Konerko Speculation

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
The Angels are probably getting the short end of the deal as it is, giving either Santana or Shields; why would they then include another high ceiling arm as well?

They are taking on $20 million, getting older than the Sox, and are forced to resign Garland. Why would they take on $20 million that way when they can just spend $10 mill more, get ARod, and keep Shields, Figgins, and Kotchman, especially knowing how gunshy they have been about making trades in the past?

It's actually $24M next season. For $24M they could probably get Bonds and maybe Jason Jennings or for sure Carlos Silva and keep all their young talent.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
It's actually $24M next season. For $24M they could probably get Bonds and maybe Jason Jennings or for sure Carlos Silva and keep all their young talent.

Actually, I hadn't researched it much, but Shields and Figgins make $9 mill combined next year. Kotchman is like in his 3rd year of service so he's making jacks***.

So, they are essentially not spending $15 mill a year by not making this trade; $15 mill gets you Bonds. I think I just wouldn't make the deal.

Seriously, this move would make all the sense in the world for the White Sox, and no sense at all for the Angels. That's why it's not going to happen.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 11:52 PM)
There are also better ways the Angels could spend $20 million.

They need pop and based on the way the rotation collapsed down the stretch they could use another arm. I don't see any big pop bats on the FA market so Konerko would likely be the best option. He's also a leader and a guy the club could market along with Vladdy. The Angels should have the financial flexibility as well with Colon's contract coming off the books

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
Rodriguez? Bonds?

Is Rodriguez Pudge?? His option was picked up. I agree with Bonds, but I don't think the Angels are interested in him. In fact I'd be quite surprised if they went after him (they will force explore all other options and even if all of them fail I'd say there is just a small chance that they would go to Bonds).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 12:21 PM)
Is Rodriguez Pudge?? His option was picked up. I agree with Bonds, but I don't think the Angels are interested in him. In fact I'd be quite surprised if they went after him (they will force explore all other options and even if all of them fail I'd say there is just a small chance that they would go to Bonds).

Alex Rodriguez

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
Borass has said he will opt out, meaning that he will be a free agent.

I just think in the end no one is going to be able to offer him more than what the Yanks can. That said if they don't, than I agree the Angels would be a likely destination (even though Moreno has consistently said he would never give a ball player that much money, especially because that type of contract could have severe rammifications on Vladdy). I wouldn't be shocked to see McCourt make a major splash and than try to parlay Arod in LA to an eventual new stadium deal.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
Who knows if it is true or not, but the Yanks have said if ARod opts out, they are done talking to him.

Without signing an extension the Yanks lose Hicks $10M a year. If he wants to stay there they have the upper hand with a extension. If he does not take an extension the Yanks get screwed.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)
The Angels are probably getting the short end of the deal as it is, giving either Santana or Shields; why would they then include another high ceiling arm as well?

They are taking on $20 million, getting older than the Sox, and are forced to resign Garland. Why would they take on $20 million that way when they can just spend $10 mill more, get ARod, and keep Shields, Figgins, and Kotchman, especially knowing how gunshy they have been about making trades in the past?

From the sox end, if they traded both Konerko and Garland separately, they should do better than Kotchman, Shields and Figgins. Another young, unproven high end arm or prospect would be about what PK and Garland would be worth.

Whether it makes sense for the Angels, who knows? I could see them going after Konerko, though. The Angels do need to add an impact bat this offseason. The owner and fans will demand it, even at the expense of young players they've been so reluctant to deal in the past.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
From everything I've heard, the Angels are considered the favorites to land ARod.

The Angels owner in August has been quoted as saying "I don't see a $20 million player" on their team. that Arod will likely get more than that...

The Angels owner in August has been quoted as saying "I don't see a $20 million player" on their team. that Arod will likely get more than that...

Thats what I thought too...It's not a secret Boras lives on the westcoast and according to guys like Bill Platchke, he and Art Moreno have some sort of male eye sex going on at home games. Boras supposedly turns and like winks at him when Vladdy get's walked and all kind of weird nonsense. Boras also goes to every home Dodger and Angel game so he has close ties to both owners which is why they suspect the Angels to be the new frontrunners.

And it's not even so much he doesn't see a "20 mil player" on their roster, it's moreso that he said he has a top 3 player in baseball and is only paying him 14 mil or whatever. He said it wouldn't look right and wouldn't do that to Vlad. The money spending can always change, it seems like he has a lot of respect for Vlad and wouldn't want to pay double for Arod, that in Moreno's eyes isn't twice the player. That I can't changing.

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
Thats what I thought too...It's not a secret Boras lives on the westcoast and according to guys like Bill Platchke, he and Art Moreno have some sort of male eye sex going on at home games. Boras supposedly turns and like winks at him when Vladdy get's walked and all kind of weird nonsense. Boras also goes to every home Dodger and Angel game so he has close ties to both owners which is why they suspect the Angels to be the new frontrunners.

And it's not even so much he doesn't see a "20 mil player" on their roster, it's moreso that he said he has a top 3 player in baseball and is only paying him 14 mil or whatever. He said it wouldn't look right and wouldn't do that to Vlad. The money spending can always change, it seems like he has a lot of respect for Vlad and wouldn't want to pay double for Arod, that in Moreno's eyes isn't twice the player. That I can't changing.

That's a good point about Vlad. Paying Arod $30 mill and the other guys "peanuts" isn't going to go over well.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
The whisper since has been, Cashman says that, and Steinbrenner really wants to keep him.

Cashman is a tool. He's just a yes man to the Boss.

What is he suppose to say, "Yeah he can opt out, no big deal."

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
From everything I've heard, the Angels are considered the favorites to land ARod.

He'll opt out and I'm glad. This means it'll save the Rangers 21-30 million (since they're still paying a chunk of ARod's deal).

Now the Rangers can go after Torre Hunter and prevent KW from signing him to a way over-bloated contract.

Hunter lives in Texas and it's been said that he would like to play there and has a good relationship with Tom Hicks.

The opting out of ARod might be more relevant to us than we think.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
Who knows if it is true or not, but the Yanks have said if ARod opts out, they are done talking to him.

That is what I heard too, but yeah, who knows. If he opts out, the Yanks would have to basically double his yearly salary because they wouldn't be getting all those bucks from Texas.

Who was the last player to get a deal for $20mil/year? Manny? Who the hell is going to pay one guy $30 mil for a ton of years? I just can't see it happening once you take the Yankees out of it. Aramis R. signed for 5 years/ $75 mil. Borass wants twice the yearly salary and twice the years while those 2 guys had basically the same stats in 2006 (Aramis better slg, Rod better OBP steals). Rodr had MVP years in 07 and 05, Aramis clearly had the better year in 04. To earn a $300 mil contract it would seem ALROD should putting up an OPS around 1.700 on a yearly basis.

If they lose Rodriguez, the Yanks could sign Lowell to play third, Hunter in center for less than $30 mil and a lot less than 10 years.

Edited by Vance Law