Uribe Re-signed

DBAHO

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Re-signing Uribe is the most secure move for the short term.

Now they have the freedom to avoid mediocre shortstops in free agency and shore up their bullpen, while getting a better CF.

This also helps in trades. They can focus on Crede or Fields in trade offers and shop Garland.

Uribe re-signing doesn't mean he's annointed 2008 starter, it just means that he was the youngest, easiest option that KW had at the time. For all we know, they may trade for a SS and send Uribe packing in another trade later on.

Uribe can also be plan C at third base.

Fields might be better in leftfield or traded for a centerfielder, Crede can be sent to New York/Anaheim/San Francisco for younger players.

It's all speculation at this point, but hey, it's November.

^^^

Thanks for saving me the typing.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm not very happy with this, as I think we could of gone down the trade route and acquired a better player.

Everyone says that if he comes into shape etc. that he can bounce back, but I don't see it happening.

He's had 3-4 seasons here and has gone downhill defensively since he was first acquired, he won't change his tendencies on his swing, so I don't see an improvement coming with his offense (when you have 2 sub .300 OBP seasons, that says it all really), while his defense (range factor I think was the stat) was down from around .940 to under .900 in 2007. That shows how bad of a season he really did have.

He has a lot of talent obviously, but I don't think we'll ever see him put the total package together.

I'd still like to go after Furcal and use Uribe as bait in some other deal.

Could we really have not match Detroit's offer for Renteria?

We probably could, but it would mean us taking on Renteria's contracts and lord knows we can't afford an extra 6 million or something for Renteria.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)

We probably could, but it would mean us taking on Renteria's contracts and lord knows we can't afford an extra 6 million or something for Renteria.

Our lack of "sexy" prospects in the farm system really hurts our ability to trade. Outside of DLS and Gio, there's no one that we can put in a trade to really sweeten the pot.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
Our lack of "sexy" prospects in the farm system really hurts our ability to trade. Outside of DLS and Gio, there's no one that we can put in a trade to really sweeten the pot.

Yep. The Sox have no player comparable to the OF that DET gave up and the pitcher that they sent over was a young ML-ready starter. So, the Sox would have had to ship out Danks and Sweeney and someone else (Egbert?) just to come close to DET's offer. And that's for a year of Renteria + his $11M 2009 option.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
I think it would have been basically a Gio + Aaron Cunningham type of deal to nab Renteria, but Fathom hit the nail on the head.

Here's where not having a good farm system really hurts you.

Trading Cunningham would also require the use of the wayback machine.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
Trading Cunningham would also require the use of the wayback machine.

Yeah I realise he's no longer with us, but I was trying to find a similar prospect to the Detroit OF who was traded, and he best fit the bill, unfortunately he's no longer with us, because I think he has a good chance of becoming a starting major league outfielder.

Actually that's a good question though. Would you have rather kept Cunningham, and no longer have Richar, and use Cunningham with Gio to get Renteria if you could?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)

There's little doubt that we offered Garland or Contreras for Renteria.

Instead of 1-2 years of a 3-5 starter (depending on who we included), the Braves got a very good pitching prospect, projected to be their #5 and a #3 in the future. They have him under control for 6 years. And While Gio and DLS both rank as better pitching prospects than Jurrjens, neither can be as readily counted on as Jurrjens who had a decent initial taste of big league action.

On top of that they got a CF prospect with a ceiling unlike any position prospect in the White Sox organization. Oh and they saved the difference in salary too.

Our package of Garland or Contreras didn't stand a chance from the Braves perspective.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
Yeah I realise he's no longer with us, but I was trying to find a similar prospect to the Detroit OF who was traded, and he best fit the bill, unfortunately he's no longer with us, because I think he has a good chance of becoming a starting major league outfielder.

Actually that's a good question though. Would you have rather kept Cunningham, and no longer have Richar, and use Cunningham with Gio to get Renteria if you could?

Generally, I don't like the idea of trading our top prospects for players who might help us for a couple years during which we're bound to suck, anyway. I mean, for someone like Cabrera you could go that route. But not Renteria.

(Not to imply that we have any chance of landing Cabrera. Cuz...we don't.)

This just in:

Kenny Williams is not stupid.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....eins-healt.html

David Eckstein nicely fit the White Sox's need to improve at the top of the batting order. But questions about Eckstein's history of back problems contributed to General Manager Ken Williams deciding to hang onto veteran shortstop Juan Uribe rather than counting on upgrading at that position.

"(Uribe) can carry you for a week, and then next week look like he's swatting a whiffle ball," Williams acknowledged. "But through it all, he's caught everything hit his way."

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
This just in:

Kenny Williams is not stupid.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....eins-healt.html

He also hinted in the article about still looking for upgrades. Sort of a casual reference, like, "we don't NEED to, but if the right situation comes along..." Classic Kenny.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 06:44 PM)
He also hinted in the article about still looking for upgrades. Sort of a casual reference, like, "we don't NEED to, but if the right situation comes along..." Classic Kenny.

I don't know who else is interested in Eckstein, but I'm sure KW still is. If KW signs Eckstein, it will probably save the team at least as much as they will pay Uribe this season over the course of the contract compared to what he would probably have had to pay him out of desperation.

Well, we just assured ourselves a 90+ loss season. That might have seriously done it. I can't believe Kenny is that much of a f***ing idiot. Wow, just when I start thinking hes getting there (Myers, Erstad) he goes and gives one of the 10 worst hitter in White Sox (MLB?) history a new deal.

Un-f***ing-believable.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)
I don't know who else is interested in Eckstein, but I'm sure KW still is. If KW signs Eckstein, it will probably save the team at least as much as they will pay Uribe this season over the course of the contract compared to what he would probably have had to pay him out of desperation.

No chance. When a GM comes out and says he has concerns about his health, he isn't then going to sign him.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
Well, we just assured ourselves a 90+ loss season. That might have seriously done it. I can't believe Kenny is that much of a f***ing idiot. Wow, just when I start thinking hes getting there (Myers, Erstad) he goes and gives one of the 10 worst hitter in White Sox (MLB?) history a new deal.

Un-f***ing-believable.

I don't know where these magic players are coming from that are better/younger/cheaper than Uribe that you want.

Tejada's not coming.

Eckstein's hurt and older.

Greene's not leaving SD.

Wilson and Everett can't hit for average OR power.

Vizquel's too old.

Furcal might come.

While costing us prime prospects or a quality SP in Garland. Also, he's 13.7 mil a year, declining, and is a notorious "me" guy.

Uribe costs the Sox no players to get and 4.5 mil isn't bad for a SS of his defensive caliber.

I understand your frustration, but the offseason's far from over.

Vizquel and Uribe is actually a wash IMHO when you don't consider the salaries.

People say Omar slipped a little defensively in 2007, but he was still rated better defensively than Uribe that season, and I'll always back him to have a better OBP than Uribe, it's just the power numbers which Juan has a clear advantage in.

If Uribe gets back to where he was before 2007 defensively, then yes he is the better player.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
I disagree. I think he still has interest and would love to sign him, but at the White Sox price.

I dont see that in there at all. I think hes finally learned from signing players like PODS who cant give him nearly a full season.