Will the Sox finish at .500 or better?

soxfan3530

Can the Sox hit the .500 mark?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Making a push towards being average.

• Yes
    • No

The Sox are playing better as of late. Currently they are 7 games under .500 at 53-60. My question is, Do you think the Sox will finish at or even above .500. I hear some crazy people (not on this message board per say) about how the Sox can get back in this thing. Obviously that is not a realistic prediction but do you think they can play well enough the rest of the way to play seven games over. Based on their remaining schedule I would say no but just seeing what all you optimist think.

This team is far too inconsistent to get back to the .500 mark by the end of the year, even while playing probably the best baseball of the season they're only 14-13 since the break. Playing near .500 baseball over your best stretch isn't really a good thing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
This team is far too inconsistent to get back to the .500 mark by the end of the year, even while playing probably the best baseball of the season they're only 14-13 since the break. Playing near .500 baseball over your best stretch isn't really a good thing.

if this is our best stretch, then how the hell were the sox 4 games over in may?

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
if this is our best stretch, then how the hell were the sox 4 games over in may?

Would you say they're playing better baseball now or in May? I'm not necessarily talking about "best ball" in the sense of wins and losses but rather just how well they're playing on the field with the runs they're scoring, solid starting pitching and surprisingly stout bullpen. This is the best "ball" they've played all year and the they're still only a game over during this stretch.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
Would you say they're playing better baseball now or in May? I'm not necessarily talking about "best ball" in the sense of wins and losses but rather just how well they're playing on the field with the runs they're scoring, solid starting pitching and surprisingly stout bullpen. This is the best "ball" they've played all year and the they're still only a game over during this stretch.

look who we they played during that stretch. All I know is they are about to take 5/6 against cleveland and detroit after tonight's win.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)

but making up about six games in the standings is.

I believe CLE was about 10 games out in the loss column in the first week of sept. '05.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
I believe CLE was about 10 games out in the loss column in the first week of sept. '05.

Yeah and Cleveland had 1 team to jump unlike the 3 the Sox would have to pass. It's not even comparable. Cleveland got hot and the Sox got cold, it worked out perfectly for them. For the Sox to make a run they'd have to get unbelievably hot (.800-.900 baseball the rest of the way) and 3 teams would have to absolutely tank.

And that's not even taking into account the unbalanced scheduling, CLE, MIN and DET still have to play each other over the final month and someone has to win those games.

Catching 1 team is not that hard, catching 3 is nearly impossible especially when you're as bad as the Sox.

I want to change my vote after today. I don't have any faith in this team winning 5 in a row and to be honest have no clue how they won 4 in a row recently. Silly me. I still think they can play over .500 the rest of the way, but to finish at .500 overall would take a very impressive stretch.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 04:28 AM)
62 games left 35-27 the rest of the way. Eh why not ? Doesnt hurt to stay positive contrary to popular belief.
62 games left? What league plays 176 games?

There are 48 games left to complete the 162 game season. The Sox would have to go 28-20 to get to .500. Possible, but it is not gonna happen. There are too many variables working against the team.

I would say 78-84 is a safe bet.

No .500 for this team.

Veterans in the lineup continue to have sub par years for them especially.

Even our reliable starters have a bad outing or two out of five.

Rookies are doing OK, but not lighting it up by any means.

Bullpen still is scary.

I'd say we will finish between 10-15 below .500 probably closer to 15 below.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 06:43 AM)
62 games left? What league plays 176 games?

There are 48 games left to complete the 162 game season. The Sox would have to go 28-20 to get to .500. Possible, but it is not gonna happen. There are too many variables working against the team.

I would say 78-84 is a safe bet.

Sorry I could've swore I heard Hawk say 62 games left during the last game against the Indian's. Thought that seemed like too many. Didn't bother fact checking.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
No .500 for this team.

Veterans in the lineup continue to have sub par years for them especially.

Even our reliable starters have a bad outing or two out of five.

Rookies are doing OK, but not lighting it up by any means.

Bullpen still is scary.

I'd say we will finish between 10-15 below .500 probably closer to 15 below.

15 below would mean the Sox lose a game to a rainout or makeup a game with a Wild Card team - both highly unlikely scenarios.

74-88 puts them at 14 below and 4th place in the AL Central

73-89 puts them at 16 below and 4th place in the AL Central

Beyond that, Jermaine Dye is one of the best 2nd half's of anyone in baseball, Konerko's been very good since like June, Thome's always going to be good so long as he isn't banged up, and the rest of the lineup has played to about their expectations.

I see this team finishing at the previously suggested 78-84...they're playing good enough baseball that they'll be above .500, but they don't have a good enough team that they'll be able to go on a very good streak and get to 85 wins, which leaves out the incredible 90 wins it would take to merely enter the Wild Card discussion. At the very most, they play well the rest of the season and do get to .500, but that doesn't do much for me, cuz this team needs just a bit of rebuilding.