Sox @ M's

Kalapse

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 03:22 AM)
I guess it's easier for Hawk and DJ to suggest "bad luck" was the reason the ball shot over Fields that than blame Danks for laying a fat fastball down the plate.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?autocom=chat

Thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking....I really wish I could be more optimistic about Danks, but he really has to work on his mechanics. His follow-thru is as bad as you'll find in the majors.

Nice to see Ozzie leave Wasserman in to face a plethora of lefties. I'm going to be so pissed off if Owens is starting for the Sox next year....he's a one dimensional player, and that dimension is probably the least productive of all of them.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 03:39 AM)
Wasserman surrenders the lead and Owens gives Seattle an insurance run. 5-3.

Last place, baby!

Hey, I'll gladly take last place -- give me that higher draft pick. I believe we're currently 5th or 6th worst in all of baseball. There's no way we finish the worst in all of baseball -- Tampa Bay is just too bad -- but all of the other teams behind us are in striking distance. There's a reasonably good chance the Sox get a top five pick next season.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
Hey, I'll gladly take last place -- give me that higher draft pick. I believe we're currently 5th or 6th worst in all of baseball. There's no way we finish the worst in all of baseball -- Tampa Bay is just too bad -- but all of the other teams behind us are in striking distance. There's a reasonably good chance the Sox get a top five pick next season.

You know how thats going to work. We get the top five pick and select some signable chap we could of had at 26. We will see our guys high fiving to pass the charade off that even though X impact player represented by boras was available, unknown player was really our target. signability over talent is our motto.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)

I've been aboard the draft-pick wagon for quite awhile. Ultimately, what's the difference between 70 and 80 wins when it's obvious your team isn't going to contend for a playoff spot? Do fans care whether the team ends with a .500 record? May as well sit back, enjoy bad baseball, and hope entering next June the White Sox and their amateur scouting staff take advantage of their position to select a talented player.

Yes, Santo, there's no guarantee our position lands us Tim Lincecum or another potential All-Star. My belief is, you atleast want the opportunity to scout a larger collection of players. Selecting at #25, you're not going to expect many players to drop. We haven't had that luxury (if you look at it that way) in over fifteen years. If our first round selections would have been more successful I may suggest a higher slot doesn't matter. But it's obvious we could use every advantage afforded to us.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)
I've been aboard the draft-pick wagon for quite awhile. Ultimately, what's the difference between 70 and 80 wins when it's obvious your team isn't going to contend for a playoff spot? Do fans care whether the team ends with a .500 record? May as well sit back, enjoy bad baseball, and hope entering next June the White Sox and their amateur scouting staff take advantage of their position to select a talented player.

Yes, Santo, there's no guarantee our position lands us Tim Lincecum or another potential All-Star. My belief is, you atleast want the opportunity to scout a larger collection of players. Selecting at #25, you're not going to expect many players to drop. We haven't had that luxury (if you look at it that way) in over fifteen years. If our first round selections would have been more successful I may suggest a higher slot doesn't matter. But it's obvious we could use every advantage afforded to us.

Well from the barren wasteland of the late 80s, those top ten draft picks brought us guys like McDowell, Ventura and Thomas. We also picked up Fernadez and a few others with our lower draft position. I will just be pissed as all hell if we cheap it out. We need to find either a legitamate ace with upper 90s dominating stuff, or a stud position player that can be inserted in 2 years. Notice Mr. Maybin who jacked a dong off of Roger today as the type of impact. I dont want someone that will take 5 years to sniff the majors.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
Okay, so a small part of me wanted Ichiro to catch that ball. That probably would've been the catch of the year.

Well they have a CF who scales walls, we have a LF who bounces balls off of his head.

Now on the small ball side of the world. Watching Ichiro drag bunt is a thing of beauty. You would think that with Guillens propensity to call for a silly bunt here and there that someone would of taught a simple drag bunt. Everyone on our team just bunts the ball right back to the pitcher. I would love to see Richar drag bunt a few times.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 11:04 PM)
Well from the barren wasteland of the late 80s, those top ten draft picks brought us guys like McDowell, Ventura and Thomas. We also picked up Fernadez and a few others with our lower draft position. I will just be pissed as all hell if we cheap it out. We need to find either a legitamate ace with upper 90s dominating stuff, or a stud position player that can be inserted in 2 years. Notice Mr. Maybin who jacked a dong off of Roger today as the type of impact. I dont want someone that will take 5 years to sniff the majors.

It all depends upon the draft class, their agent/asking price, and whether anyone fitting those descriptions falls to our slot.

I'm just going to assume right now, before I know anything, that we'll be screwed in some way. I'm just waiting until someone says, "this is the worst draft class in recent memory" to reaffirm my fears. And if the class is deeply talented, suddenly, every team will understand the importance of drafting the best players available. Just as now, when we're looking to acquire prospects for our players, suddenly everyone values prospects.

You and I may be overly negative, but it's to the point where minor league production will be crucial to our long term success. We need to hit big in 2008. Due to Buehrle and Dye resigning, we're not going to have an opportunity for additional draft picks. It may be 40 picks between our first and second selection. First round can't be a bust. Just can't be.

You have to love a 100 million dollar team that is in 5th place at this point of the year, and no one has been canned outside of a scouting director.

Meanwhile a 3rd baseman top prospect has come to the big leagues without learning the basics of how to play the position. The range I can deal with. Its the lack of instinct or process on simple ground balls. He doesnt know whether to charge or not and lets the ball play him.

Then again this is the same organization that has a hole in every hitters swing low and away when they come up. The instruction our minor leagues get is probably on par with the ones that the little league world series kids get these days.