SOX @ Mariners 3:05 PM CSN

MHizzle85

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
How does this happen? I just don't get it. How does one guy go from a dominant pitcher to someone who shouldn't be in the majors? Argh.

In Garland's case, without watching or listening to the game, I would guess he has lost the sink in his sinker.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
In Garland's case, without watching or listening to the game, I would guess he has lost the sink in his sinker.

He's electing not to throw it. I think I've seen one good sinker today. A lot of 4-seamers and change ups so far.

Garland as a starter, year by year, ERA vs. WHIP:

2001: 4.03, 1.65

2002: 4.58, 1.40

2003: 4.51, 1.37

2004: 4.89, 1.38

2005: 3.50, 1.17

2006: 4.51, 1.36

2007: 4.86, 1.39

Draw your own conclusion. I say 2005 was a fluke and Jon Garland is an average pitcher.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
Garland as a starter, year by year, ERA vs. WHIP:

2001: 4.03, 1.65

2002: 4.58, 1.40

2003: 4.51, 1.37

2004: 4.89, 1.38

2005: 3.50, 1.17

2006: 4.51, 1.36

2007: 4.86, 1.39

Draw your own conclusion. I say 2005 was a fluke and Jon Garland is an average pitcher.

But its frustrating because we've seen how good and dominating he CAN be, he's just so damn inconsistent. I don't get it.

I'm sure glad Williams decided not to trade Garland when it was obvious to anyone familar with his career his value would never be higher.

Honestly, many of us we're calling that mistake from the moment July past and his remained on this ballclub. Oh man, I can't wait for everyone to throw out excuses as to why Garland will receive nowhere near our expectations in the offseason. What I have to say to that is, oops, too bad -- Williams has to receive a quality package for the success of our franchise.

We absolutely cannot have anymore trades such as those last season with Garcia and McCarthy. Say what you want about "winning" these deals because of injuries to both pitchers, but I don't look at Danks/Masset/Rasner for McCarthy and Floyd/Gonzalez for Garcia as franchise changing trades. As I've said before, those trades are the equivalent of taking one step backwards, one and a half steps forward. You may improve slightly, but not enough to overcome other defencies on the ballclub.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Toby Hall this season for the White Sox has a CERA of 6.61 and rising. For comparison's sake, Gustavo Molina's CERA this season was 4.26 and Pierzynski's CERA is 4.49. Also, Toby Hall's career CERA is in the 5's.

I bring this up because Toby Hall has been just calling terrible games and I don't think he has much, if any, chemistry with any of the pitchers. I could see Donny Lucy being a september call up and possibly replace Hall next season.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
Toby Hall this season for the White Sox has a CERA of 6.61 and rising. For comparison's sake, Gustavo Molina's CERA this season was 4.26 and Pierzynski's CERA is 4.49. Also, Toby Hall's career CERA is in the 5's.

I bring this up because Toby Hall has been just calling terrible games and I don't think he has much, if any, chemistry with any of the pitchers. I could see Donny Lucy being a september call up and possibly replace Hall next season.

I can't believe we didn't DL Hall in July and let him get the surgery. Good point about the chemistry though....it seems odd. This is embarassing right now....someone has to lose their job.

I love how the scorekeepers are doing their best to ensure Garland has as many runs added to his line as possible. Garland isn't helping himself either, obviously.

SOOOOO glad Williams decided not to trade him before the trading deadline. Great move, K-Dub.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
I can't believe we didn't DL Hall in July and let him get the surgery. Good point about the chemistry though....it seems odd. This is embarassing right now....someone has to lose their job.

At this point, every day Hall and his patsy swing remains on the club is another day he's removing himself from next season.

What's so difficult about having the surgery and undergoing rehabilitation before next season begins? Are we just intent on making everything as hard as possible?

Can Vidro still play second? Isn't he a free agent? His power has dipped but he still gets on base at a good rate and doesn't strikeout much which would please Guillen.

EDIT: They already locked him up

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
I don't think Garland cares anymore. Can't really blame him either. He could pitch a great game and still get the L since this team is terrible.

It wouldn't shock me if he's not giving it 100 pct in an effort to save his shoulder. However, he's costing himself an absolute fortune with each s***ty start he has.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
Can Vidro still play second? Isn't he a free agent? His power has dipped but he still gets on base at a good rate and doesn't strikeout much which would please Guillen.

His defense makes Iguchi look like Roberto Alomar.