Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ouch, out of the top 25? I thought'd they'd be ranked around 20 after that loss but I'm still not surprised they tossed them out. They lost to a very good team, a team that could beat a lot of Division IA schools. I'm not surprised they're out of the top 25, but dropping over 20 spots in unbelievable, just like losing to App State.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
ESPN talks about Appy. St. like they are just some s***ty 1-AA school. Appy is a very very good team and they should be getting more respect. HOT HOT HOT!

But Michigan shouldn't have lost that game, but i'm glad they did.

Finally sucked it up and watch the game since I taped it. Appy State is f*cking good. They could beat a lot of D1 schools. Very fast and touch to tackle.

Even I, a big Wolverine fan, has to laugh at Michigan being out of the 25 like that. Watching the bottom line on ESPN was like watching that Cliffhanger game on Price is Right, it just kept going and no stopping, or seeing Michigan.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
ESPN talks about Appy. St. like they are just some s***ty 1-AA school. Appy is a very very good team and they should be getting more respect. HOT HOT HOT!

But Michigan shouldn't have lost that game, but i'm glad they did.

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 07:08 PM)
Finally sucked it up and watch the game since I taped it. Appy State is f*cking good. They could beat a lot of D1 schools. Very fast and touch to tackle.

So which one of you is the real Lou Holtz?

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
Even I, a big Wolverine fan, has to laugh at Michigan being out of the 25 like that. Watching the bottom line on ESPN was like watching that Cliffhanger game on Price is Right, it just kept going and no stopping, or seeing Michigan.

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 07:08 PM)

There isn't a top 50 team App State should beat. Ever. Yeah they are fast, but they are also undersized and have no depth. If Michigan had played 3 deep all game and ran Hart 40 times, they win going away. But LLoyd did his thing, and they lost. And it's not only right they aren't ranked, they shouldn't have got a single vote in the poll. If you can't beat a 1-AA team at home, get out of the rankings period.

Oh, and Weis is nuts to put the golden boy in this kinda spot, he's going to get his balls knocked off at Happy Valley against a vastly superior team in maybe the most difficult enviornment in college football. Give a true frosh QB his first start in that kinda situation? Yikes.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Disagree, ASU would beat quite a few top 50 teams. The size difference is really overstated. ASU has 35 guys that are 250 pounds or heavier, while a team like Michigan has 36. The depth is also overstated. ASU gets 63 scholarships compared to the usual 85 for Division one, which is of course a difference of 22 players. Not many teams tap into their final 22 spots on the roster, which are usually reserved for red-shirts or injured players. Most teams won't throw a 3rd team out there unless the game is a blowout, and even then it's a mixture of 2nd-3rd string. ASU can go two deep at all their positions with 63 scholarships and has more talented walk-ons than your usual Division 1 teams.

USC would probably have their way with ASU, because the speed is negated, and USC can throw layers of fast players at ASU, who is looking to play an up-tempo game.

Michigan should still win this game relatively easily (not like 50-point easy, but like at least 38-21 easy). The problem is that Brandon Minor inexplicably got 13 carries in a game that was close (and hurt them big time by tripping over his own feet twice, fumbling the first and blowing a 2-point conversion the next), Henne had a pretty bad day throwing the ball, and the defense is replacing an awful lot of guys. They were clearly not playing anywhere near their capabilities outside of Mike Hart and let a team with some talent hang around.

What's funny is that Texas only beat Arkansas State by 8 points and you're hearing NOTHING about it. A different bounce here or there and it could have been two colossal upsets in one day and Michigan wouldn't be getting nearly as much crap. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they lost to TCU this week.

Michigan should still win this game relatively easily

Agree there. Any top 10 talented team should beat ASU. That's assuming that the team doesn't overlook ASU and is properly prepared. If I had to place ASU in an area with D-I teams, I would probably put them in the 25-35 range. Still, it's going to be very tough for any team to stop a Vick type QB in a spread offense like ASU has. You have to have defensive athletes that can keep up, and Michigan's defensive players actually looked slow in the game, which was shocking to me.

I would put ASU about on par with say BYU.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
Michigan should still win this game relatively easily (not like 50-point easy, but like at least 38-21 easy). The problem is that Brandon Minor inexplicably got 13 carries in a game that was close (and hurt them big time by tripping over his own feet twice, fumbling the first and blowing a 2-point conversion the next), Henne had a pretty bad day throwing the ball, and the defense is replacing an awful lot of guys. They were clearly not playing anywhere near their capabilities outside of Mike Hart and let a team with some talent hang around.

