Cubs claim Podsednik; Pods still here (for now)

Linnwood

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
Pods would have no say in the matter, he'll only have 5 years of service time by season's end so if the Sox offered him arb he'd have to accept it. He's not a free agent until after next season.

Regardless, the sox will likely non-tender him so they wouldn't be on the hook for the $3 mill. he'll get next yr. To get something now for him makes sense.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
Regardless, the sox will likely non-tender him so they wouldn't be on the hook for the $3 mill. he'll get next yr. To get something now for him makes sense.

If the choices are help the Cubs and get some crappy A-ball pitcher in return or keep Pods, I'd keep Pods. The Sox are not helping themselves by helping an in-city rival make the playoffs.

If we offer arb. to Pods, he is gonna return....thats not a choice I'm looking forward to. Hopefully KW can take advantage of a serious Cub need right now, and get something half decent in return, whatever level of the minors our return player(s) is/are from.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
If the choices are help the Cubs and get some crappy A-ball pitcher in return or keep Pods, I'd keep Pods. The Sox are not helping themselves by helping an in-city rival make the playoffs.

:lolhitting

Damn... you people keep making Pods out to be an All-Star!

(oh, wait a minute)...

The only damn reason he was is because of us. He's not that good, and I can't see Podsednik being what makes the Cubs make the playoffs.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)
If we offer arb. to Pods, he is gonna return....thats not a choice I'm looking forward to. Hopefully KW can take advantage of a serious Cub need right now, and get something half decent in return, whatever level of the minors our return player(s) is/are from.

DING!

Get SOMETHING for him now.

I don't want to see either glass brothers-twins-activate- on this team next year.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)

The sox would be helping themselves on the off chance the guy they get for Pods might contribute at some point. If it helps the Cubs, so be it. I'm sure Kenny is concerned about helping the sox improve--not worrying or caring if the Cubs would be helped or not.

If the sox are going to get rid of pods this offseason by non-tendering him--which is very likely--then Pods should be dealt now when the sox can get salary relief and a prospect.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)
The sox would be helping themselves on the off chance the guy they get for Pods might contribute at some point. If it helps the Cubs, so be it. I'm sure Kenny is concerned about helping the sox improve--not worrying or caring if the Cubs would be helped or not.

Given that the Sox compete heavily with the Cubs for ticket sales and that the Cubs have an excellent shot at the playoffs, Kenny has to factor that into the equation. Kenny also has to consider that dumping Pods would only save the club about $870k right now.

If the Sox can get a solid AA prospect or better from the Cubs, then I agree with you. If Pods will only garner the same crap that Kenny got in the Iguchi trade, forget it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
:lolhitting

Damn... you people keep making Pods out to be an All-Star!

(oh, wait a minute)...

The only damn reason he was is because of us. He's not that good, and I can't see Podsednik being what makes the Cubs make the playoffs.

Maybe not, but it wouldn't stop the media from trying to spin it that way.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
If this was 2006, coming off the WS year, I go with it. However, it's now two years removed from Podsednik's last good season, really has worn out his welcome with a lot of Sox fans, and his .262-.328-.377 line really isn't going to push the Cubs over the hump. Podsednik has absolutely zero value to this team, and very little around baseball. After the mistake Williams made of brining Scott back for 07, if he can get anything for him, you pull the trigger.

(I could be missing something, but if the Sox don't offer Arb to Scott after the season, they receive nothing, correct?)

Yes, and they pay him the $800k left for this year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
his .262-.328-.377 line really isn't going to push the Cubs over the hump.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
Maybe not, but it wouldn't stop the media from trying to spin it that way.

Perception is often more important than reality.

Podsednik is a good ballplayer, who contributed in a substantial way to our Wolrd Series victory year. He deserves some respect for that. I understand we are a group of "What have You Done For Me Lately/Today" folks, but we so undervalue our own players it is ridiculous. Pods is not the reason this team failed this year. Yes, he is injury prone as is Erstad, but they also can provide a spark when needed and when healthy. If neither are here next year it's because of those injuries and the emergence of one of our minor league players, or a free agent signing of a CF'er.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Podsednik is a good ballplayer, who contributed in a substantial way to our Wolrd Series victory year. He deserves some respect for that. I understand we are a group of "What have You Done For Me Lately/Today" folks, but we so undervalue our own players it is ridiculous. Pods is not the reason this team failed this year. Yes, he is injury prone as is Erstad, but they also can provide a spark when needed and when healthy. If neither are here next year it's because of those injuries and the emergence of one of our minor league players, or a free agent signing of a CF'er.

