Konerko Speculation

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
I absolutely love Scot Shields.

I love him too, but he was not very good down the stretch and I'm a bit concerned about him slowing down drastically due to being drastically overworked for the past couple seasons. That said, if he's healthy he's a stud reliever.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
The trade would be a financial boon for the Sox. They'd have their CFer for the next few seasons, unless they wanted to ditch Crede altogether, put Figgins (or Fields) at 3B (with the other in left) and go after one of the FA CFers.

If they made this happen, I'd just go with Figgins in center, Fields in left and Crede at third, and would look focus the rest of the winter's efforts on improving at SS. The rotation is going to take a hit if Garland is traded, no doubt, but the team is going to be lacking in some area(s) next year unless Kenny can work miracles.

*Cough* Arod *Cough*

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
The trade would be a financial boon for the Sox. They'd have their CFer for the next few seasons, unless they wanted to ditch Crede altogether, put Figgins (or Fields) at 3B (with the other in left) and go after one of the FA CFers.

If they made this happen, I'd just go with Figgins in center, Fields in left and Crede at third, and would look focus the rest of the winter's efforts on improving at SS. The rotation is going to take a hit if Garland is traded, no doubt, but the team is going to be lacking in some area(s) next year unless Kenny can work miracles.

Garland, besides 2005 and his victory total in 2006 has been pretty much average at best. I wouldn't advocate going with Gavin Floyd or Broadway, or really even Gio, at least until they earn a spot, but there should be an opportunity to pick up an average pitcher at a fair cost.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 05:45 PM)
I love him too, but he was not very good down the stretch and I'm a bit concerned about him slowing down drastically due to being drastically overworked for the past couple seasons. That said, if he's healthy he's a stud reliever.

He's fine, as far as I've heard it was just mechanics. It would suck if we dealt for him and he weren't half the man he has been!

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
I'd settle for Furcal if the Dodgers would take Contreras and a C prospect. That would give the Sox soooo much financial flexibility.

Yes, that would give the Sox tons of financial flexibility but my question is what do they use it on. They would have there entire lineup set and about 20M freed up. Would they spend that money on pitching, as it is obvious they would need to add at least one starter to the rotation (a rotation with Vaz/Buehrle and 3 unknowns would be awfully tough to win with).

If you can get Arod and than find a way to get Santana to be a part of the deal, than you at least have Earvin Santana/Buehrle/Vaz and the ability to move Jose for financial freedom (if wanted) or you could hold onto Jose and than let Danks and the others battle it out for the 5th spot.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)

I would've loved to have Shields a few years ago, but he's on the wrong side of 30, has been used a ton in recent years, and IIRC just got a big contract earlier this year. I fear that he'd be another Billy Kotch.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
I would've loved to have Shields a few years ago, but he's on the wrong side of 30, has been used a ton in recent years, and IIRC just got a big contract earlier this year. I fear that he'd be another Billy Kotch.

I still say just swap Shields with Santana. The Angels soured a bit on Santana and I still think they like Shields a lot (and if they didn't, it has to be because they have concerns about his longevity).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
Scot Shields (32 yo) 3 years, $14.6M remaining on his deal.

2007:

JULY: 11 IP, 5 ER, 1.73 WHIP

AUG: 11 IP, 11 ER, 2.09 WHIP

SEPT: 11.2 IP, 8 ER, 1.29 WHIP

Final 28.1 IP of '07: 7.62 ERA, 1.80 WHIP, .302/.397/.448/.845 Against

While we're on the subject:

Chone Figgins, current contract:

3 years, $10.5 million (2006-2008)

* 2006: $2.25 million

* 2007: $3.5 million

* 2008: $4.75 million

* Eligible for free agency following 2009 season

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
2. I don't buy it. I think it's B&B throwing something out that makes some sense, and seeing if it sticks. Until it gets picked up by someone else, it really isn't even a rumor.

It sounded like Boers just put it together in his head right then and there. I didn't think much of it when he mentioned the deal. This is not a rumor, it's a made up deal with as much validity as anything you'd read on here.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
I was listening to Boers & Bernstein at 4:30 today, and Boers said that this deal is being discussed by the Angels and Sox: Konerko and Garland for Figgins, Kochman and Shields. FWIW.

