)
And let Floyd start. If we are going to have a crappy starter, let's at least let it be Floyd the rest of the year, so we can see if he has the mental stuff do get it done. This year should be a tryout anyway, at this point.
That is truly a depressing prospect. Please think it over. Floyd, in addition to being a really lousy pitcher, is sensitive and weak mentally. The truth is two years after nirvana, we're looking into the abyss. The team is swiss cheese like with holes all over the place. Gavin Floyd? Please, no.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
He's not working well anywhere at this point. Though I am not in favor of tossing $10mil out in the pen to rot - because that is what will happen if he's put out there. Examine him... and hope he's got MINOR soreness somewhere. Give him some shots, rehab him, something, anything! But to give away a game every 5th day is bulls***, and that's what's happening now.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
Fine, shut him down, or do what Steff said. I was more getting at the point that Floyd or Haeger should be the #5 for the rest of the season (and not just one or two starts either - I mean all of August and September, a real legitimate look).

Nah, I hear you... that's sort of what I was getting at. I think I put that in another post somewhere else. :lol:

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
That is truly a depressing prospect. Please think it over. Floyd, in addition to being a really lousy pitcher, is sensitive and weak mentally. The truth is two years after nirvana, we're looking into the abyss. The team is swiss cheese like with holes all over the place. Gavin Floyd? Please, no.

I feel like we're in 2003 and 2004 hell again - the dreaded 5th starter clusterf***.

Why is putting Contreras out there every 5th game just giving the game away, and putting Floyd out there something different? As bad as Contreras has been, Floyd is just as if not more awful. At least Contreras has a history to suggest he may someday find success again. Putting Floyd out there sends the wrong message to others in the organization. Reward younger pitchers for results, not because they were part of a deal for a popular pitcher.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
Why is putting Contreras out there every 5th game just giving the game away, and putting Floyd out there something different? As bad as Contreras has been, Floyd is just as if not more awful. At least Contreras has a history to suggest he may someday find success again. Putting Floyd out there sends the wrong message to others in the organization. Reward younger pitchers for results, not because they were part of a deal for a popular pitcher.

How do you get results, if you don't put them out there to try and get results?

Floyd is bad... but what if he's told you are going to get your shot, it's now or never, you have the rest of the season to put it together, mental midget... get it right, or get DFA'd. By the way, what is his contract status?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
How do you get results, if you don't put them out there to try and get results?

Floyd is bad... but what if he's told you are going to get your shot, it's now or never, you have the rest of the season to put it together, mental midget... get it right, or get DFA'd. By the way, what is his contract status?

Yikes.. who peed in your Cheerios this morning..?

:ph34r: