So who has played their last game in a Sox uni?

southsider2k5

Gone are...

Uribe

Pods

Erstad (please, please let him go; I'm fearing he'll be back).

Jose

MacDougal

Sisco

Aardsma

Thornton

Crede (traded in spring training when he proves he can play)

Cintron

Hall

Here's my ideal team

1b- Paulie. 2b-Richar. ss-Renteria or Felipe (please no Eckstein).

3b-Josh (please learn

how to field).

LF - Owens

CF - Hunter/Rowand whoever we acquire.

RF - Dye

C - AJP and new backup.

DH - Jim or Fields if we trade Jim.

SP - Mark, Vazzy, Garland, Danks, Floyd, Charlie.

RP - Boone, Wassy, many many new faces.

Closer- Bobby.

Manager - Ozzie

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 06:07 AM)
my reasoning behind this is a) he still has talent and b.) the Braves aren't gonna be bringing back Andrew Jones.

says who?

The Braves are offering him arbitration, and I imagine that's a given. If so, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him brought back by Atlanta next year, because it'll be hard even for Scott Boras to get Jones as big a deal as Hunter on name alone, and I'd bet that's who they are shooting for contract wise.

LF - Owens/Erstad - Ozzie will select the non hitting guy over the power guy, because the non hitting guy is fast.

2B - Richar

DH Thome

1B Konerko

RF Dye

CF Rowand

C AJ

3B Crede

SS Uribe

Buerhle

Vazquez

Contreras

Danks

Floyd

Bench

Hall, Ozuna, Gonzales, Erstad

Jenks

Thornton

Myers

Logan

Vet acquired in Garland trade

Fields will wind up in AAA for no good reason. Anderson will be traded, McDougal and Aardsma will be traded. Masset will be traded. Pods no tendered.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)
LF - Owens/Erstad - Ozzie will select the non hitting guy over the power guy, because the non hitting guy is fast.

2B - Richar

DH Thome

1B Konerko

RF Dye

CF Rowand

C AJ

3B Crede

SS Uribe

Buerhle

Vazquez

Contreras

Danks

Floyd

Bench

Hall, Ozuna, Gonzales, Erstad

Jenks

Thornton

Myers

Logan

Vet acquired in Garland trade

Fields will wind up in AAA for no good reason. Anderson will be traded, McDougal and Aardsma will be traded. Masset will be traded. Pods no tendered.

72-90, here we come again!

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
72-90, here we come again!

As Williams said, however, all moves are connected.

With the Sox' sights clearly set on signing free-agent center fielders Torii Hunter or Aaron Rowand, landing one would mean Josh Fields and Owens have to compete in left field.

If the Sox opt for Fields, Richar would be the leadoff hitter and second baseman.

One hits 23 homers, the other has one good month. I would rather have Fields in left and let Richar lead off. At least Richar knows how to get on base.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
One hits 23 homers, the other has one good month. I would rather have Fields in left and let Richar lead off. At least Richar knows how to get on base.

While I agree with you about Fields being in LF...

Owens' OBP since his July callup was .342, while Richar's during his callup (also in July) was .289, some 53 points lower. So to say "Richar knows how to get on base" isn't really looking accurate. I like Richar, but he isn't getting on base too often yet.

While I agree with you about Fields being in LF...

Owens' OBP since his July callup was .342, while Richar's during his callup (also in July) was .289, some 53 points lower. So to say "Richar knows how to get on base" isn't really looking accurate. I like Richar, but he isn't getting on base too often yet.

Yes, I just went and checked the stats myself after seeing that comment. I believe Richar will improve, he did some good things. He might know how to get on base, problem is he didn't do it enough.

I don't see Owens or Richar as leadoff hitter in '08, call it a hunch but I think they'll go in another direction.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
Yes, I just went and checked the stats myself after seeing that comment. I believe Richar will improve, he did some good things. He might know how to get on base, problem is he didn't do it enough.

I don't see Owens or Richar as leadoff hitter in '08, call it a hunch but I think they'll go in another direction.

So, 2 parter

1) do you see Owens and/or Richar starting next year?

2) do you see the leadoff hitter being a shortstop?

My impression of Jerry is one of a stop gap or a #9 hitter. If we get Furcal I would like to see Richar Hitting #2 due to his patience (IMO) and his contact rate.