Brandon Minor got 13 carries and Mike Hart did not get 40 carries (different post) because Hart missed most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters with a thigh bruise. If Michigan did not become desparate then Hart would not have returned. That fact alone shows you how good Hart is, especially considering his run for the go-ahead TD. It was reported that he was favoring his leg going into and coming out of the locker room at halftime, which is why he was always shown on the bike on the sideline, trying to keep if from completely stiffening up.

Chad Henne was not good at all. If Hart is healthy and Henne plays a normal game, Michigan hangs 50+ on them and the score finishes something like 53-38 and we all blast UM's defense and give Appy St credit for a heckuva battle. But that did not happen. Henne throws a unlike him 4th Q interception (rolling out and tried to force it - he usually throws that away). Twice on critical downs Henne tried to force the ball to his TE who was covered. Three times Mario Manningham had his corner beaten and twice Henne underthrew him allowing the CB to catch up and deflect the pass and once Henne overthrew him by three steps. All three of those plays are 30+ yard pass plays and possible touchdowns.

As bad as the defense was, they only gave up 6 points in the 2nd half. The offense is truly who failed them. They had opportunites to get back in the game earlier and could have left Hart on the bench. But they shot themselves in the foot too many times. Minor also lost a fumble on a 3rd quarter drive.

As for specifics on Hart... Michigan punted to Appy St at the 11:45 mark of the 2nd quarter. Hart did not play again in the first half and did not return to the field until Michigan started a drive with 2:24 left in the 3rd quarter. He did not have a carry until the 4th play of that drive. He ran for 15 yards on 3 carries on that drive, concluding with a TD run. He ran for an additional 101 yards in the 4th quarter.

The bottom line is if Michigan gives us half the offense we expected from them they hang a half a hundred on ASU and the focus is on getting the defense straight, rather than this "embarassing defeat" nonsense.

Note: This post was in response to all related posts about the game, not just the one quoted above.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
Henne is never good. I dont understand why Michigan fans are still waiting for this dominant year from him. He is flat out not that great.

Henne is what he is. Not gonna win games for you.

Ryan Mallet is waiting in the wings.

Mike Hart is the Steve McNair of college football in the sense that he is hurt prone, but not injury prone. Everybody talks about how tough he is all the time and such, but he always has some sort of thing hurting him that causes the talk, meaning he really is rarely healthy and thus rarely playing at his peak abilities.

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Henne is not that bad. He is at least mobile and won't just stand there and get sacked without fighting a bit.

Well, actually Navarre is statistically superior than Henne at this point isnt he? And Henne is a 4 year starter whilst Navarre was only a starter for 3 years.

"For his career, Henne has completed 666 of 1,109 passes for 7,777 yards, 70 touchdowns, and 28 interceptions.[1] He ranks second only to John Navarre in Michigan annals for attempts, completions, and yards."

"Navarre holds several Michigan career records including passing yards (9,254), passing touchdowns (72), pass attempts (1,366), and completions (765)." (as a three year starter)

Edited by RockRaines

Cincinnati looked REALLY good, going to 2-0 as they dominated a pretty decent Oregon State team 34-3 in Cincy and holding the stud RB Bernard to 30 yards on 16 carries.

But getting to the fun stuff, Louisville and Middle Tennessee State was 38-35.....at the half. Louisville eventually pulled away to win 58-42, and this game had glorious stats all over.

Louisville: 725 total yards, Brohm 25 of 40 for 397 yards and 4 TD's (0 picks), 328 rush yards overall, including 34 for 275 (school record rushing game) and 2 TD's from 232 pound RB Anthony Allen (do they have a 230 pound min. weight for Louisville RB's?)

Middle Tennessee State: "Only" 559 yards and 42 points, with 9.2 yards per rush. Tanner had 9 for 144 rushing and 3 TD's, McNair had 7 for 72 rushing and a TD.

Overall: Louisville had 3 different guys with 100 yards plus receiving, and MTSU had 2 guys with between 87 and 92. There were 3 total punts, and 6 individual plays of at least 50 yards from scrimmage. 100 combined points.

Louisville vs. West Virginia shall be fun.