Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
once again, maggs, i think you are forgetting oklahoma.

I just can't get over the fact that at perfect health, they lost to Colorado. At least when USC lost to Stanford, they had injury issues. But, from first hand ass stomping that I saw put on Mizzou by OU, I know they are damn good.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
Who is then? OSU: lost to ILL. LSU: lost to Arkansas who got killed by Mizzou. Booty broke his finger during the Stanford game. When healthy, I am not sure any team is better than USC. Maybe Georgia.

I'd love to see Georgia, USC, OU all in a playoff with LSU and Ohio State (don't ask me how you do it) but those 5 teams you could argue are the top team in the country. I hate to put Ohio State on the outside but the first three teams I listed are my top 3 (in no particular order).

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
If we're going to lose by that score I wish Mendenhall would have had 20 carries for -5 yards. f***, he's totally gone now...

This offense will struggle more than people realize without him next year, Juice cannot carry this offense.

I want Mendenhall on the Bears in the 2nd round, unfortunately I don't know if he will last that long after today's performance. I also want to thank the Illini for helping me win my only bet of bowl season :)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
I almost took my new TV back because of the blur from all of that SEC speed today. That slow Maize and Blue team looked like they were stuck in mud.

Ha. You didn't watch the whole game, did you? Did those defenders look slow as they were knocking Tebow to the dirt all day and putting pressure on him. Michigan's defense played a lot better than the 35 points they gave up, mostly because of the turnovers.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
Did I mention that I absolutely HATE the fact that Fox has the contract to broadcast the BCS games????

Tonights game is taking forever. Are the commercial breaks like 5 minutes?

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)
Ha. You didn't watch the whole game, did you? Did those defenders look slow as they were knocking Tebow to the dirt all day and putting pressure on him. Michigan's defense played a lot better than the 35 points they gave up, mostly because of the turnovers.

You do understand I was being sarcastic right?

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)
Tonights game is taking forever. Are the commercial breaks like 5 minutes?

the ntl champ game will take longer.

God, im looking forward to the kansas game, the underdogs have been great in the BCS so far. haha :ph34r:

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

Ehh the spread that predicted USC is 2 touchdowns better was about right.....problem is, 3 drives where the ball is inside the USC 20 that led to 0 points. That turns what probably should have been a 49-34 ish type game where both defenses were torched into a blowout. Illinois was obviously overwhelemed, hopefully they live and learn because they'll be back. After the INEXCUSEABLE 15 play script of Locks ran out, the offense I thought was fine in terms of moving the ball, just the damn turnovers (If Willis doesn't fumble, the game might go totally different). Ah well, Illinois is still a couple years away and stuff like today happens, at least they know what it's like to play in a game like that now. The defense simply was overmatched, I appreciate the seniors contributions to the program, but their lack of speed/talent will not be missed when guys like Martez and Donsay and so on are starting next year.

Congrats to USC, oh and I apologize to Michigan and their fans, and great job today by you guys. To beat Florida in Florida with a -4 turnover difference is incredible. And wow, people think Illinois was overmatched......I don't think I've EVER seen a QB take a beating as bad as Brennan did tonight. Maybe the Boise State anomoly/fluke of last year will now be forgotten, these non BCS schools just aren't good enough unless they get to play a team with no QB (Oklahoma) or are like Utah and get to play the worst team to ever play in a BCS game, 2004 Pittsburgh. And enjoy the NFL Rashard, you earned it all season and today as well.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Surprised with what I'm reading from the Illinois people about the game. Their offense got smoked in the 1st half and aside from 2 big plays didn't do all that much, or at least as much as what it sounds like. Pretty hilarious though that McGee threw the 56 yard TD on his only pass, he needed to be in earlier.

I don't really like the argument by the illini fans about if there were no turnovers it would have been a respectable 2 td loss. Turnovers are forced for the most part. You guys said the same thing about the game vs. us.

Painful sugar bowl. You don't think the folks down there would've rather had missouri instead? Whatever, we did what we had to do and had a great season, it was nice to wake up hungover and not have to be stressed by a close game. T. Temple, i'd love to have ya back if the miracle appeal goes through, but hell of a way to end it.

also.

Willy mo, You are my favorite still. (get drafted by the bears in 2 years.)

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
Their frosh QB got rattled at an away game. Neutral field i think OKL can go step for step with anyone and probably convincingly win.

Remind me how we seemed to belong on the same field as them.... :ph34r:

Bradford looked like absolute crap in Ames.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 01:38 AM)
I don't really like the argument by the illini fans about if there were no turnovers it would have been a respectable 2 td loss. Turnovers are forced for the most part. You guys said the same thing about the game vs. us.