I'd say the complete failure that was Podsednik/Erstad shoud take a substantial portion of the blame for the failures of this ballclub. It's real hard for a team to win anything when they're missing a leadoff hitter and 2/3 of the starting OF spends the majority of the season on the DL. Neither player should have been relied upon to be a main cog for the '07 team but this fact does not absolve either player from blame. They were given starting jobs and both have failed miserably.

Scott Podsednik is not a good ballplayer and Sox fans do not undervalue him. The national media also seems to agree that he sucks and wouldn't contribute much to the Cubs during the stretch run so I guess the entire planet undervalues Pods. How do you undervalue a player who has spent 70% of the season on the DL and when healthy still doesn't contribute?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
Scott Podsednik is not a good ballplayer

Not sure I'd go that far. Pods has been an effective leadoff hitter and base-stealer in the past. Not a stud by any means, but he certainly was a "good" player two years ago. I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to play at that level again, or if he'll be healthy long enough to be able to try.

That said, I agree that keeping him around this year was a mistake and I don't want to see him on our roster next season.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
If Pods will only garner the same crap that Kenny got in the Iguchi trade, forget it.

I looked up the crap you refer to.

21 year old Michael Dubee is 1-0 with a 3.00 ERA in Kannapolis. Opponents are hitting .167 against him, he has 12 Ks in 9 IP. I see he also started a game. Give the young man some time.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
Not sure I'd go that far. Pods has been an effective leadoff hitter and base-stealer in the past. Not a stud by any means, but he certainly was a "good" player two years ago. I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to play at that level again, or if he'll be healthy long enough to be able to try.

That's why I said "Scott Podsednik is not a good ballplayer" as opposed to "Scott Podsednik has never been a good ballplayer" keeping my statement in the present rather than including the past. RIGHT NOW he's not good at baseball and hasn't been effective for about a year and a half now. I have no reason to believe he'll ever be good again.

That said, I agree that keeping him around this year was a mistake and I don't want to see him on our roster next season.

Good to see that you agree with me on the main point though.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
I looked up the crap you refer to.

21 year old Michael Dubee is 1-0 with a 3.00 ERA in Kannapolis. Opponents are hitting .167 against him, he has 12 Ks in 9 IP. I see he also started a game. Give the young man some time.

The Cubs have officially made an offer for Pods? That's news to me.

Can't say much about Dubee, given that you're only showing me 9 innings of stats. Do you have anything more than that?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Morgan Ensberg hit 36 HR, 101 RBI, and had a .945 OPS in 2005.

Morgan Ensberg is currently hitting .231 with 10 HR and 35 RBI.

So because Ensberg was great in 2005, should Astro fans have given him the benifit of the doubt? Should San Diego fans? Do you want him because of the numbers he put up in 2005?

A lot can change in two years. Just look at the standings....

I'm not sure what kind of strawman argument you're trying to make, but I CLEARLY said that I don't want Pods on the Sox's roster next season.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
What about Jeff Samardzija? He is sucking big time in the minors but he was supposed to be pretty good going into the draft. Last I saw he was 0-5 in A ball with a 5+ ERA. I'd rather see the Bears get Samardzija than the Sox but....

1.) He's on the Cubs' 40 so he'd have to pass through waivers

2.) He has a full no trade clause

3.) He's expensive

4.) He's bad

I think I'd rather have nothing.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
What about Jeff Samardzija? He is sucking big time in the minors but he was supposed to be pretty good going into the draft. Last I saw he was 0-5 in A ball with a 5+ ERA. I'd rather see the Bears get Samardzija than the Sox but....

Oh for God's sake no...Especially considering he has a contract that pays him a ton of money if he stays with baseball that presumably the Sox would wind up having to pay.