Sox v. Tampa 8/27/07

Harry Chappas

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
Fields will hit 40 hrs if given a full season of work. Book it.

would you say troy glaus is an accurate career projection for josh? i think its fair, but i think josh will hit for a better average, but in general pretty similar type player.....fields's swing sort of reminds me of phil nevin in his prime

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
would you say troy glaus is an accurate career projection for josh? i think its fair, but i think josh will hit for a better average, but in general pretty similar type player.....fields's swing sort of reminds me of phil nevin in his prime

Thats a pretty good assessment. I was thinking Zimmerman with more power.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
That's f***ing retarded if true.

assuming fields plays Lf for the rest of the season as ozzie said, i dont have any problem with it...its not like missing an inning or two is gonna stunt his development out there

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
assuming fields plays Lf for the rest of the season as ozzie said, i dont have any problem with it...its not like missing an inning or two is gonna stunt his development out there

Assuming he's going to be playing LF every day next season, it would be nice for him to get some experience playing the position in close and late situations. What's the downside to leaving him out there?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
Assuming he's going to be playing LF every day next season, it would be nice for him to get some experience playing the position in close and late situations. What's the downside to leaving him out there?

Setting up a situation where his inexperience costs the Sox a victory ......... something their fragile egos could do without.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:21 PM)

If he is the leftfielder next season, he will be pulled if winning in close/late situations. Fields is a better hitter than Joe Crede right now in my opinion. Although I have not been watching as intently as if they were in it but he seems to not hit the right side of the infield pop up as often. Granted he is in a spot in the order to produce but I just think he will only get better and cut down on the strikeouts.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
If he is the leftfielder next season, he will be pulled if winning in close/late situations.

I sure as hell hope not, believe it or not but bullpens -- especially those as terrible as the White Sox's -- often blow leads. You don't take one of your best hitters out of the lineup in the top of the 8th because he's inexperienced defensively.

So is Fields a terrible defensive LF now? I didn't realize such judgments could be made after only 2 games.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
I sure as hell hope not, believe it or not but bullpens -- especially those as terrible as the White Sox's -- often blow leads. You don't take one of your best hitters out of the lineup in the top of the 8th because he's inexperienced defensively.

So is Fields a terrible defensive LF now? I didn't realize such judgments could be made after only 2 games.

I have never seen him play the position. I assume he won't be a GG player by next April out there. I am not sure why more guys are not pulled in the 9th when their team is winning for better defensive players. This is nothing against Fields.

Jeff Torborg would make such switches in the 6th and 7th innning.

Edited by Jenks Heat