2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm;

Handicapping his efforts may be the fact that it is still early in the season. The Ducks, in seeking to land a scorer, have some viable assets they could part with, notably goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, top prospect Bobby Ryan and a 2008 first-round pick.

Now I'm just throwin this out there. I love seeing Marty play as much as anyone, but to be paying $6M a season to someone as injury prone as Havlat has become quite a risk for the Hawks, so would the offer above tempt you to trade Havlat?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 06:32 AM)
Hmmmm;

Now I'm just throwin this out there. I love seeing Marty play as much as anyone, but to be paying $6M a season to someone as injury prone as Havlat has become quite a risk for the Hawks, so would the offer above tempt you to trade Havlat?

It would be tempting to see what Tallon could get in return, but the same injury history that tempts you to trade him would make other GMs leery of giving up too much for him.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
f***ing brutal loss. Can't lose to the worst team in hockey AT HOME. It sounded like the Hawks completely outplayed Atlanta, too. Still gotta find a way to beat that team.

And the .500-or-better record is gone just like that. f***ing a.

They've had a rough start to the season, but the Thrashers are in no way the worst team in hockey. They are without their star goaltender, but any team with Hossa/Kovalchuk is something special, and I expect them to be in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff race by the end of the season.

I mean, come on, the Thrashers won the Southeast Division last year and finished with 97 points. This is a very deep and good hockey team that is just starting slowly.

If you're going to jump on the bandwagon, prepare for some ups and downs, it'll probably be a bumpy ride this year. The Penguins finished 22-46-14 in Sid the Kid's rookie year... it's a process. The old man is dead and home games will be on TV, so this has already been a great season. Add to that Toews and Kane actually looking like the real deal, and I couldn't be happier.

Tough loss, but the kids produced. Go Hawks!

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
The Trashers have played pathetic hockey this year and are without Lehtonen. Hartley was fired. I'd say they were the worst team in hockey going into Saturday's game, which is really all that matters.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. OR we could try to be smart about it and realize they actually do have talent and not jump off ship if the Hawks happen to struggle a bit this year (not you, Krush, but others).

They have some talent, sure. But they have played terribly to start this year and are a mess of a team. You need to find a way to win that game. Keith nor I are jumping ship, far from it, just pissed we can't beat that team at home. There are going to be growing pains, we all realize that. I just want the Hawks to have this town as a whole interested come March because they are somewhere in the mix for the 8 spot. That means no 8 or 9 game losing streaks in November or January, hopefully.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
They have some talent, sure. But they have played terribly to start this year and are a mess of a team. You need to find a way to win that game. Keith nor I are jumping ship, far from it, just pissed we can't beat that team at home. There are going to be growing pains, we all realize that. I just want the Hawks to have this town as a whole interested come March because they are somewhere in the mix for the 8 spot. That means no 8 or 9 game losing streaks in November or January, hopefully.

I'm just afraid of the "season killer" road trips (circus and ice show) with all the young guys the Hawks are counting on.

Veterans like Perreault, Lang, Lapointe and Samsonov are going to have to contribute on those trips (and just in general) to take some pressure off the youngsters.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)
OR we could try to be smart about it and realize they actually do have talent and not jump off ship if the Hawks happen to struggle a bit this year (not you, Krush, but others).

Who the f*** is jumping ship, other than you throwing those whack-ass assumptions out there?

Do you read at all? I had this to say a page back:

Unfortunately for those who are kind-of sort-of jumping on the Hawks bandwagon (and I'm not pointing any fingers, mind you, I'm just saying 'in general'), the Hawks still have a ways to go. Yes, Toews and Kane are phenomenal and so is Havlat when he's healthy, but this is a team that still has some major holes, some of which (defense) were exposed tonight. I mean, Phil Kessel is a great offensive player, as good or better than the two kids we have, but man -- MagJo got beat like a rag-doll on his (second?) goal. I also thought that Khabibulin has now turned in two pretty weak performances -- that third goal he let in tonight was, IMO, pretty weak, although that's probably debatable and most likely a mute point as you're not going to win games scoring all of one goal.

So you're way, WAAAY late to the party in the 'patience' regard.

The Thrashers are playing without their starting goaltender. They were off to a horrible start and outside of one player -- Hossa has been unhappy this whole season in Atlanta and as a result has three points to show for it in the ealy going -- they're a below average (I'd say well below average) hockey team. The Hawks were at home and, at this moment in time, I see the Hawks in a higher light than I do the Thrashers. That's why it was a bad loss.

Saying that doesn't mean I'm jumping ship on the season. Saying that doesn't mean I have Cup expectations. It's just calling a spade a spade, a bad f***ing loss a bad f***ing loss. Stop reading into everything when there's nothing there.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
The "f***ing a" part seemed to point out that you expected at on out of the Hawks and that that loss was going to destroy their season. That's normally how "f***ing a" comes off.

Not really. It was an expression. It would've been all the same if I said something else like "f***ing bulls***, damnit, s***", whatever curse/swear you could think of.

Again -- stop reading into something that isn't there. If you've read any of the NHL stuff I've posted here over the summer or even at the start of the season, you'd know my stance has been (and has remained) "cautious optimism", ie if everything went well, a 6-8 seed in the West wasn't out of the question, but what we'd most likely we'd be looking at is a 8-11 spot with (hopefully) improvement from the kids throughout the year. It's perfectly reasonably to hold those expectations and expect them to beat a bad hockey team at home.

For anyone to read "f***ing a" as meaning it's a loss that's going to destroy a season is idiotic. Gosh damn if that ain't reading into something that isn't there...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)
Not really. It was an expression. It would've been all the same if I said something else like "f***ing bulls***, damnit, s***", whatever curse/swear you could think of.

Again -- stop reading into something that isn't there. If you've read any of the NHL stuff I've posted here over the summer or even at the start of the season, you'd know my stance has been (and has remained) "cautious optimism", ie if everything went well, a 6-8 seed in the West wasn't out of the question, but what we'd most likely we'd be looking at is a 8-11 spot with (hopefully) improvement from the kids throughout the year. It's perfectly reasonably to hold those expectations and expect them to beat a bad hockey team at home.

For anyone to read "f***ing a" as meaning it's a loss that's going to destroy a season is idiotic. Gosh damn if that ain't reading into something that isn't there...

well then. my bust, and my apologies.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
How can anyone say that someone is jumping off the Hawks bandwagon? Anyone who take ANY interest in the Hawks at all is not a bandwagon fan. They arent even close to that point yet.

LOL, good point. If you are constantly posting in a thread about the Blackhawks of all teams like we all do, something must be up.

If anyone was jumping off the bandwagon they've had about 10 years to do so. If you are still here now, you are the few, the proud, the marines...i mean die hard blackhawk fans.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 02:01 AM)
Yeah -- my bad if I was overly harsh in my post as well. Apparently I took my rough day of classes out on you there a bit.

but got your point across.

the few hawks fans that have hung around need to stick together, lol.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
I think Williams might be a little more clutch than Lang. He has had some huge goals for this club.

Ian, you know my feelings about Lang.... :ph34r:

I've been fine with Williams for the most part, but yeah, he's had a few 'big' goals this year.

Lang doesn't bother me as much as you, but he does make some lazy ass passes.