Gross deal. Shields was failing at the end of the year, Figgins is a super sub player and Kochman hasnt shown enough power potential to replace Konerko.

like the deal....alot....we basically cut 2 huge contracts (24 million next year) and an expiring contract next year in garland, while acquiring shields who is under contract through 2010 for a reasonable 5 mil per, figgins for 4.5 million (one year left), and kotchman who basically makes league minimum and we would have control over for cheap for a few years....

so we fill a huge spot in the pen (the second half for shields is an outlier, unless he is hurt and we don't know about it, the guy has a legit proven track record), add a leadoff hitter who can not only play CF, but play all over the field. While Figgins is unlikely to reproduce .330 .393 .432 (which would have been our team's third highest OPS) id say hes close to a lock for .290 .355 .400 while swipping 40 + bases. then kotchman who ranked by baseball america as the 6th best prospect in baseball in 2005, is still 24, had a .371 obp this year, with more BB than Ks (something remarkable for a white sox) hit a combined .370 in AA and AAA as a 21 year old in 2004...the only thing missing with him is power, and Id be willing to bet he gets 20 HR a year when its all said and done...basically he has a great shot to be john olerud.

we give up garland who we probably wont resign at seasons end anyways, and an aging konerko who by 2010 (and arguably right now) won't be worth the 12 mil we will have to pay him

with all the supposed rumors of KW thinking big i wouldnt doubt one bit if he would use that extra 14 million cleared by this deal to either go after arod this year, or go after santana when he hits the market next year. obviously garland and konerko departing leave big holes, but i believe that the money cleared would go towards filling those holes, if not with one of those two previously mentioned players, but some other impact type bat like one of this years CFers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
Gross deal. Shields was failing at the end of the year, Figgins is a super sub player and Kochman hasnt shown enough power potential to replace Konerko.

I think it's a bad deal also, but you're really underestimating Figgins if you call him a super sub after the season he just had. And maybe underestimating Kotchman in the future, on that we don't know yet.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 06:22 PM)
I think it's a bad deal also, but you're really underestimating Figgins if you call him a super sub after the season he just had. And maybe underestimating Kotchman in the future, on that we don't know yet.

I understand he had a good season this year. With that said, his career .350 OBP would have ALOT of people on here upset if he was our lead off man. Not to mention hes getting into that dreaded 30's range where the speed and sb's start dropping off.

I mean how many people on here were using the OPS argument against Jerry Owens? Chone will have a sub .800 OPS next year most likely. His SLG has only topped .400 2 out of 6 years.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
I understand he had a good season this year. With that said, his career .350 OBP would have ALOT of people on here upset if he was our lead off man. Not to mention hes getting into that dreaded 30's range where the speed and sb's start dropping off.

I mean how many people on here were using the OPS argument against Jerry Owens? Chone will have a sub .800 OPS next year most likely. His SLG has only topped .400 2 out of 6 years.

Actually, I don't think a .350 obp for a guy like Figgins would dissapoint anyone.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
Actually, I don't think a .350 obp for a guy like Figgins would dissapoint anyone.

It's what I'm hoping for From Owens next year...and it'd put him in the upper half of MLB leadoff hitter OBP's if that was all he did.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 06:30 PM)

Then why not use Jerry Owens who is cheaper, younger and already here? He was almost at that OBP from his callup. The big knock about him on this board was his ability to SLG and get extra base hits.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
Then why not use Jerry Owens who is cheaper, younger and already here? He was almost at that OBP from his callup. The big knock about him on this board was his ability to SLG and get extra base hits.

Well, that's actually what I want to do ;) . But if you're going for Figgins, you do get a couple upgrades. You get a guy who can play multiple positions moderately well, you get a guy who has more pop in his bat/higher OPS, you don't have to work another rookie itno the lineup, and you probably get a higher batting average next year, unless this year was a total fluke.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 06:33 PM)

Cause he's not a proven player and he still provides a lot, lot, lot, lot less extra base hits than Figgins. Sure he could develop some more power but he could regress a bit too, we dont know. With Figgins we know for the most part what we're getting and he's proven that he can be a good leadoff hitter in this league. At best, Owens next season gets on base at around the same clip as Chone with a lot less power, and that's the best case scenario imo.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)

I'd like to have both. If Kenny could eat some of Contreras' salary and unload him for Figgins, I'd be ecstatic. Figgins could play CF next year with Owens as a fourth OF. When Crede's gone in '08, move Fields back to 3B, shift Figgins to LF, and stick Owens in CF.