Official College Football Thread

Jenks,

I think even more important for Illinois is to run WR screen to Benn and other plays that get your most talented players into open space. Against MSU, Wisconsin put on the worst tackling performance that I have ever seen, and it has happened in other games where a LB has had to run down a RB because of blown tackles in the secondary. Wisconsin does not play press coverage, they give generally 10 yards, if they play this way against Illinois it is going to be a long day on defense. Wisconsin has not really seen the option this year, I always have hated it as a fan because I used to dislike Nebraska, but I also know that its pretty tough to stop. Wisconsin has shown little discipline, so that is some what scary. Wisconsin has faster LB's than PSU, but they are not as strong or polished, so not sure whether thats a good thing or bad thing.

What I would love to see out of Wisconsin (and they wont) is for them to come out in a 4-6, with cb's pressed and a lb or safety shading Benn. I would want to force Illinois to beat Wisconsin through the air, especially down field.

Yip, I agree. I would do it until they show me they can pass over the top. Should be a good game either way. My expectations for Illinois is to stay in the game throughout. We do that and I think it's a success.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
I would be really shocked if Illinois wins.

I can see them putting up 30 points, but I really dont see how Illinois can stop Wisconsin from putting up 40 in that scenario. The reason that Wisconsin plays close games is that they play ball control and run the ball. They dont go out there and just start airing it out trying to put up a huge lead.

But then again I guess its cool to be disrespectful to the team with the longest winning streak in the nation?

Because thats just luck right? Its not about being good winning 14 games in a row, its all about being lucky.

College football is about winning every game, its not about style points, its not about how it gets done, its about at the end of the day still being undefeated. In each of the games this season Wisconsin has walked onto the field as the more talented team, and in each game they have walked off the field with a victory.

Call me old fashioned, but last I checked Wisconsin was 5-0

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Illinikrush,

I dont even know where to begin, youve stretched my argument to parts that I never have even said.

I said that I thought the game would be high scoring and that in the end Illinois would most likely not be able to stop Wisconsin as consistently as Wisconsin can stop Illinois.

How the hell is that being a homer?

That is just watching the games and having a feeling for what is going to go on. I feel that Wisconsin has one of the best offenses, and could score many more points, but most of the time they are just happy grinding it out and playing time of possession. You can disagree on Wisconsin being one of the top offense's, there is no problem with that, the season will play out, one of us will be right, and one of us will be wrong.

The problem I have is that when you come in here and start trying to personally insult me and constantly misquote me to try and make my argument weaker, it is just annoying. I dont mind talking about football and really I dont think that Wisconsin will win this game no questions asked.

I never said Wisconsin is a GREAT team, I said that they were deserving of the 5 ranking because they have done nothing to lose that ranking. By the end of the season if they still are undefeated they will have been a GREAT team regardless of how close these games were, because no one will care. If they are not a great team, then they will lose a few games to OSU, PSU, Michigan, Illinois, etc, and these games will show that Wisconsin was just beating on weaker teams.

But at 5 games into the season, its impossible to really say any of those things, so I guess I just go based on this:

Like it or not, the past does matter. Its not like this Illini team is not playing players from last year, or the year before. And its not like Wisconsin is playing a brand new team, the fact that Wisconsin has consistently won more games and played in more pressure situations will help them on Saturday. Experience does matter, hence why all things being equal I would take the program who over the last 5 years has been head and shoulders better, who was ranked in the top 10 to start the season, who hasnt lost in almost a year.

I guess those are my homer reasons as to why I think that Wisconsin will win in a close one.

/lol

And I said that about Zook to show that he agrees that Illinois should not be favored. And you keep harping on why Wisconsin must be bad because they arent favored, when even your coach disagrees with that statement.

Jenks,

I think even more important for Illinois is to run WR screen to Benn and other plays that get your most talented players into open space. Against MSU, Wisconsin put on the worst tackling performance that I have ever seen, and it has happened in other games where a LB has had to run down a RB because of blown tackles in the secondary. Wisconsin does not play press coverage, they give generally 10 yards, if they play this way against Illinois it is going to be a long day on defense. Wisconsin has not really seen the option this year, I always have hated it as a fan because I used to dislike Nebraska, but I also know that its pretty tough to stop. Wisconsin has shown little discipline, so that is some what scary. Wisconsin has faster LB's than PSU, but they are not as strong or polished, so not sure whether thats a good thing or bad thing.

What I would love to see out of Wisconsin (and they wont) is for them to come out in a 4-6, with cb's pressed and a lb or safety shading Benn. I would want to force Illinois to beat Wisconsin through the air, especially down field.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Wisconsin will lose by 2 touchdowns if they tackle like they did against Michigan State. I think Wisconsin will improve, but Illinois might run for 350 yards if Wisconsin tackles like that again, and Wisky won't be able to score 38 on the Illinois defense, so they better tackle better or not only will get get run all over, but those screens and slants to Benn will lead to disaster as well.

