2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weidemann and Murray also mentioned that Havlat skated at full speed today. I think I'm setting myself up for dissappointment, though -- what happens the first time he gets checked into the boards? When Havlat does come back, I'd hope Savard chooses to be extremely careful with him, although I'm not necessarily sure what that constitutes... quicker shifts? Less overall ice time (perhaps giving Kane an extra shift or two that Havlat would normally have)?

The loss tonight sucked, but I expect there to be a lot of crappy losses just as there will be super-exciting wins (and so far the latter has definitely exceeded the former, as losses to San Jose and Minny certainly can't be considered bad losses). It also sounded like Colombus got extremely lucky, capitalizing on just about every scoring chance they had, getting a couple lucky bounces on 'Bulin rebounds.

Oh well... next game isn't going to get much easier, at Boston against a good goalie (either Manny Fernandez or Tim Thomas) and a second year player who the Hawks passed on (to take Toews), Phil Kessel.

Also everyone's been talkin about Kane and Toews for good reason, but I think a guy who's slipped under the radar is Tuomo Ruutu. He seems to be playing very well on a line with those 2, it's EASILY the best for the Hawks.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
Weidemann and Murray also mentioned that Havlat skated at full speed today. I think I'm setting myself up for dissappointment, though -- what happens the first time he gets checked into the boards? When Havlat does come back, I'd hope Savard chooses to be extremely careful with him, although I'm not necessarily sure what that constitutes... quicker shifts? Less overall ice time (perhaps giving Kane an extra shift or two that Havlat would normally have)?

There's nothing you can do. He plays and he plays well or he ends up getting hurt again. There's no real precaution you can take other than putting him in the press box, which doesn't accomplish anything for the team. We'll cross our fingers but I'm not optimistic. Maybe he'll prove us wrong. We can only hope...that 1st line needs to score.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 04:46 AM)
Also everyone's been talkin about Kane and Toews for good reason, but I think a guy who's slipped under the radar is Tuomo Ruutu. He seems to be playing very well on a line with those 2, it's EASILY the best for the Hawks.

Yeah, he was given the third star tonight and had three points. He might not turn into the prolific scorer we'd all hoped for, but if he becomes a solid second-line player who can consistently give the Hawks 20-25 goals and a total of 60-70 points, he'll be a valuable commodity to have and -- more importantly :D -- I'll finally have a jersey that I can wear proudly.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:15 AM)
Yeah, he was given the third star tonight and had three points. He might not turn into the prolific scorer we'd all hoped for, but if he becomes a solid second-line player who can consistently give the Hawks 20-25 goals and a total of 60-70 points, he'll be a valuable commodity to have and -- more importantly :D -- I'll finally have a jersey that I can wear proudly.

Haha, ditto

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)

Ruutu is pretty talented, but unfortunately for him he's just a role player on that line. Even he said all he has to do is put his stick on the ice and he's going to get points.

This line is dynamic, and you'd like to see them spread the wealth, but I don't think there's a more dangerous line in all of hockey going right now. It's awesome when the 25 year old on the line is the old guy paired with a 19 and 18 year old.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:15 AM)

He filled the role on that line that we need. Someone who is physical, fore checks, and scraps in the corners. This is the role that we need him to play with 2 more talented scorers on his line.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
He filled the role on that line that we need. Someone who is physical, fore checks, and scraps in the corners. This is the role that we need him to play with 2 more talented scorers on his line.

Yeah, but for years he's been touted as all-world talent... it's nice to use his grit, but I want to see him in that role (ive seen it too, and everytime he gets going he gets injured, like when the goal post came down on his leg two seasons ago)

We'll see, three points last night was sweet, but I'd like to see that continue.

Highlights are up on chicagoblackhawks.com for last night's game. Kane's assist to Wizniewski on the fourth goal is awesome. He fends off two checkers on the goal line to get it to Wizniewski who was pinching in (in the slot) and Wizniewski buries it.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Highlights are up on chicagoblackhawks.com for last night's game. Kane's assist to Wizniewski on the fourth goal is awesome. He fends off two checkers on the goal line to get it to Wizniewski who was pinching in (in the slot) and Wizniewski buries it.