1. Furcal SS

2. Richar 2B

3. Thome

4. Kong

5 Dye

6 Fields LF

7 Crede 3B

8. AJp

9. Owens

Furcal hits LHP quite well which is why I like him between Richar and Owens.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
says who?

The Braves are offering him arbitration, and I imagine that's a given. If so, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him brought back by Atlanta next year, because it'll be hard even for Scott Boras to get Jones as big a deal as Hunter on name alone, and I'd bet that's who they are shooting for contract wise.

Nope.

So, 2 parter

1) do you see Owens and/or Richar starting next year?

2) do you see the leadoff hitter being a shortstop?

No to #1 and I would have to say no to #2 as well. The Sox want to upgrade at SS but it doesn't sound like they feel they can get something done.

I believe their fall back plan is some kind of platoon for the leadoff spot. Maybe Owens has a piece of it, Ozuna, some unknown player.

Strange things are known to happen though. I see more of a shakeup than Williams is letting on, for now.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)

Wow. Boras asking $20 mill per over 7? That's crazy.

Still, that didn't say anything about arbitration, and Boras clients have done this before, with Millwood coming to mind initially. He was coming off a solid year with Philly, wanted to test the market and get a long-term deal, didn't find anything, and came back at $11 mill. He stunk, no arb from Philly, won the ERA crown with Cleveland, and then struck it rich. And if Atlanta doesn't offer him arbitration, I'd be surprised (though it would be understandable as to why they wouldn't).

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
Wow. Boras asking $20 mill per over 7? That's crazy.

Still, that didn't say anything about arbitration, and Boras clients have done this before, with Millwood coming to mind initially. He was coming off a solid year with Philly, wanted to test the market and get a long-term deal, didn't find anything, and came back at $11 mill. He stunk, no arb from Philly, won the ERA crown with Cleveland, and then struck it rich. And if Atlanta doesn't offer him arbitration, I'd be surprised (though it would be understandable as to why they wouldn't).

I can't see them not offering arbitration either. He most likely won't accept.

I don't think the Braves will offer arbitration, either. They had a bad experience with that when they were forced to give Millwood away to the Phillies because they'd offerred Maddux arbitration thinking him gone, Maddux found nothing, accepted, won and handcuffed them. They don't want to risk the same thing with another Boras client although perhaps they do offer arbitration. Who knows.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
I don't think the Braves will offer arbitration, either. They had a bad experience with that when they were forced to give Millwood away to the Phillies because they'd offerred Maddux arbitration thinking him gone, Maddux found nothing, accepted, won and handcuffed them. They don't want to risk the same thing with another Boras client although perhaps they do offer arbitration. Who knows.

The only way they could decide not offering him arb was a good idea was if they didn't want him back at $13.5 million next year, which would just be pretty stupid of them.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
The only way they could decide not offering him arb was a good idea was if they didn't want him back at $13.5 million next year, which would just be pretty stupid of them.

Yeah, all I'm saying is it's possible, especially if they wind up making a splash in a trade and can't afford even the chance that nobody wants Boras' price and Andruw accepts for another year.

Boras is a magician at getting guys contracts you wouldn't think possible. JD Drew ? Tom Hicks, a known Boras sucker is looking for a CF. If ARod opts out, Mr. Hicks doesn't have to pay the Yankees any more of ARods salary, and from what I understand its close to or over $10 mill a year. Boras saves him $10 mill. a year there and in exchange he gives another one of his clients a very nice contract. Its just a thought.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
says who?

Looks like I win :D

They aren't gonna bring back Jones because they don't want to spend the money on him and are probably pretty much set on trying to sign Teixeria to an extension.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Looks like I win :D

They aren't gonna bring back Jones because they don't want to spend the money on him and are probably pretty much set on trying to sign Teixeria to an extension.

You haven't won yet, though it's possible if they don't. I'd still be surprised if they don't offer him arbitration.

I'd also be surprised if Teixeira signed an extension...he kinda has the same super agent who gets his guys to FA, gets them a huge contract, and lets them do whatever they want to.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 01:52 AM)
You haven't won yet, though it's possible if they don't. I'd still be surprised if they don't offer him arbitration.

I'd also be surprised if Teixeira signed an extension...he kinda has the same super agent who gets his guys to FA, gets them a huge contract, and lets them do whatever they want to.

Well, the Braves gave up a s***load of talent up for Teixeria, and I think they really want to sign him to an extension. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves give into Boras and give Teixeria a huge, ridiculous contract. They did give into Daniels and gave him 5 pretty good prospects.