PROPS to Ozzie

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
I will say one thing....if Jenks gave up a hit half this board would be screaming for Ozzie's head for putting him in a non save situation. Well at least before finding out it was Coops and Bobby's idea. Then there still would be a select few screaming...I don't care who's idea it was...it's Ozzie's team, it comes down to him...blah blah blah. I am not a big Ozzie defender, in fact, I am pretty critical of him, but I understand most of his decisions can go either way and I can't criticize him for having a different opinion. If a situation comes up and you can say...eh 1/2 the managers would have done the same thing...then how can you can be pissed. Sometiems he is on the correct 1/2 of that and sometimes he isn't. Yesterday he was on the correct half and don't think for a second there wasn't a 1/2 on the other side that would have never brought Bobby in yesterday. I know there were fans out there bithcing about Jenks coming in.

I only wish this game was during the week so there were more posters. We would have seen a good percentage throwing their gauntlet out there in the game thread....I got a bad feeling about this, oh I don't like this idea, this is a bad move, what's Ozzie doing etc etc etc...just to proclaim "see I called it!!!" I won't name names, but a certain poster probably would've been one of the first, but after the move works we get a thread like this.

Good post.

I understand that Ozzie makes the final decisions... which is fine by me. He just gets s*** on whether he does a or b no matter what, because there are too many self-professed geniuses posting around here.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 08:41 AM)
Good post.

I understand that Ozzie makes the final decisions... which is fine by me. He just gets s*** on whether he does a or b no matter what, because there are too many self-professed geniuses posting around here.

genius.GIF

This season has been such a mess I'm not about to jump on Ozzie and blame him for everything--although plenty here have kept track of his questionable moves that they say have cost us games, so I digress here and there.

As for the Jenks entry yesterday, yeah, I'm glad he tied the record but man was that depressing. We're so clearly losing the game and the only entertaining thing worth staying for (we would have left earlier) was putting Jenks in to try and get the record. Point being: we still got blown out/shutout. That was just a weird feeling as a Sox fan--cheering for ultimately meaningless records when the game was still a loss.

So this is what it's like to be a KC fan.

Looking at your post history, you seem to take shots at ozzie in any thread that seems to be bashing him (without reading the thread first) Your post has NOTHING to do with the 1st post of this thread.

What are you talking about? I love Oz, just ask Fathom.

I was simply making a point that getting shut out by meatball pitcher

Weaver could have cost Oz and KW their jobs and deservedly so.

But I am an Oz supporter. I want nobody else as Sox manager.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 08:41 AM)
Good post.

Think about how smart he would look if he quit at the end of last year and someone else was the manager. That guy would be bashed to no end, and probably would have been canned as well. We would hear how Ozzie would never let this happen under his watch. I'm not an Ozzie fan, but I really think managers get way too much credit for wins, and probably too much blame for losses.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
Think about how smart he would look if he quit at the end of last year and someone else was the manager. That guy would be bashed to no end, and probably would have been canned as well. We would hear how Ozzie would never let this happen under his watch. I'm not an Ozzie fan, but I really think managers get way too much credit for wins, and probably too much blame for losses.

I've always felt that managers effect about 10 games in the final season standings. In 2005, the Sox had the talent to win 90 games, but due to the freshness Ozzie still provided, and how well everything worked out for the club, they won 99 games. I felt the '06 team had about 96 wins in them, but Ozzie putting Mackowiak in CF for a third of the games really hurt the club long term, and letting Podsednik leadoff all year really hurt the team as well, so I figure that cost them about 6 games.

Really, Ozzie isn't the reason this team is terrible; that all falls on the players and KW.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
Ozzie isn't doing a great job managing, but this team isn't that good either. It's a matched set. Some of the clods we have on this team are laughable. We won't compete next year, not without some serious upgrades in SEVERAL positions.

One of the reasons the personnel is so bad is because Ozzie wants the Erstad/Mack/Cintron/ and assorted other crap hitters on this team; and because he has no patience with young hitters. We're damn lucky that the Sox won the WS before Ozzie had a chance to screw up the personnel.

Ozzie gets the most out of his personnel...the personnel isn't very good and he has major influence in who is on this roster.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Aug 16, 2007 -> 01:46 AM)
One of the reasons the personnel is so bad is because Ozzie wants the Erstad/Mack/Cintron/ and assorted other crap hitters on this team; and because he has no patience with young hitters. We're damn lucky that the Sox won the WS before Ozzie had a chance to screw up the personnel.

Ozzie gets the most out of his personnel...the personnel isn't very good and he has major influence in who is on this roster.

Well said! Ozzie doesn't want an OBP guy as a leadoff hitter....he wants one of his slappy speedsters instead.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 06:49 PM)
Well said! Ozzie doesn't want an OBP guy as a leadoff hitter....he wants one of his slappy speedsters instead.

A slappy speedster is not a bad thing! That can win a hell of a lot of games for a team. A bad slappy speedster or a slappy speedster who loses his speed due to a long series of injuries is a bad thing, and that's been our problem at the top the last 2 years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2007 -> 01:51 AM)
A slappy speedster is not a bad thing! That can win a hell of a lot of games for a team. A bad slappy speedster or a slappy speedster who loses his speed due to a long series of injuries is a bad thing, and that's been our problem at the top the last 2 years.

And that's what I'm referring to. The Sox were deadset on having a speedy hitter at the top of their order this year, and when they saw that Pierre and Roberts would cost too much, they brought Pods back instead of possibly going the OBP route for a leadoff hitter.

Erstad, Pods, Richar, Uribe, Owens ... bad bad hitters right now.

Thome, AJ, Dye, Paulie ... oh my. Bad seasons.

KW has a mess to clean up this offseason as well as evaluating which players

just had an off year and which are done.

Erstad and Pods and Uribe obviously have got to go.