Kane is the best thing this city has seen hockey-wise since Roenick's early days... he's a studmuffin.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
Kane is the best thing this city has seen hockey-wise since Roenick's early days... he's a studmuffin.

Kane and Toews are exciting to have, but they'll probably hit that rookie wall at some point. I'm not sure this year will be the year they make the playoffs. But, the 'Hawks time is coming and soon.

So you mean to tell me the Hawks weren't going to go undefeated after their 5-3 start?

Unfortunately for those who are kind-of sort-of jumping on the Hawks bandwagon (and I'm not pointing any fingers, mind you, I'm just saying 'in general'), the Hawks still have a ways to go. Yes, Toews and Kane are phenomenal and so is Havlat when he's healthy, but this is a team that still has some major holes, some of which (defense) were exposed tonight. I mean, Phil Kessel is a great offensive player, as good or better than the two kids we have, but man -- MagJo got beat like a rag-doll on his (second?) goal. I also thought that Khabibulin has now turned in two pretty weak performances -- that third goal he let in tonight was, IMO, pretty weak, although that's probably debatable and most likely a mute point as you're not going to win games scoring all of one goal.

There's also the (continuing) issue of the Hawks having only one line that can do anything offensively. Nobody besides the RTK line (and Lang) is scoring. I'm looking at guys like Samsonov, Williams and Borque -- they're not on the team to do what Adam Burish or Kevin Adams do (forecheck well, play the 'grinder' role) -- they're here to score. Mind you I'm not asking the three of them to score 30 goals a piece, but between the three they have what, two goals? I'm not calling for huge changes yet, but things need to pick up with some of these guys. If by Christmas it's more of the same with the RTK line dominating play and nobody else doing s***, I'd really look at bringing up a handfull of Bickell/Blunden/Skille/Brouwer/Bolland to try and make something happen on offense.

I also saw something last night that I hadn't seen all season -- Boston was extremely physical with the RTK line. Guys were getting in their shots on both Kane and Toews. That's fine, I'm sure they can handle it, but it will be interesting to see if this continues.

The Hawks definitely have a ways to go, anyone who's jumping on the bandwagon must realize that getting the 8th seed in the playoffs this year would be a huge victory in itself. When you bank on two teenagers to carry you, you're going to have some bad games.

Last night's game just further cemented the fact that fighting in hockey is just dumb. Everytime Koci gets out there I want to kil myself because he's just not good and is only looking to kill someone. Unfortunately for him he always ends up looking like a fire hydrant of blood gushing out of his face.

He got his ass kicked by Zdeno Chara big time. I'm so over fighting in hockey.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Last night's game just further cemented the fact that fighting in hockey is just dumb.

He got his ass kicked by Zdeno Chara big time. I'm so over fighting in hockey.

Not really. Koci had a cut above his nose that Chara just cut open. It was a good shot, no doubt, but by no means was it an ass kicking.

And fighting is fine in hockey. I have yet to see a convincing argument why it should be taken out. You take it out and you're going to have more bulls*** stickwork and plays like the Bertuzzi suckerpunch.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
Not really. Koci had a cut above his nose that Chara just cut open. It was a good shot, no doubt, but by no means was it an ass kicking.

And fighting is fine in hockey. I have yet to see a convincing argument why it should be taken out. You take it out and you're going to have more bulls*** stickwork and plays like the Bertuzzi suckerpunch.

I like the fights because it cuts down on the star player of a team getting roughed up, and cuts down on cheap shots. I mean, what if after a late hit on a QB in football, the center, tackle or guard got to fight whoever hit the qb late. I bet that DB would think twice next time.

Also I much rather prefer watching Burish fight than Koci. Hes just so scrappy.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. BTW Keith I don't think it was just a cut, his nose was broken a week or so ago and just got busted open again, so it looked much worse than it was. Koci actually put Chara to his knees early in the fight.

Take it out of the game and hockey would make SC on a weekly basis for stupid stuff. Hockey is a rough, physical game, more so than any other sport. Letting players take out their anger and police themselves by fighting is better than the alternative, period.

Edited by IlliniKrush