And the idea of just putting 8 in the box and taking away the run doesn't work against Illinois, just ask Penn State. When a team is running 4 wide, shotgun sets with multiple threats carrying the ball from all over the field, including straight hand offs, fakes, pitches, option, motion handoffs to WR's, and QB keepers against Big 10 (slow) defenses......you are going to have problems stopping it no matter what defensive set you run. The only team good enough on defense to stop it is Ohio State, and thus I think most people with a sense of logic think Illinois will lose in Columbus.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'm a believer in the Illini's running game after watching them run over us in Bloomington. There seemed multiple instances of Mendenhall running up the gut on 3rd and long and picking up the first. Though, I still think we lost that game more than Illinois won it, but that's a different story.

Um what are you highlighting?

I would be really shocked if Illinois wins.

What is so crazy about that? Wisconsin is ranked in the top 5, maybe they havent played at the highest level, but Illinois is not even ranked. No one even discusses why if Illinois is so good (going to beat Wisconsin by 2 td's according to some), why they are not even ranked at all.

Do you think that if Illinois wins this will be an upset?

Do you think that if Illinois wins that students will try and rush the field?

If the answer to either of these questions is "yes" then this should be a shocking win.

I dont think that Wisconsin will win this game no questions asked.

Ah yes simpson's double negative talk strikes again.

You have to read both negative's hence"

I dont think that wisconsin

Will win this game no questions asked.

The first part is a negative modifier, hence my statement is translated as: I think that this game will be very close.

Sorry for the confusion.

Your first quote, you think there will be little problem with Wisky winning. You'd be shocked if Illinois won (or even hung in the game, perhaps?)

Your second quote, you think that it perhaps might be a close game, and Wisconsin might have to struggle to beat the Illini.

I didn't think it was that hard to figure out what I was highlighting.

Also, by your standards, any upset is a shocking win? That's interesting. South Florida beat WVU. Was it an upset? Yes. Was I shocked. Certainly not. And so on.

I guess when you win 14 games in a row you would be shocked to lose to any team that is unranked, even if it is an away game?

I think its going to be a close game, but that Wisconsin will win it. How is that incompatable statements?

Where did I say that they couldnt hang in the game?

I said I could see them putting up 30. That definitely is hanging in there and staying close.

They will play the game, and if Wisconsin gets exposed and shown up, I will be the first one saying that they were not for real and that they just got some breaks.

I just dont expect that will happen, but it may.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 12:35 AM)
After beating the most overrated team in the country relatively handily, South Carolina will become the most overrated team in the country in the next polls. Even Steve Spurrier would tell you ha.

I actually think SC is a pretty solid team, UK was/is overrated, no doubt about that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
I actually think SC is a pretty solid team, UK was/is overrated, no doubt about that.

There's a big difference between being a pretty solid team and a top 10 team, which So. Car. will be in the next polls. The SEC is probably still the best conference in the country, but it's so overrated this year it's a joke. Let's just call South Carolina #10 for now for the purpose of my argument. There are 3 top 10 teams with a loss. They are OU, Florida, and South Carolina. Which one of these is not like the others? South Carolina beat an also overrated Georgia team by 4 points and beat a very overrated Kentucky team handily while losing to LSU handily. With the rankings so bad this year it's not surprising that to see several top 15 teams go down in a week.

I'm convinced SC deserves to be about #15 this year so far. But what can you do when teams keep losing agead of you? And BTW, not sure why you think Florida is the almighty, end all 1 loss team....who ISN'T overrated so far then hmm? Georgia is a solid team, Kentucky wasn't a #8 team, most people know that as well.

So after SC beats Florida, is that gonna be "an overrated Florida team" too?

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
I'm convinced SC deserves to be about #15 this year so far. But what can you do when teams keep losing agead of you? And BTW, not sure why you think Florida is the almighty, end all 1 loss team....who ISN'T overrated so far then hmm? Georgia is a solid team, Kentucky wasn't a #8 team, most people know that as well.

So after SC beats Florida, is that gonna be "an overrated Florida team" too?

I'll agree with the Cocks at 15 so I don't know what fight you are trying to pick.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
UNI #1 in some of the D-IAA polls. Not that anyone but me cares, haha.

I'd like to see Drake make it into the FCS playoffs.

UNI has a habit of choking, but it turns out that their win against ISU might not have been over the worst BCS team ever ever.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
I'd like to see Drake make it into the FCS playoffs.

UNI has a habit of choking, but it turns out that their win against ISU might not have been over the worst BCS team ever ever.

Yeah UNI does, which is why I don't want them to be ranked #1 in some of the polls. I could see them losing to Southern Illinois next weekend on homecoming.

Saw it.

Expect State to try and completely control TOP like it did against Nebraska. I have a feeling we're going to put our only CB with any size, 6-2 Allen Bell on Crabtree.

Just like I said about the Nebraska affair, if ISU can be on the plus side of turnovers for once, they have a chance to win.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
Game should definitely be closer than the opening 24.5 line. I just wish someone would put the damn thing on TV. That's horrible. East Carolina-Central Florida is on TV at the same timeslot, :stick .

Maybe we'll lose Meyer on the flight down so we can start Arnaud or Bates. :ph34r:

Not even so much as an internet feed. Next week, all 6 Big 12 games are televised.