Yeah -- that's the height of arrogance, saying that the Vegas spread was right. I don't think it's delusional to think that Iliinois could have avoided coughing up the ball a couple of times.

But, hey I'll give you what you want:

Illinois was embarrassed completely. They shouldn't have been anywhere near a BCS bowl. That they were there and not Missouri is a travesty. Missouri would have had an excellent chance of beating USC. Everyone feel better now?

that wasn't really the point, but saying "hey if all that bad stuff wouldn't have happened we would've only lost by less." Your turnovers weren't boneheaded mistakes, they were forced by the heavy pressure USC was getting and good tackling. And it's not like you have tom brady back there throwing the ball, some int's should've been expected from juice. USC showed up to show that they were still among the best in the nation after having suffered the most embarrassing loss of the year, and they did that. Unfortunately, it's what we all predicted and all the bcs matches that everyone said would suck have sucked, unless either of these BCS games thrilled any of you.

it does though, USC and OSU have finished in or near the top 5 for like the last 7 years and have consistently pulled in top talent. I mean maybe not dynasty in terms of championships, but with the way the bcs is screwed up, i think that hardly matters now.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
ESPN does move to LA very soon, they have to start revving up the West Coast hype machine.

really? I didnt know that, so are they setting up something like an ESPN headquarters West?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
really? I didnt know that, so are they setting up something like an ESPN headquarters West?

Yep, its going to be freaking awesome. It is going to be right next to Staples Center with a full west coast headquarters.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
that wasn't really the point, but saying "hey if all that bad stuff wouldn't have happened we would've only lost by less." Your turnovers weren't boneheaded mistakes, they were forced by the heavy pressure USC was getting and good tackling. And it's not like you have tom brady back there throwing the ball, some int's should've been expected from juice. USC showed up to show that they were still among the best in the nation after having suffered the most embarrassing loss of the year, and they did that. Unfortunately, it's what we all predicted and all the bcs matches that everyone said would suck have sucked, unless either of these BCS games thrilled any of you.

You are correct. But if, and I know ifs don't really work postgame, but if the Illini hadn't had committed those turnovers, the game would have been closer. Not an Illinois win, I don't think, but not a 32 point loss. I could say something like 35-24...but definitely under the 13 1/2 point spread.

On another note, Rashard is gone, but I wish he would stay, not only for the Illini to have a better chance next year, but also for just the reason Kirk Herbstreit said last night...to learn to pick up a blitz better. He got blown-the-f**k-up by Rey Maua...Meahu...whatever his name is.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)

I'm not going to give excuses for the loss, but that was clearly not Illinois' best game. They made bone-head play after bone-head play. And USC got a ton of lucky bounces. USC capitalized like good teams do, but to say that Illinois and USC are in two different classes is just incorrect. I think USC is a better team, but Illinois could certainly beat them.

After a night and morning to think about it, here's what I took from the game

(1) our offensive coordinator was replaced with Ron Turner for the first quarter. Stubborn, pathetic play calling that should have been changed after the first two drives.

(2) USC's defense wasn't all that great. Illinois shredded yet another top rushing defense. If only Locksley had called a few pass plays early instead of waiting until the last drive of the 2nd quarter. I think the running game could have done even more.

(3) the defense, for its lack of overall speed and talent, played pretty damn good ball for 2.5 quarters until they realized that the offense was pathetic and throwing the game away.

(4) i can't wait for the big time receiving core to show up on campus - last year it was the dropped passed, this year it was fumbles and poor route running.

(5) martez wilson, while gifted athletically, takes horrible angles to the ball and is often caught out of position. Hopefully this summer he hits the film room and learns the game.

(6) i'm still not sold on juice. even after the ohio state game I had concerns with his ability to pass. He has a cannon, but its a waste with a lack of touch and accuracy. He made some decent throws but normally it was the case of the WR making a better play than Juice making a good pass. Hopefully he works on this like crazy next year. Everyone will say his completion percentage jumped from like 36 to 56 percent, but really that doesn't mean much when 90% of his throws were part of the option or hitting rb's and wr's in the flats.

(7) USC has no class. It's not wonder why most of the nation dislikes their program. They are arrogant and act like asses who have never won before. I hate Duke bball more than anyone else, but I respect the program because they act like winners who have been there before.

(8) mcnight is f'n scary.

I think that's all. I didn't expect Illinois to win, but I wanted them to play close. Until some bad breaks, they were in it. But such is life and they got beat bad. Hopefully next year will be better.

Here's a question for Big Ten fans: how does next season play out? I think OSU will be the favorite with Illinois, Michigan State and possibly Wisky battling for 2nd. I think Michigan will be in for a long year with so many seniors leaving.